Badminton thread!

dieseldog

Visit site
Hmmmmm. Though she's lucky given the photos of her at the Vicarage Vee I've just looked at.

Sure it was the pond and not the vicarage V, I surprised she didnt get eliminated as looking at the photos the horses shoulder didnt go the right side of the flag.

teapot

Visit site
Sure it was the pond and not the vicarage V, I surprised she didnt get eliminated as looking at the photos the horses shoulder didnt go the right side of the flag.

Frangible pin penalties at the new pond but hmmm because she wasn't the first to hit.

The photos of her over the ditch/VV are errr interesting in terms of flag position and shoulders... So she's lucky in some ways to get away with just the pin penalties.

dieseldog

Visit site
Frangible pin penalties at the new pond but hmmm because she wasn't the first to hit.

The photos of her over the ditch/VV are errr interesting in terms of flag position and shoulders... So she's lucky in some ways to get away with just the pin penalties.

Weird as she caused a lot more carnage at the VV

teapot

Visit site
Maybe it was for the VV then? Either way, better than being eliminated for wrong side of the flag. Think it would have been pretty unfair to be penalised for the new pond fence.

Those pins were worth their money today that's for sure!

Lexi_

Visit site
Also Nicola Wilson has been awarded 21 faults for breaking the frangible pin at the pond

Definitely for the pond fence? I thought the rule was you got the faults if you'd have had a fall, not just cos you banged the fence. She hit it but it didn't seem as if she'd have had a fall. Unlike Bill Levett who was flipping lucky at those silver birch rails on his second horse...

JFTDWS

Visit site

Likewise, I thought the commentary team must have been watching different footage to me as what I saw she did appear to be very much over the right of the flag!

teapot

Visit site
Think DD might be right - it's for the Vicarage Vee (cracking photos on E-venting) rather than the pond.

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
I've just been going through the results and have summarised the following:

Completions = 35

Clear = 22
1 refusal completed = 7
2 refusals completed = 4
Frangible pin breakage completed = 2

Retirements = 18

Retired = 3
1 refusal retired = 10
2 refusals retired = 5

Eliminations = 25

3 refusals eliminated = 3
1 refusal + rider fall eliminated = 3
Horse fall eliminated = 7
Rider fall eliminated = 7
2 refusals + rider fall eliminated = 1
Frangible pin breakage + refusal + rider fall eliminated = 1
Technical eliminations (eq wrong side of flag, pulled up by ground jury) = 3

I apologise if there are some not quite in the right place but thought others would be interested to see.

Pebble101

Visit site
Nicolas penalties will be for breaking the frangible pin at the pond fence. Had she gone the wrong side of the flag she would have been eliminated.

Last edited:

undergroundoli

Visit site

Agree. Really sad they got pin penalties, lovely horse.

ETA Cheers for that mypegus, very intresting

teapot

Visit site
Nicolas penalties will be for breaking the frangible pin at the pond fence. Had she gone the wrong side of the flag she would have been eliminated.

But she broke the fence at the VV too and the flag decision is very very close if you look at the photos.

Pebble101

Visit site
But she broke the fence at the VV too and the flag decision is very very close if you look at the photos.
Ah didnt realise she broke 2 pins, she had quite a lot of luck along the way then. Didn't she have a dodgy moment at Huntsmans too?

georgiegirl

Visit site
teapot - do you have a link for the VV photos? Very sad indeed if the pens are for the pin breakage at the pond. The mare barely clunked it and hardly lost any balance whatsoever compared to some of the others that broke pins on course and (according to the commentary team at least) wouldnt be penalised for......

Difficult to say at huntsmans but from watching on the tv it looked like the mare actually drifted left slightly in mid air to be the correct side of the flag....

Feel quite sorry for the ground jury today - some difficult decision making!

armchair_rider

Visit site
Thanks for that mypegasus. To go with your stats I shall repost mine of the two horse riders

Izzy Taylor finished on both
Nicola Wilson withdrew one, completed on the other
WFP one withdrawn, one eliminated
Completed on first horse, second eliminated/retired: Pippa Funnell, Tim Price, Ludwig Svennerstal (eliminated after finishing course)
First horse eliminated/retired, completed on second: Tom McEwen, Mark Todd, Bill Levett
Elim/retired on both: Andrew Nicholson, Clark Montgomery

Well done Izzy!

