Badminton XC - thoughts?

thoroughlybred1

Visit site
I would agree with the majority of this, except I would be surprised if Mandiba spooked at the air jacket. There was a bit delay between the pop and him moving off. Infact, it looked like, and I think a few others agreed on the other thread, that she waved her reins in dissapointment and he spooked at that. Would be interesting to see a replay, although don't think i could see him hit the deck again :(

That was my thought when i watched it too. There was definately a moment of calm in the horse before Karen chucked her reins (in what seemed to be fustration) before he went over the edge. And if it was a factor noone will be blaming themselves more than Karen herself. Listening to some of the commentary on the riders abilities I'm surprised anyone would WANT to put themselves up for such public and open critisism - I admit its been a long time since i have watched any eventing footage, but with the fantastic coverage from every angle that can now be seen it takes some guts just to put yourself in such a spotlight! I even read somewhere about Mary Kings VPL for gods sake!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
Andreas Ostholt rode pretty badly I thought.
Ingrid Klimke was scary to watch, surely after the slips the horse had you would slow up.
Emily Llewellyn and P were just arguing with each other, I couldn't see any abuse.
Westwood Poser was brilliant and reacted like a pony when Polly saw a long one, likewise Polly reacted very quickly to grab the broken martingale strap, well done to her :)
Didn't see Oli as I recorded it and it chopped the end off!
Thought Ben Hobday asked quite alot of a very tired horse to do the long route at the quarry. However he does explain his decisions - http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/blogs/7617/307116.html
Really impressed with Aoife Clarke.
Also impressed with Lauren Shannon.
Thought Nicola Wilson was fab how she was so quick to pick up on BD not being right.
I think that Karen O'Connor should have pulled M up before the bank however in her decision to carry on I think she should have offered M a bit more help.
Really liked the big irish horse that fell in the water, such a shame.
Lucinda Fredericks was classy. A very classy mare too, who would have skipped around the course again!
Sam Griffiths had a lovely round.
I really like Drivetime but I wonder if Emily knows he has the problem then she should have given him a good smack on the way in.
Rosie Thomas and Barry's Best looked to have great fun but didn't seem as smooth and together as normal.

Not sure I liked the sunken road complex, there were a lot of uncomfortable jumps, and also the quarry seemed to take alot out of the horses.

I know it is easy to say this from an armchair but I think some riding set a veyr poor example for those who watch pro's to learn from them.

ETA. Can not for the life of me understand why the rider Jrina (red P2 jacket -don't know her surname) after 3 refusals then carried onto to jump into the water. She must know the rules?

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Thanks, Kit. (Not that it's anything to do with me but I'll accept for lack of another Canadian on hand.) :) I thought they looked great. Hawley came before with her last big horse but the other two were first timers and a it's a LONG way to come. And while those girls have been to some very major events, riders just do not get the same sort of Jr/YR (no Ponies at all) mileage in North America (let alone Canada, which doesn't even have a 3* anymore and barely has any CICs) that the younger UK riders have.

David has done so much for the Team and the riders have really signed on. Canada is just never going to have the depth of horses and riders, or the money to spend but it's great to see them doing the very best with what they've got.

I did have a hissy fit on the Canadian equivalent of HHO because there was NOTHING on Badminton at all, not one thread, even with Selena being 12th overnight. :mad:

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Rosie's already commented that Barry's Best doesn't like firmer ground so wasn't enjoying himself as much this year.

Puppy

Visit site
Re the heat, it isn't just how it's been today, but over the last week and when the horses have been doing their last works. There are still horses walking around with winter coats (Badminton horses clipped, obviously, but they're still on the same "clock" as their furrier brethren) which shows how un-acclimatised they are.

I'm interested to hear you say that, as I speculated something similar earlier (about it being so hot so early in the year, and shocking the horses' systems somewhat) but wasn't sure how valid it may be. :)

gillianfleming

Visit site
Was gutted not to see more of Lenamore's round.

Also liked Caroline Powells round on Boston Two Tip, it was his first 4 star comp and thought he looked fantastic when he finished.

CalllyH

Visit site
I think jrina knows the rules but just wanted to get the horse over it and not let him get away with it. She waved as if to say I know and sorry afterwards.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think jrina knows the rules but just wanted to get the horse over it and not let him get away with it. She waved as if to say I know and sorry afterwards.

I'm sure she knows the rules but surely that makes it worse? They'll have to come down pretty hard on her because the rule is there for a good reason and they'll need to make sure no one else thinks it's worth trying in the future.

I can see how very frustrating it would be, though.

Puppy

Visit site
Rosie Thomas and Barry's Best looked to have great fun but didn't seem as smooth and together as normal.

I *think* Rosie had said (quoted by the commentary team) that it wasn't his type of going. Hence why they did so awesomely on what was dreadful conditions for many others at Burghley a few years ago :) I do love how much Rosie grins as they go round :) What a super partnership.

ETA. Can not for the life of me understand why the rider Jrina (red P2 jacket -don't know her surname) after 3 refusals then carried onto to jump into the water. She must know the rules?

