Badminton 2024 thread

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Perhaps in the 70s, maybe early 80s, but certainly not recently/since the loss of roads and tracks etc. Burghley's always had different rules however. From Badminton's own website:

Riding three horses in the same competition at Badminton has been achieved twice. Bill Roycroft (Australia) rode Eldorado, Stoney Crossing and Avatar in 1965. Roycroft was second on Eldorado and sixth on Stoney Crossing which, the previous month was third in the Cheltenham Gold Cup behind Arkle and Mill House. Five years later in 1970, Lorna Sutherland, now Lorna Clarke, also rode three horses on the same day – Popadom, Gypsy Flame and The Dark Horse. Riders are now restricted to riding no more than two horses in the same competition.

Should have added first time in a long while to my original post.

Heard something fascinating on the eventing podcast, which is that Lorna Clarke not only rode all three horses on the same day, in the full old long-format competition, she did it all without a groom to help her!!! Now that's tough.

Also interested to hear that Ros Canter has withdrawn Izilot DHI from Kentucky and is definitely planning to take him to Badminton. I think of him as being a very modern dressage-y type and not a mud monster, but he is so incredibly talented (and so is Ros) that perhaps they could still go and win it. He did go well at Chatsworth last year in very deep going in the 4*. Quirky, tricky horse mind.

As much as it isn't my rider choice, I can also see Ballaghmor Class toughing it out to win.

I think David Doel and Gallileo Niewmoud have a great shout too and I'd love to see Tom Jackson do well again with Capels Hollow Drift.

teapot

Visit site
Heard something fascinating on the eventing podcast, which is that Lorna Clarke not only rode all three horses on the same day, in the full old long-format competition, she did it all without a groom to help her!!! Now that's tough.

Also interested to hear that Ros Canter has withdrawn Izilot DHI from Kentucky and is definitely planning to take him to Badminton. I think of him as being a very modern dressage-y type and not a mud monster, but he is so incredibly talented (and so is Ros) that perhaps they could still go and win it. He did go well at Chatsworth last year in very deep going in the 4*. Quirky, tricky horse mind.

As much as it isn't my rider choice, I can also see Ballaghmor Class toughing it out to win.

I think David Doel and Gallileo Niewmoud have a great shout too and I'd love to see Tom Jackson do well again with Capels Hollow Drift.

Without a groom is insane?! I wonder if each horse had its own tack, or was there just a lot of swapping going on?

Squeak

Visit site

Wow that really is tough!

Chiffy

Visit site
My Son in Law’s Aunt worked as a groom for Lorna Clark. I don’t know if it was when she rode 3 at Badminton although I remember her doing so. I think the story has been a little enhanced as it would have been completely impossible to manage on your own, coming in from the steeplechase before xc. She may not have had a paid groom there but she would have had help.
I shall see if I can find out from this Aunt.

Northern Hare

Visit site
My Son in Law’s Aunt worked as a groom for Lorna Clark. I don’t know if it was when she rode 3 at Badminton although I remember her doing so. I think the story has been a little enhanced as it would have been completely impossible to manage on your own, coming in from the steeplechase before xc. She may not have had a paid groom there but she would have had help.
I shall see if I can find out from this Aunt.
Yes, I do agree with this. Years (and years) ago, I was helping a friend who was looking after one of three horse and rider combinations competing at Badminton. It was long format, and just the logistics of getting all the kit to/from the steeplechase (which was in the field across the road where the airstrip is), the R&T's, and then the XC was a major operation for the support teams. I really can't see how Lorna (although a totally amazing horsewoman) could have managed without a groom, but I am happy to be corrected.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I’ve been on and off for the past 30 years, I haven’t booked tickets but I might go on grassroots day if the weather is nice, it’s much quieter and you can walk the course and shop in peace. It’s only an hour from home so as long as DH does the school run it doesn’t take much planning.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just watching the 75th anniversary prog, not long now!
Just watched that now. Why did I find it so emotional?! The bit about the homebred who still lives in the stable he was born in sent me right off!

Watching vintage Badders now...1984. A horse fell in a ditch under a fence, rider fell off, got back on, horse refused, presented third time and went over, the horse managed to fall into the ditch from the other side so she fell of again. And then she got back on and carried on?!! Very different times. My poor dog's nap keeps getting interrupted by me going 'oh my god'! 😂

I thought about going this year but it's so expensive. I think I will go to see Grassroots instead then do Badminton TV this year as not done that before.

Chiffy

Visit site
SaddleP, back in the day, it was always get back on and carry on, especially if you were in a team.
I suppose the most famous case was The Princess Royal, ( Princess Anne at the time) falling at the notorious 3rd fence in Russia. She was reunited and jumped round but had no recollection afterwards!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm going on Cross Country Day, thanks to a kind person buying the tickets. It is a long, long time since I have been for the live Cross Country as recently I have been on a Grassroots Day, watched some of the action and some of the people I might know then walked the large fences. It must be pre Covid, thinking about it, since the last time. And I was equipped with a shooting stick so I could sit down if my arthritic knee gave way. That was (not) fun.

Saw a Facebook message that said they haven't had as much rain as some places and some of the tentage is already up.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thanks for sharing this! Fence 13 😱
Mark Todd "it should give you a really good feeling"

Sure... if you like the feeling of your soul leaving your body at speed!

I did an out loud swear when they panned over the fence to show the drop. 😂

Eta - it will be interesting to see if/how the new safety fences work alongside the pinned fences. Having watched the vintage Badminton videos I have to say I am really glad crashing falls like that are not being seen as the norm and safety is continuing to be addressed.

Nicnac

Visit site
Are the new safety fences penalised? The one into the water sort of bends over easily which is great for the horses but not if it incurs penalties.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Are the new safety fences penalised? The one into the water sort of bends over easily which is great for the horses but not if it incurs penalties.
Yes it will as will be classed as hitting a pin. They have done loads of studies on the force needed to activate and it’s substantial. Riders just need to ride it better…. They have collapsible tables as well.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Spoke to someone at the yard today who knows one of the secretaries (isn’t the horse world great? 😊) - they want to run come hell or high water, and are concerned by the lack of ticket sales so far

Which I’d picked up from the social media coverage to be fair!

Izilot for the win please 😊😊

paisley

Visit site
I can possibly see how Lorna Clarke could have managed 3, if you didn’t have anyone doing the roads and tracks. Back in the day it was rather viewed as if you didn’t get through that, not much point in doing the XC. A Kiwi riders groom tried to bring the usual kit to the Burghley roads and tracks and was very bluntly told spare shoes and a pair of reins if they really wanted to but the rider wasn’t fussed!

Fanatical

Visit site
Shame about Tregilder. He has been unlucky, falling when nearly home at Burghley and then his rein snapping last year. He was 2nd at Pau and would have had a great chance of giving Oli the grand slam. He has only had one OI run this year so presumably has some niggles. It will be a big ask for BC to do the same. He's getting on a bit and his SJ isn't always reliable. Some horse if he pulls it off though!