Badminton Grassroots - what an experience!

star

Visit site
Last year's Badminton didn't exactly go to plan. We qualified for the 90, had been out winning at 100, did a great dressage for 27.8, clear SJ and then I went flying at the coffin which was way more than he had ever seen before.

So, the last year was spent doing much more in the way of XC schooling (having previously thought we had that phase pretty sorted) - we went and found as many coffins as possible, we practised jumping anything we could find on top of a slope or into water and I worked hard on my XC position and rider effectiveness. Last year's Regionals saw us fail to qualify at 90 but manage to do it at 100 on first attempt. The beginning of this year didn't go to plan with Monty getting a nasty kick to his stifle mid March and missing most of his prep runs. We managed a steady DC at SOE and then a really confident, fast DC at Hambleden though so felt as ready as we could be. Then the course photos went up a week before Badders and quite frankly scared the life out of me. Way more technical than anything I'd seen up to now. Still new to eventing having only started at 80 4yrs ago and the coffin looked even bigger and scarier than ever as well as all the other questions. Still, I figured the weather couldn't possibly be any worse than last year which might help.

Before we left:
20150504_105211.jpg

My good luck bear from super sponsors West Kent Saddles
20150503_011533.jpg

Oh, how wrong I was there! We went up on Monday lunchtime and the weather wasn't too bad but Tuesday brought heavy rain and high winds. Monty hates windy, rainy weather and so do I. I wouldn't normally bother riding him in those conditions. He can be so sharp and unpredictable.

Looking a little wild:
20150504_183757.jpg

I had to be led from the stables to the warmup arena as he was napping so badly. He did the best test he could in the circumstances. I was really proud of how he held it together but it did feel like I was nursing him round and that he might explode at any second. Still disappointed with a score of 36.8 putting us way down the order. However, I wasn't there to win it and the jumping phases were quite enough challenge to just survive! Walked the XC course 3 times in total and it seemed to grow in size and difficulty each time! They had put quite a few alternatives in this year though so at least more of a chance of getting round and completing. Walked the SJ which was a full up 1.10m course with big square oxers and lots of related distances but we have done so much work with Chris Burton on my SJ that I felt quite happy with the course.

Sleepless night on Tuesday as the rain beat on the horsebox roof and I almost wished they might call it off the next day (absolute de ja vu to the previous year!). Went to tack up for SJ in the dry and suddenly the heavens opened, the rain was horizontal and actually hurt as it whipped across your face. I had to be led to the SJ warmup but then he wouldn't do anything once in there, whipping round, rearing etc. The flags were flapping away and we were feeding off each other's nerves. I made a hasty retreat to the dressage warmup and tried to get him listening to me again. Pep talks from friends were failing and I was all set to go back to the stables and withdraw when I saw my boyfriend running across with Chris Burton who had come all the way across from the main site in the pouring rain to help me warm up. He got me to focus and with some determination get Monty to concentrate on a few practice fences. It wasn't ideal but in we went. He jumped his socks off but just got a bit long and flat towards the end and breathed on the last 2 rails. At this point Chris told me he expected nothing less than a clear round XC, he hadn't come all that way in the pouring rain for me to withdraw and to get on with it! Thank god for someone who I really respect giving me the kick I needed.

No idea how we knocked this down!
FB_IMG_1430939859652.jpg

Wet and soggy:
FB_IMG_1430939848506.jpg

https://youtu.be/tUXBRPaBLgY

We got changed for XC, determined to avoid the age long wait we had last year that wound him up no end. They announced XC was running 10mins late so we wandered over to be told the one before me had gone to the start which suited us fine. Quick pop over a warmup jump, one on the angle and off we went! Given we were out of the reckoning by a long way I opted not to run for the time and to take a couple of alternatives (one at the water and one at the huge left corner) to help ensure we got a clear round. I was still fully expecting not to get any further than the coffin. He felt really confident, aced the skinny brushes and the combination before the coffin and then it was coffin time. I told him to pay attention, I sat up, I gave him the biggest growl ever and before I knew it we were over!!! What a feeling.

https://youtu.be/-wj0PzE-wsQ

The rest felt like a breeze after that and we were through the finish with the biggest number of time pens ever but clear!!! What a high. So chuffed with the boy. Despite the terrible weather we achieved my aim of going clear round the XC. What a superstar he is!

fence 2 XC:
FB_IMG_1430939873492.jpg

fence 5c - coming out of the water
Badminton%2BGrassroots%2BBE100%2BChampionships%2B2015%2B-%2B2

fence 8 XC:
Screenshot_2015-05-12-17-19-43-1.png

fence 9b - the 2nd of the skinny brushes:
Screenshot_2015-05-12-17-19-53-1.png

https://youtu.be/jn9F8LvbFuY

fence 18 XC:
Screenshot_2015-05-12-17-20-11-1.png

post XC love:
20150506_123327.jpg

20150506_123402.jpg

On Saturday after a few days of enjoying the Badders action we went for a hack round the estate with a couple of others and got the obligatory Badminton House photo!
20150509_185441.jpg

through the ears shot:
20150509_185516.jpg

And just because we can - it might have taken years to convince him to do a flying change but now he's got them he's showing off!:
https://youtu.be/bByJn-nCQdQ

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Lovely to read that and see all the photos. Daughter was mounted steward on the first part of the xc for the morning so we know exactly what the weather was like - horrendous. Well done you - you must be very proud. Going to try for a hat trick of visits?

j1ffy

Visit site
I've been looking out for this update! Well done!!! Monty looks very confident and the xc photos are fab :D

armchair_rider

Visit site
Well done to all of you, including Chris. Really enjoyable report to, though I hope Monty won't get too ambitious after seeing the 4* course.

star

Visit site
Somehow I don't think Monty sees the 4* course within his remit. He did enjoy a gallop round the estate on Saturday evening in company though. We went through the Shogun hollow if that counts as riding any of the 4* course lol.