That was rather shocking... :eek:

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I *think* Rosie had said (quoted by the commentary team) that it wasn't his type of going. Hence why they did so awesomely on what was dreadful conditions for many others at Burghley a few years ago :) I do love how much Rosie grins as they go round :) What a super partnership.

they are so lovely to watch, it makes you smile to watch :)

Vizslak

Visit site
I know Badminton is known for being one of the toughest tests but I thought it was particularly bad for falls and accidents this year :(
really? I didnt think it was as bad this year as has been in previous years! I have my head in the clouds though so maybe I'm wrong! :D

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I think they were just super careful with the falls they had, hence all the holds on course. Bit like the GN, they didn't just drag people out the way and then deal with them, so we were far more aware of the problems.
I should image a lot of people were severely winded with the ground that bit firmer and the high number of P2 jackets (not meant in a bad way, just that they can't help but knock the wind out of you!)

teapot

Visit site
And unless you know what it's like to be winded (horrible horrible experience) you could assume it's a quick painless thing that doesn't require that much attention. In reality, you can't do anything, let alone being moved off course.

Puppy

Visit site
I know Badminton is known for being one of the toughest tests but I thought it was particularly bad for falls and accidents this year :(

Really?! I didn't think so. Although the some of the falls did lead to long holds on course that I think made it seem worse.

kerilli

Visit site
I think they were just super careful with the falls they had, hence all the holds on course. Bit like the GN, they didn't just drag people out the way and then deal with them, so we were far more aware of the problems.
I should image a lot of people were severely winded with the ground that bit firmer and the high number of P2 jackets (not meant in a bad way, just that they can't help but knock the wind out of you!)

no, when there were long holds today, they were necessary long holds from what i've been told. most riders will get out of the way asap if they feel up to it. a friend got badly winded at a 4* and said later that if the fence judges (elderly) had just helped her up she'd have moved immediately, but they didn't.

Woodykat

Visit site
Heard Mark Todd say in an interview earlier that he nursed his horse home over the last few rather than retire as whilst the horse was still locking on to the fences, and had his ears pricked, he was happy to continue.

Mary King had the biggest grin on her face as she went around, was lovely to see! :D

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I was in the rather privileged position of being paid to watch EVERYBODY!

I saw Elizabeth Powers fall and got it rewound twice - horse left a leg badly and she got kicked in the head at hollow. It was a rotational and more shocking in that the frangible AGAIN did not break. Its the whole leaving one leg that seems not to exert enough force.

I did not watch Camilla Spiers at the lake but guessing she went for a gungho one at the shogun pickups.

Emily Baldwin did the right thing - that horse is an absolute heartbreaker. Why it will be fine over 3* water and not 4* is ridiculous. I felt she could have been slightly better powered on the turn but people did far worse and their horses helped them out.

We thought Partly Picked had been killed at first as just lay there for a while but thank goodness got up.

Also my final comment is that Mike Tucker makes a very hard job seem easy. I was in the behind the scenes and it seriously takes some professionalism to deal with various people shouting in your ear, updating you and not truly knowing what you will be looking at next and to be able to talk about it smoothly.

Person I felt most sorry for was Gemma Tattersall who rode a superb round and was just really unlucky.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
really enjoyed watching it today and watched almost all of it

my thoughts....
IK....way too fast, she nearly up ended early on, & to approach the huntsmans close on that fast long stride seemed to ask for trouble
OT/ACM.... just doesn't look like a 4* horse, legs all over the show,
Lovely lovely round from NW/Opp Buzz.... gosh he is a legend, poss my fave (of what i saw)
also what sort of built-in timer must Andrew Nicholson have, great work
MT... leading after XC.... he did his 1st badders before i was born & the guy is still one of the best!
well sat WFP at the step/log
missed RE/TT, & others around that time
Laura Collet looked very relaxed for a 1st badders,
Fab riding from Aoife Clark, real class act
Also mega pleased to see Michael Owen go round really well,

looking forward to the SJ tomorrow, have no idea how some of the top ones SJ, so will be interesting

thought pippa's "i'm not 110% committed so i've withdrawn" comment was a bit odd, fair enough she was way off the pace dressage wise, but thought she maybe could have worded it better

kickonchaps

Visit site
I felt she could have been slightly better powered on the turn but people did far worse and their horses helped them out.

Always the way isn't it :( I don't think there's a single competitive rider out there who hasn't at some point or other rued the fact that other people always seem to get away with it!!

kerilli

Visit site
I was in the rather privileged position of being paid to watch EVERYBODY!

I saw Elizabeth Powers fall and got it rewound twice - horse left a leg badly and she got kicked in the head at hollow. It was a rotational and more shocking in that the frangible AGAIN did not break. Its the whole leaving one leg that seems not to exert enough force.

I did not watch Camilla Spiers at the lake but guessing she went for a gungho one at the shogun pickups.

Emily Baldwin did the right thing - that horse is an absolute heartbreaker. Why it will be fine over 3* water and not 4* is ridiculous. I felt she could have been slightly better powered on the turn but people did far worse and their horses helped them out.

We thought Partly Picked had been killed at first as just lay there for a while but thank goodness got up.

Also my final comment is that Mike Tucker makes a very hard job seem easy. I was in the behind the scenes and it seriously takes some professionalism to deal with various people shouting in your ear, updating you and not truly knowing what you will be looking at next and to be able to talk about it smoothly.

Person I felt most sorry for was Gemma Tattersall who rode a superb round and was just really unlucky.

the frangibles not failing when they should is a big worry.
poor Liz, hope she makes a full recovery very soon.
i haven't seen it but i heard from an eyewitness that Camilla Spiers was trying to anchor the horse, who wasn't having any of it...
Agree about Emily Baldwin. he could have helped her out.
sounds as if PP was either winded or just v tired.
Mike Tucker drives me crackers though, I wish they'd get someone who didn't make so many Colemanballs-style mistakes. (Private Eye reference, guys.)
Agree about Gemma T, but that mare looked arrogant and as if it wasn't really listening, whereas for instance Calma Schelly was obviously so responsive and listening.