Badminton 2023 thread

Katieg123

Visit site
They certainly cut out the incident with Cathago, there was a very long hold on course, I think he would have been held at or about f23 which was a bit of a let up fence and I don't remember seeing any horse jump it. Once started there is then the long climb up to the Beaufort Box, it would be very clear at that point if SS was too tired to continue, but really it's just speculation, restarting any horse at that point in the course would not be ideal IMO but that's just the way the chips fall.
They did show Cathago 's fall and him getting up on the replay on Badminton TV. I saw it that way.

I wondered whether some of Oli's round was cut but the commentators seemed confused too so I suspect that there wasn't footage after the lake.

Thanks I was sure I didnt see it! I was watching the full x country on badminton tv last night and was keeping an eye out for her fall.

Kat

Visit site
On Badminton TV playback yesterday morning it showed Cathago hitting the fence and Fiona being thrown over the front. The footage was from the landing side so you couldn't see what happened but it looked as though he misread the question and put his front feet into the ditch. He didn't fall and was on his feet and walking when the footage cut away.

They didn't show him again but said they were getting the horse ambulance to transport him back.

Oli wasn't shown after exiting the lake but the commentary suggested he had been held as Pippa was being held at the start, it subsequently said that he was not continuing but it wasn't clear whether he w/d or was eliminated.

Have they edited again?

oldie48

Visit site
Oh that’s interesting as I’m the opposite re OT - when I watched the round on bbc it looked really clear to me that the horse wasn’t up for getting round those final fences.
I would agree that after f19, where he dropped his back feet on the second table, he looked to be struggling but before that I though he looked fine, as did the commentors who actually said at one point it was an example of good XC riding. He looked very sticky going through the water despite OT taking the longer route, he wasn't the only horse to struggle there and he'd had a confidence knocking incident at f19, however, I do wonder if the "hold" caused a further issue because of an adrenaline dump, but it's pure speculation.

Katieg123

Visit site
On Badminton TV playback yesterday morning it showed Cathago hitting the fence and Fiona being thrown over the front. The footage was from the landing side so you couldn't see what happened but it looked as though he misread the question and put his front feet into the ditch. He didn't fall and was on his feet and walking when the footage cut away.

They didn't show him again but said they were getting the horse ambulance to transport him back.

Oli wasn't shown after exiting the lake but the commentary suggested he had been held as Pippa was being held at the start, it subsequently said that he was not continuing but it wasn't clear whether he w/d or was eliminated.

Have they edited again?

Maybe they removed the footage after it was announced he was PTS?

oldie48

Visit site

Have they edited again?
That's exactly as I remember it live but today the part with Cathago has been edited out as is the mention of the long hold.

Reactions: Kat

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh that’s interesting as I’m the opposite re OT - when I watched the round on bbc it looked really clear to me that the horse wasn’t up for getting round those final fences.
My daughter hadn't seen any social media so didn't know OT had been pulled up, but she messaged me when we were watching on BBC saying "this horse is knackered, he should pull up" before they said he had been stopped.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think they did cut out some of Olivers round, probably because it was too disastrous and they knew a fall was coming had he carried on. I honestly thought he was an absolute disgrace just like last time! He clearly hasnt learnt anything and shows total disregard for his horse. Im shocked owners still give him horses to ride. Why doesnt he get a suspension? Surely if FEI officials have to stop you on the course then youve gone too far and should be punished as such. He knows exactly what he was doing, hes extremely lucky SS didnt have a horrific fall as a result. He should never be on a team, hes a terrible role model for the sport which I thought we're trying to clean up in a big way.

equinerebel

Visit site
I think they did cut out some of Olivers round, probably because it was too disastrous and they knew a fall was coming had he carried on. I honestly thought he was an absolute disgrace just like last time! He clearly hasnt learnt anything and shows total disregard for his horse. Im shocked owners still give him horses to ride. Why doesnt he get a suspension? Surely if FEI officials have to stop you on the course then youve gone too far and should be punished as such. He knows exactly what he was doing, hes extremely lucky SS didnt have a horrific fall as a result. He should never be on a team, hes a terrible role model for the sport which I thought we're trying to clean up in a big way.
I agree with this. It's not the first time this has happened and it looks bad on the sport

I agree with benefit of the doubt until it becomes a pattern of behaviour

nikkimariet

Visit site
I would agree that after f19, where he dropped his back feet on the second table, he looked to be struggling but before that I though he looked fine, as did the commentors who actually said at one point it was an example of good XC riding. He looked very sticky going through the water despite OT taking the longer route, he wasn't the only horse to struggle there and he'd had a confidence knocking incident at f19, however, I do wonder if the "hold" caused a further issue because of an adrenaline dump, but it's pure speculation.

Horse looked tired already by F12. Was barely cantering at F19 in spite of OT flapping and throwing the reins at the horse. OT should know better but his rep is what it is for this reason. Disgraceful not to see him be pulled up before that fence let alone directly after it and allowed to continue.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Cathago incident didn't look life threatening when it was shown on BadmintonTV. As said, the camera was on the landing side and it appeared that he suddenly put a stop in at the fence and catapulted his rider over onto the landing side. It was a horrid shock to later hear that he had been badly injured.

