Badminton thread!

PolarSkye

Visit site
She gave the horse 2 reminders going in but it still stopped. It was in a bit of a heap at the bottom of the fence so not the time to reprimand it then either.
The horse swung itself away from the fence & she gave it another 2 smacks. Possibly not the best point to do it but given that I've never ridden around Badminton & I don't know the horse I wouldn't like to pass judgement on it.

I've not ridden round Badminton either, but if I had a weary/unready horse underneath me, I wouldn't be thinking the best way to motivate it was to leather it AFTER it had swung away from the fence.

I know it was a moment in time - but it was unpleasant moment in time to watch.

P

Darremi

Visit site
I agree that it looked bad on TV and perhaps for that reason it should be avoided at Badminton.

But in principle there is nothing wrong with a reasonable and fair reprimand for a disobedient horse.

The strange thing is why the horse was so tired at that point. The lake was only (I think) fence 7 on the course!

I would say that across the board fitness is a real issue at Four Stars nowadays. For the past few years at Badminton horses have finished looking exhausted. I appreciate that heavier horses are now going round Four Star. But there were several pure TBs yesterday that looked equally knackered.

In the past those horses would have done Steeplechase at 620mpm and miles of R + T. The question is why are so many horses unfit?

Last edited:

siennamum

Visit site
Oh come off it, this is the Badminton thread, it's going to contain the latest results and news. Annoying? Maybe if you want to sit in suspense for 90mins too late. Mean? Not at all.

Appears BBC are only showing the top 8 anyway...

actually a shame for those of us who were looking forward to the suspense of watching it on the telly. I was really annoyed to make the mistake of clicking on here and seeing the results, should have had a spoiler alert

AandK

Visit site
I purposely didn't log on here or look on Badminton website while watching the BBC highlights, as it was rather clear the SJ wouldn't be live..

Well done to Sam Griffiths!! And also Ollie and Harry, a true test right til the end!

nervous nelly

Visit site
I hate to sound really thick... but why do people dislike Oliver townend? I have only recently heard of him (not really followed the sport on TV as didn't realise it was even televised anymore until last year) and I went to a demonstration he did with Geoff Billington and seemed like a nice enough chap

oldvic

Visit site
I went and didn't think the ground was bad at all, hardly a mark on the course. I quite enjoyed not having to rush from one fence to another to avoid missing things. We even sat down and had a picnic between horses at once fence! The wind was ferocious though, I agree. I felt for those cameramen trying to keep the cameras still on those poles in the wind.

Just because it stays green doesn't mean it isn't hard work for the horses. When they go to push off it they don't get any spring. It was holding them a little - a bit like running in treacle - and it just shortens their stride a touch. Each fence is that much more effort to jump.

I thought the ground held up well yesterday and the wind (although tiring) was really helping it dry out which should help today too.

It was also nice to see the XC problems spread around the course.

Has AN said anything/been interviewed? I heard him after the dressage saying he didn't think the b element of fence 18 should have been taken out......

The wind is only drying when it stops raining!! The wind is quite disorientating and unsettling for horses when it is that strong. A cross or head wind is hard work and by the end of the day the light was very variable particularly under trees (the new pond and huntsman's close).

Andrew merely said there was nothing wrong with 18b and he would have been quite happy to jump it. I think that statement still stands even though he had a bad day - he didn't blame the course design as such for that. I think he knows the reasons for Nereo's mistake and can fix Quimbo's.

This is actually a tough call. When a horse puts in a dirty stop like that you do have to let them know that they have done something wrong.

Unfortunately, it looked bad on TV.

What is worse IMO is riders whipping their horses because they are tired at the end of the course. That is completely unecessary and unfair. It should attract some sort of punishment.

Rathmoyle King's stops were not dirty. He is an older horse and had to get his qualifying points with a pro as Carolyne couldn't get good enough results with him to get in or get high enough on the wait list. He probably didn't feel the confidence and help that he enjoyed at Luhmuhlen to go clear inside the time and thought discretion was the better part of valour.