Kikke

Visit site
LOVE the growl!!!
Well done you, you could really hear the wind and rain whipping round! that smile says it all doesn't it!

Cragrat

Visit site
Seriously impressed!

That was not nice competing weather, even for a local hunter trial, let alone Badminton.

Well done both of you������

sjb10

Visit site
well done, especially with the weather - clear XC at Badminton :)
and thanks for sharing the photos and experience.

ihatework

Visit site
Fantastic, you have worked so hard with him
I thought you were really unlucky in the sj, he was positively pinging!

siennamiller

Visit site
I have been eagerly awaiting your report. It's such a shame the weather was so vile, sounds like you did a fab job, considering now much he hates the rain. The course looks a bit scary. Well done on your xc clear :)

star

Visit site
So happy for you !!

That xc looks big !! The skinny brush takes skinny to another level

Not only taking skinny to another level but on more than a 45 degree angle. There was no real way to be able to tackle them straight on and with it being part a and b you couldn't circle either. I just tried to keep him straight and focused and leg on! According to H&H analysis it caused nearly as many stops as the coffin!

star

Visit site
Fantastic, you have worked so hard with him
I thought you were really unlucky in the sj, he was positively pinging!

I was quite gutted to have the last 2 down as he was flying but he jumped into the final double massive and I just didn't sit him up enough going down the 5 strides to the skinny full up 1.10m vertical. I thought I got him back round the final turn to the oxer and he pinged it but just dragged his hind toes across it. Biggest course we've jumped without any kind of warmup round though and wouldn't have been possible 18mths ago. Chris has totally turned around my SJ and actually feel happy going in and jumping that height now which is amazing after all my confidence issues with SJ!

humblepie

Visit site
Super report and well done. Was truly horrid weather and what fun to have a canter round on the Saturday evening. Awesome experience all round.

Firewell

Visit site
Ewww that weather!!! It looks horrendous. Blimin well done to you both, especially considering the conditions :).

monte1

Visit site
Yet another who has been waiting with bated breath to hear your report. fantastic ....just bl**dy fantastic. well done for the clear XC, brilliant achievement, loving the photos, Monty looks fantastic.
bet you are still on a high even now.
I have just bought a new five year old and would love to try to get to badders with him, reading your blogs and reports gives me hope and inspiration ! :)

Dunlin

Visit site
Super report, great photo's and a huge WELL DONE!!! I love the "wild ginger beast" shot!

I must admit to having a sneaky peak at the results a few days ago, I saw you were clear XC and gave you a clap! :D

To feel even more proud, have you seen the H&H article over the Grassroots fences and where the problems were?

9a/b World Horse Welfare Brushes - 22 refusals and 1 fall
14a/b/c Shogun Hollow - 27 refusals and 3 falls

You got a clear round!!

stormclouds

Visit site
Huge well done!!! Fab pics and vids. Monty is lovely!

Couldn't believe the weather for the grassroots - I'd say even getting on in that deserved a medal.

star

Visit site
Super report, great photo's and a huge WELL DONE!!! I love the "wild ginger beast" shot!

I must admit to having a sneaky peak at the results a few days ago, I saw you were clear XC and gave you a clap! :D

To feel even more proud, have you seen the H&H article over the Grassroots fences and where the problems were?

9a/b World Horse Welfare Brushes - 22 refusals and 1 fall
14a/b/c Shogun Hollow - 27 refusals and 3 falls

You got a clear round!!

I saw that analysis. Feel very proud to be one of only 48% to get round clear after all my doubts and worries leading up to it. I just didn't think I was a good enough rider to cope with all those questions but proved we can do it as a team. All that hard work practising paid off big time. Very grateful we worked on angled brushes 2weeks ago for sure! Monts is just such an awesome boy.

star

Visit site
Huge well done!!! Fab pics and vids. Monty is lovely!

Couldn't believe the weather for the grassroots - I'd say even getting on in that deserved a medal.

Me too! Me and Monts don't do rain. I normally withdraw if I know the weather is going to be anywhere near that bad and wouldn't even ride at home in it! The Grassroots field is so exposed it makes the weather even worse. It'll probably be amazing next year and I won't be there lol.

star

Visit site
Yet another who has been waiting with bated breath to hear your report. fantastic ....just bl**dy fantastic. well done for the clear XC, brilliant achievement, loving the photos, Monty looks fantastic.
bet you are still on a high even now.
I have just bought a new five year old and would love to try to get to badders with him, reading your blogs and reports gives me hope and inspiration ! :)

Definitely still on a high. Will take a while for that to subside. Monts proves that any horse with a good heart can get to Badders. He may only be little but he tries so hard for me.