I'm rather surprised and dismayed at the posters who seemed to think that Swallow Springs wasn't too tired after demolishing the table and clambering over the fence in the lake. They'd started well over the first few fences but then it gradually became more laboured. At the time, watching live, I thought that Oli was going to rightly pull up after the lake as SS was out on his feet, but then it all went quiet for a while.

Scoti1420

Visit site
RE-watching Oli's round - you can see after hitting the table SS is less responsive to the leg - OT gives him a 'wake up' signal and barely any reaction, and then the turn back immediately after missing at the corner in the water - he gives it a pat but there is NO gas left in that horse at all

oldie48

Visit site
Horse looked tired already by F12. Was barely cantering at F19 in spite of OT flapping and throwing the reins at the horse. OT should know better but his rep is what it is for this reason. Disgraceful not to see him be pulled up before that fence let alone directly after it and allowed to continue.
Looked at it again and still see something different btw I am not defending OT continuing with a tired horse just felt some of the comments made about the first part of the course before the tables were unfair and after the water we didn't see him at all as I'm pretty certain that was the last recorded bit of his round.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
The Cathago incident didn't look life threatening when it was shown on BadmintonTV. As said, the camera was on the landing side and it appeared that he suddenly put a stop in at the fence and catapulted his rider over onto the landing side. It was a horrid shock to later hear that he had been badly injured.

I'm rather surprised and dismayed at the posters who seemed to think that Swallow Springs wasn't too tired after demolishing the table and clambering over the fence in the lake. They'd started well over the first few fences but then it gradually became more laboured. At the time, watching live, I thought that Oli was going to rightly pull up after the lake as SS was out on his feet, but then it all went quiet for a while.

Looked at it again and still see something different btw I am not defending OT continuing with a tired horse just felt some of the comments made about the first part of the course before the tables were unfair and after the water we didn't see him at all as I'm pretty certain that was the last recorded bit of his round.

Look at the horses eventing record - he is certainly fit, three quick runs this season. I got the impression he didn't want to be there... Not necessarily that there was no gas. Nonetheless was not an edifying sight.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
And some horses go best when it feels easy and they enjoy it. I can name tonnes of horses who haven’t made it 5* because they don’t like to dig deep and it feels hard to them. Mollie Summerlands would be a classic.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
And some horses go best when it feels easy and they enjoy it. I can name tonnes of horses who haven’t made it 5* because they don’t like to dig deep and it feels hard to them. Mollie Summerlands would be a classic.

Pippa Funnells 2nd ride looked hard work as well and not the most honest - can't remember if he did Burghley but he downed tools at Badminton last year too, at the same jump and was having to be driven at some of the ones prior. I'm obviously nowhere near her level, but I'm surprised she didn't make him properly jump that combination before retiring - it looked quite a naughty stop, he was downing tools on the approach

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes - remember Annie Clover, Nicola Wilson’s mare. Should’ve been a great 5* horse, but just wouldn’t.

I thought Oli didn’t look great on either horse Xc. A good picture of OT normally Xc is he and his horse pushing on together- this time the horses didn’t look as together with him (obviously more so SS) and OT was doing a bit of “kick and flap” on approach here and there. The silence is strange too. After the commentary hints at bad riding and bringing the sport into disrepute, it’s weird that there have been no comments whatsoever. Almost like it’s being brushed under the carpet (of mud!) or a response is being carefully structured.

meandmyself

Visit site
SS hae made it clear he doesn't enjoy it any more. OT should have pulled up after they flattered the table - even my totally non horsey dad said SS looked exhausted!

LEC

www.youtube.com
Pippa Funnells 2nd ride looked hard work as well and not the most honest - can't remember if he did Burghley but he downed tools at Badminton last year too, at the same jump and was having to be driven at some of the ones prior. I'm obviously nowhere near her level, but I'm surprised she didn't make him properly jump that combination before retiring - it looked quite a naughty stop, he was downing tools on the approach
Tina commented that he seems to hate Badminton. Must love a hill as he went well at Bicton and Burghley. Pippa never goes very fast on him so I suspect he is another who is a bit careful and very much likes certain conditions and the holding ground just made him give up and not enjoy it. I was surprised he was 70% blood. I walked the course early yesterday and there was a noticeable difference in the ground from the rail to step down back until Mars M where it was very holding and the footprints went very deep. Back after Mars M it was perfect going again which is why I suspect several finished fine as were not having to dig so deep or conked out at the lake. My 100 horse is one who hates having to work hard and is not one who is ever going to dig deep but loves the hard because of the way she jumps and skips along the ground.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
badminton seems to be loosing its "international flare"................. i might be wrong but there seem to be less than normal and more UK

LEC

www.youtube.com
Maybe it's a brexit thing?
Yep, it’s very expensive to come to UK now and also there is no need to do a 5* now so lots of Europeans won’t. Micheal Jung has said he has 1 horse
At the level so why run it at 5*? No need for euros or Olympics.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yep, it’s very expensive to come to UK now and also there is no need to do a 5* now so lots of Europeans won’t. Micheal Jung has said he has 1 horse
At the level so why run it at 5*? No need for euros or Olympics.

Yes very expensive and you can’t bank on the ground being great. So many events were cancelled this year in the U.K. The french seem to have had lots of runs at home (I follow a few on Facebook)