Last edited:

glamourpuss

Visit site
I hate to sound really thick... but why do people dislike Oliver townend? I have only recently heard of him (not really followed the sport on TV as didn't realise it was even televised anymore until last year) and I went to a demonstration he did with Geoff Billington and seemed like a nice enough chap

By his own admission Oliver has made some decisions with regards to his career/ horses in the past that haven't always painted him in a...how shall we say....trustworthy & good light.
He also had/has a ban for drink driving which is an imbecilic thing to do IMO.

nervous nelly

Visit site
By his own admission Oliver has made some decisions with regards to his career/ horses in the past that haven't always painted him in a...how shall we say....trustworthy & good light.
Thanks I might have to have a google

apachediamond

Visit site
Thoroughly enjoyed this years Badminton although I am now 10 nails lighter on my hands and a couple of pounds heavier from sitting pigging on popcorn and chocolate yesterday :D

Well done Harry and Ollie, fantastic result.

Trules

Visit site
what a great competition! to see such a shake up after the dressage, fantastic. also so many riders were really emotional talking about their horses, which was lovely to see! well done to all. a completely captivating event!

Sandstone1

Visit site
actually a shame for those of us who were looking forward to the suspense of watching it on the telly. I was really annoyed to make the mistake of clicking on here and seeing the results, should have had a spoiler alert

Glad some one agreed with me.

starryeyed

Visit site
^ Sadly I don't think we can watch the individual rounds anywhere, but the highlights are supposed to be on iplayer & horse and country TV are doing a badminton special later in the month.

Wishful

Visit site
Was watching the highlights and listening to radio badminton up to the last 5 at which point I turned it off and avoided all social media until the BBC coverage caught up. Often have to do so with programmes I have recorded so tactics well honed!

Short assessment is that riders should be careful what they wish for when saying that a 4* track is too soft. It wasn't as though the course was unjumpable, the owlhole jumped fine last year and plenty of riders did jump around.

Ground was quite soft but many events have been this year. Better than being too hard... Safer as well - lots of falls but no holds for treatment of horse or rider, just the replacement of frangible pins!

Interesting to see what happens with WEG selection. Hard to ignore Harry and Ollie's results but I guess Luhmuhlen and Bramham will be the main selection events if the weather cooperates.

Return to the good old days!

armchair_rider

Visit site
Might be worth starting a thread on the potential legacy of this Badminton.

I'm not sure Harry and Ollie will come into team consideration, most events this season will be far more influenced by the dressage and they didn't do great tests. It might help them out in terms of sponsors/horses though. WEG wise I think the big gainers may end up being Pippa Funnell - nice run on a young horse - and Zara Phillips/Piggy French - reputation not damaged by Badminton disaster. When Ollie was interviewed by Radio Badminton he said he didn't think he'd be selected for WEGs and generally gave the impression that his relationship with the GB setup wasn't very good.

googol

Visit site
Do we ever get to see a report of why they are pulled out before the vetting on sj day? Take it they are deemed unsound by their teams? Or what other reason?

oldvic

Visit site
Do we ever get to see a report of why they are pulled out before the vetting on sj day? Take it they are deemed unsound by their teams? Or what other reason?

There can be many reasons - lameness, it might be that you don't want to ask your horse to come out if it's tired and you are in an uncompetitive position, horse could be sound but very stiff, rider injured on a 2nd horse, etc.

Biska

Visit site

Last spring at the Isleham one day event, I watched him absolutely leather a horse that had refused a fence, this was after he had turned away from the fence, with excessive force in my view and it was at least 5 or 6 whacks. Not a pretty sight.

hcm88

Visit site
Just wrote a huge reply and my internet broke!!!

I don't fancy Harry's chances at team selection. I don't think WEG would even be on his radar and I think Badminton XC results need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Focus could be put more on the dressage where Wild Lone didn't give the best GB marks we saw. A cracking XC horse yes but WEG cross country is likely to be less influential than Badminton and dressage results will matter. We'll see how his season progresses but I'm not fancying his chances. I doubt he's even considered it though!!

