Badminton thread!

Penumbra

Visit site
Mary King posted this on her facebook yesterday for those who haven't seen it-

"What an eventful Badminton, and a very disappointing one for me and many others. Dear Archie did a beautiful dressage test, just about managing to control his enthusiasm, and was in the hunt with 42 pens. I really thought the relentlessly big XC course was right up Archie's street, and I am sure it would have been if the ground conditions hadn't been so energy sapping, and if he had been a few years younger. But after he jumped immaculately around the first part of the course he started to feel one paced. Following a very sticky jump through the owl hole at the Outlander Bank (where I was lucky not to fall off!), he felt a bit flat and I had no hesitation at retiring when he stopped at the 2nd part of fence 16. There were so many problems throughout the day with only 23 out of the 87 starters going clear, and no-one getting the time. Luckily there were no horses or riders badly hurt.
Emily and I now have some other great horse trials looming up for the younger horses. Aston Le Walls on Wednesday, Chatsworth this coming weekend then Tattersalls in Ireland and Bramham CCI***. Jay (MHS King Joules) is now qualified for Bramham having successfully completed his first 2 CIC***s at Belton and Burnham Market. At the latter he got an impressive 42 dressage and jumped a double clear. I tried a different bit which gave me a lot more control which felt much better. He will do the advanced at Chatsworth as his final run before Bramham. Lottie (Kings Choice) has been consistently placed at her novice events through April and is now nearly intermediate, her run at Chatsworth will be her last before going to Tatts to do her first CCI*. Dan (King Dan my 5 yr old) did his first BE100 successfully but sadly his other 2 planned runs were cancelled due to the rain, so he is now having a break.
I had an addition to my homebreds a few days ago...a beautiful Kings Temptress x Chilli Morning filly foal (nicknamed Tilly!) out of one of Twemlows recipient mares. Tess has gone back to the stud to see if she can produce more embryos. I am planning to use Cevin Z and Future Gravitis this time."

oldvic

Visit site
Yes, but it's Spring, not August, conditions like last year are unusual, you really have to expect some dampness in the ground.. I've seen many events over the years with much more mud. The car parks and shopping village weren't that bad at all. I find it a poor excuse to use that ground as an excuse at that level.. The headwind I will accept.

It is one of several reasons for the horses finding it hard, not an excuse. The water table is very high for this time of year after the wettest winter and spring on record, hence places flooding again when it started raining again having appeared to dry up. This means that the effect is like running on a foam mattress rather than something secure. Genuinely good ground has a base and spring to it that propels you forward when you push off. This didn't which made galloping harder work and the wide fences that much more effort. It was also more energy sapping to pick up the pace having slowed down. The soil type also makes a difference with clay being harder than a light soil. Mud with a secure base is less hard work than the ground at Badminton.

webble

Visit site
Might be worth starting a thread on the potential legacy of this Badminton.

I'm not sure Harry and Ollie will come into team consideration, most events this season will be far more influenced by the dressage and they didn't do great tests. It might help them out in terms of sponsors/horses though. WEG wise I think the big gainers may end up being Pippa Funnell - nice run on a young horse - and Zara Phillips/Piggy French - reputation not damaged by Badminton disaster. When Ollie was interviewed by Radio Badminton he said he didn't think he'd be selected for WEGs and generally gave the impression that his relationship with the GB setup wasn't very good.
I felt so sorry for Pippa Funell on the Sun, the min she came in the weather got much much worse but then went again a few mins later

Sherry74

New User
Visit site
I can never understand whacking a horse for not jumping, it's only taking your own frustrations out on it.
Agreed. Days later I am still angry with this rider. Unacceptable. Seriously thinking of complaining but not sure where to. Minded to post on her Facebook page that she should be ashamed of herself.

Sherry74

New User
Visit site
Agreed. I'm still angry about this. The horse hadn't made the fence, had backed off, looked flustered. She didn't smack him immediately and even when she did it was just anger, not to try to get him to jump. He could not have done from where he was and she wasn't trying to make him. She was just angry. I'm furious about this and thinking of complaining.

Sherry74

New User
Visit site
Definitely not just you. I'm still livid some days later. Nasty and unnecessary. She didn't whack him until he had got off the fence and backed off so he probably did not understand why and, in any case, it was just in anger. Anyone know who I can complain to?

Sherry74

New User
Visit site
Carolyn Ryan-Bell, I wasn't happy with that as I thought she was retiring after smacking the horse so hard twice, but as she did continue fair enough, but very confusing for the horse, gets a whack and then stands there while she thinks about things.

Well done Tim Lipps!
I thought her conduct was a disgrace. She smacked him in anger. Purely because her chances were scuppered. He was clearly exhausted and she should not have carried on. She didn't even hit him straight away. He'd got himself off the fence and backed off a few paces before she hit him. He probably didn't know whether he was meant to try and jump or whether he was being ticked off for standing still. He has been a good, honest horse and I hope she feels ashamed of herself. Seriously thinking of complaining. VERY interesting that the BBC chose NOT to show her on the highlights yesterday.

kp31

Visit site
By his own admission Oliver has made some decisions with regards to his career/ horses in the past that haven't always painted him in a...how shall we say....trustworthy & good light.
He also had/has a ban for drink driving which is an imbecilic thing to do IMO.

OT is someone i would not less loose on my bike let alone horse! I had to turn Badminton off, it was awful to see so many tired horses and some really awful riding. I went the year when the rain was so bad the car park was a mud bath and the course was just wet mud and it rode nothing like what was witnessed over the weekend. For Ian Stark to say there were unfit horses says it all. I appreciate no one can forsee the weather but having horses not fit enough to compete at the premier 3DE of the season is very poor on the part of the riders.

PolarSkye

Visit site
She wasn't pointing the horse at a fence, just punishing it.

Indeed. Not one of the (horsey) people I was watching with thought her behaviour was anything less than outrageous and mean. Not pleasant to watch, and certainly not pleasant for the poor horse.

P