Lexi_

Visit site
I'd have given her a clear at Huntsmans - she definitely swung left in the air. It's much easier to tell from the tv camera angle from behind than it would have been on the ground though!

georgiegirl

Visit site
Looking at the VV pics I think the mares shoulders were inside the flag (you can see this on the mid air pic before the flag breaks away) is only on the pics after that once the flag has broken off the side of the fence it comes in front of her but that could just be the way it fell? had no idea she broke a pin there though - must have missed her go through that bit of the course! Pics look hairy though! Bloody well sat girl and a what a lovely talented mare.

mypegasus

Just been trying to go through the fences and see where the problems were, so (again apologies if there are any errors):

Fence 1 - no problems
Fence 2 - no problems
Fence 3 - 1 refusal + retirement x1
Fence 4 - no problems
Fence 5 - 1 refusal x 2, 2 refusals + rider fall x 1, retirement x 1, 1 refusal + retirement x 1
Fence 6 - no problems
Fence 7 - frangible pin breakage x 2
Fence 8 - horse fall x 1
Fence 9 - retirement x 1, 1 refusal + retirement x 1, 1 refusal x 1, rider fall x 2
Fence 10 - 1 refusal x 1
Fence 11 - no problems
Fence 12 - 1 refusal + rider fall x 1, 1 refusal x 1
Fence 13 - 1 refusal x 6, 2 refusals x 1, 2 refusals + retirement x 1, 3 refusals + elimination x 1, 1 refusal + retirement x 2, rider fall x 1
Fence 14 - rider fall x 1
Fence 15 - 1 refusal + elimination x 1, 1 refusal + rider fall x 1, 1 refusal x 4, frangible pin breakage x 1
Fence 16 - 1 refusal + retirement x 4, horse fall x 2, technical elimination x 1, 2 refusals + elimination x 1, 1 refusal x 2, rider fall x 1
Fence 17 - retirement
Fence 18 - 1 refusal x 1, horse fall x 2, rider fall x 2
Fence 19 - No problems
Fence 20 - No problems
Fence 21 - No problems
Fence 22 - 1 refusal x 1, retirement x 2, elimination x 1, 1 refusal + retirement x 1
Fence 23 - 2 refusals + retirement x 1, 1 refusal x 3, 1 refusal + retirement x 1, elimination x 1, horse fall x 1, rider fall x 1
Fence 24 - No problems
Fence 25 - No problems
Fence 26 - No problems
Fence 27 - horse fall x 1
Fence 28 - No problems
Fence 29 - No problems
Fence 30 - No problems

Sorry that is so mammoth and hope people understand it.

Will try and sit down tomorrow and put it in a more user friendly form (cider is addling my brain somewhat tonight)

Last edited:

Lexi_

Visit site
Looking at the VV pics I think the mares shoulders were inside the flag (you can see this on the mid air pic before the flag breaks away) is only on the pics after that once the flag has broken off the side of the fence it comes in front of her but that could just be the way it fell? had no idea she broke a pin there though - must have missed her go through that bit of the course! Pics look hairy though! Bloody well sat girl and a what a lovely talented mare.

I don't remember seeing them through that section either. Was it on the BBC coverage or had they shot to something else?

ETA -mypegasus, thanks for that. So interesting to see what a huge spread of problems there were!

Lexi_

Visit site
Mike Tucker, the man who doesn't appear to know the difference between a mare and a gelding.

mypegasus

For those of you who are not bored by my analyses - here's another one - movement from dressage placing.

First number is placing after cross country
Second number is placing after dressage
Third number - movement between the two - either + or -

1 2 +1
2 41 +39
3 30 +27
4 34 +30
5 25 +20
6 11 + 5
7 53 +46
8 46 +38
9 55 +46
10 29 +19
11 69 +58
12 48 +36
13 36 +23
14 57 +43
15 76 +61
16 9 -7
17 22 +5
18 63 +45
19 25 +6
20 82 +62
21 28 +17
22 69 +47
23 20 -3
24 62 +38
25 13 -12
26 67 +41
27 23 -4
28 16 -12
29 14 -15
30 48 +18
31 78 +47
32 41 +9
33 77 +44
34 81 +47
35 20 -15

So Kai-Steffen Meier has improved the most placing on his dressage score

Last edited:

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
It was not a great day :( It was hit and miss walking the course to see if a horse actually came past! The ground was bad, it was spongy and strangely 'clumpy'??? By the time I finished walking the course I was 4" taller.
The wind was awful and the breaks in coverage were from the sat vans being blown to bits!! At one point in the stands one of the supports came down-thankfully no one was sitting under it!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Can clarify Nicola's faults def for Vicarage V. She was lucky to be inside flags but ground jury deemed she was. You get 21 pens for a pin if ground jury deem the pin breaking prevented a horse fall. From the photos (which incidentally i took so feel fairly well wualified to comment ;) ) linked above she clearly hit the top rail hard and it giving way turned a definite fall into an iffy moment. You can see from first pic the mare just didn't jump high enough.

Personally if I had to call it I would have said shoulder outside of flag but I am not a fence judge and they were standing in a far better position to make judgment (as well they should) and she was deemed to have passed the shoulders between and I would guess as front already twisting this caused the knee to catch the flag and cause it to go between legs!