OT has had good results this season, it seems he's stepped up a gear a little in his XC riding which is nice to see but his relationship with the selectors isn't the greatest and I think he'd be a last resort if nobody else proves themselves! His dressage at Badminton was disappointing, I think Armada is capable of a much better test as we've seen in the past.

WFP guaranteed place on the team, his poor Badminton will probably be barely looked at. Badminton this year for me wasn't an accurate representation of our best candidates for the team and it will be interesting to see how Luhmuhlen and Bramham go.

Billy Beware is absolutely wonderful my god what a horse for the future!! So excited about him. He is likely to be a little inexperienced for WEG but we'll see how his season goes, definitely a future team prospect its so good to see Pippa back at the top!

On a slightly different note, does anyone else think this may have been Imperial Cavalier's last 4*? From what I can gather from Mary's interview he started to feel his age on the course and put that together with the loss of confidence at the Outlander Bank/Mirage Pond and maybe he's past his best now..

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
OT has had good results this season, it seems he's stepped up a gear a little in his XC riding which is nice to see but his relationship with the selectors isn't the greatest and I think he'd be a last resort if nobody else proves themselves! His dressage at Badminton was disappointing, I think Armada is capable of a much better test as we've seen in the past.

OT's interview with Claire Balding afterwards seemed to basically say that he will do what suits him and his horses, and isn't bothered about the selectors since when he does try to please them, he doesn't get picked anyway... or that was the impression I got anyway.

On a slightly different note, does anyone else think this may have been Imperial Cavalier's last 4*? From what I can gather from Mary's interview he started to feel his age on the course and put that together with the loss of confidence at the Outlander Bank/Mirage Pond and maybe he's past his best now..

Yes I thought MK seemed to be saying the same. Will be a shame not to see him at Badminton again but he's 17 or 18 now isn't he? He doesn't really owe her anything. I do love Imperial Cavalier. I saw him at Badminton last year, strutting around by the start box like he owned the place, just lapping up the adoration from the crowd! Such a character.

Last edited:

armchair_rider

Visit site
I think you might be right about Imperial Cavaliar, I saw something earlier this season where Mary said they were being quite cautious as to how long they'd keep going at this level. I think it's quite likely he will be retired come the end of the season, immediately after WEG if he goes.

So far as Olliie T is concerned, he might have a chance of team selection as the pathfinder. Armada is reliable and experienced XC and normally does a decent dressage test. But I think they will probably be looking for horses that can be relied upon in all phases. I think you are quite right hcm and Badminton won't end up being a serious factor in team selection - at least not for GB. I think that it probably has shaken up the Aussie situation, Paul Tapner and Wendy Schaeffer must have massively improved their chances.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just because it stays green doesn't mean it isn't hard work for the horses. When they go to push off it they don't get any spring. It was holding them a little - a bit like running in treacle - and it just shortens their stride a touch. Each fence is that much more effort to jump.

Yes, but it's Spring, not August, conditions like last year are unusual, you really have to expect some dampness in the ground.. I've seen many events over the years with much more mud. The car parks and shopping village weren't that bad at all. I find it a poor excuse to use that ground as an excuse at that level.. The headwind I will accept.

I wondered if this would have been Imp Cav's last one anyway, a lot of his team mates from the last few Olympics have retired. He has nothing to prove, he's a star. Does Mary King have any other horses coming up? I'd love to see her with some more rides.

hcm88

Visit site
I wondered if this would have been Imp Cav's last one anyway, a lot of his team mates from the last few Olympics have retired. He has nothing to prove, he's a star. Does Mary King have any other horses coming up? I'd love to see her with some more rides.

She's got King Joules aiming for Bramham CCI3* this year I believe so he's one to watch but her other two are low level I think. She's only competing 4 this year, her daughter has taken up the reins a bit more!