Baileys Ease and Excel

Scarlett

Visit site
Looking for feedback on Baileys Ease and Excel, particularly feeding it to an exracer.

My newest boy is 5, 17hh and growing, and still adjusting to civilian life in some ways. He's not always the greatest eater and can seem overfaced by huge buckets of feed. His current weight is OK, but he could do with adding a bit and I want to maintain him while in work over winter. He's not 'ulcery' but did have 3 months of Succeed over summer as a precaution due to him not thriving as I thought he would. He's now in at night with proper adlib hay.

He loves his Pink Mash, and will eat a bucket load of that, but I'm looking to add something that will increase his calorie content without blowing his already sharp mind and that won't risk upsetting his gut. He'll tolerate grass nuts but doesn't love them.

My usual go to feed for weight gain has been a rice bran additive - Keyplus - but nowhere near me stocks it now and getting it ordered in is a pain. E&E is always in stock at my usual feed place which adds to the appeal!

I saw E&E getting used on a pro yard 2 years ago when it was launched and they fed it to everything with great success, which is what's made me think of it.

So, anyone using it in the real world? Has it worked? Any barefoot Tbs on it without affecting hoof health? Anyone prefer the cubes to the mix?

Also, how much are you feeding?

All thoughts appreciated!

ihatework

Visit site
Useful feed for any horse that needs grub but where starch needs limiting. I’d go for the mix first.

Alternative is winergy growth. It’s lower in combined sugar/starch and a bit higher in protein.

Both are Alfa based so only works if your horse is not reactive to Alfa.

If you want to top up with rice bran you can get omega rice shipped to your door reasonably, it’s a rice bran and linseed pellet

I’ve only fed the baileys to shod horses. The growth I fed to my unshod 4yo this summer without issue, and the big eventer had it for his post holiday walk work unshod (but he wore shoes most of the year)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've been feeding it to my ex racer for quite a while now. He has done well on it, though I top up with Equijewel (I order direct from Saracen as it's free post which makes it the marginally cheaper than the feed shop!

Mine is not barefoot but his feet have continued to improve on it. I feed 2 round stubbs scoops a day which is roughly a bag a week. the cubes have a different formulation so I've stayed on the mix version.

Scarlett

Visit site
The alfalfa thing is probably the only thing stopping me getting it. I have one who can't touch the stuff so I'm wary, but I can probably give it to my old boy who seems to be able to eat anything so... Guess I'll only know if the 5yo copes with it if I try it...!

TPO

Visit site
Put my TB into it at the tail end of last winter after @milliepops recommended it.

I prefer fibre but the size of the (split) feeds needed to get the calories in was overfacing him.

Added E&E and cut quantities of everything else. Ended up feeding a small amount of pink mash, E&E and chaff just to keep him chewing longer. He loved it and looked amazing. I can't remember what the feeding recommendation amount was but the most I fed was 1 Stubbs scoop.

Stocked up for this winter and the plan is to feed it with chaff to bulk it out a bit. In theory he shouldn't need balancer/vit & min supp if being fed E&E at RDA or need Pink Mash, although he does get the Science Supplements Gastrokind religiously.

I use the mix

He's barefoot and it made no difference to his hooves and definitely not footy. Although trimmer wasnt happy and did go on about how bad commercial feeds are for a bit ?

ETA ex racer had never had alfa under my ownership and is super sharp/reactive (blows his brain on too much linseed) but no negative behaviour changes on e&e. So much so just bought, for winter, a chaff with a small amount of alfa mixed in for additional calories

ihatework

Visit site
The alfalfa thing is probably the only thing stopping me getting it. I have one who can't touch the stuff so I'm wary, but I can probably give it to my old boy who seems to be able to eat anything so... Guess I'll only know if the 5yo copes with it if I try it...!

I think people get themselves a bit too wound up about that. Yes the odd horse is a knobber on Alfa, but the vast majority aren’t. I’ve got a mare and now her son who are both very high energy and silly on feed but both tolerate Alfa well. Think how much Alfa is sold day in day out, if everything was going bonkers on it there wouldn’t be much of a market

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've nothing useful to add about the feed itself as I know nothing about it, but just picking up on TPO's point about their trimmer not being happy about their feed. My trimmer isn't thrilled about what I feed my horse as his base and whilst I can understand their concerns about 'commercial' feed I do think you have to feed what suits the horse in front of you. If it suits him then it suits him and I wouldn't feel bad about that :)

Scarlett

Visit site
I think people get themselves a bit too wound up about that. Yes the odd horse is a knobber on Alfa, but the vast majority aren’t. I’ve got a mare and now her son who are both very high energy and silly on feed but both tolerate Alfa well. Think how much Alfa is sold day in day out, if everything was going bonkers on it there wouldn’t be much of a market
I have a barefoot horse who goes laminitic on alfalfa, seems to upset his hind gut. He's a really odd case, admittedly, but it's made me super wary.

New one is already sharp, but he's 5 and feeling good so not even sure I'd notice a reaction!

Scarlett

Visit site
I've nothing useful to add about the feed itself as I know nothing about it, but just picking up on TPO's point about their trimmer not being happy about their feed. My trimmer isn't thrilled about what I feed my horse as his base and whilst I can understand their concerns about 'commercial' feed I do think you have to feed what suits the horse in front of you. If it suits him then it suits him and I wouldn't feel bad about that :)
I've had many a conversation about that with trimmers, believe me. Last one complimented my horses hooves, then told me I was wrong to feed what I'm feeding, I pointed out her comments about how great the feet were and she didn't say anything again.

TPO

Visit site

The thing is as well that "commercial" feeds have evolved and adapted so much recently took.

Look how many molasses free options there are as well along with alfa free. They have taken starch content into consideration and are much more aware (& even better at targeting numpties like me!) of issues like ulcers and that being barefoot, and therefore wanting a "barefoot friendly" diet, has massively increased.

Its not the same as your congealed molasses scoop of pasture mix anymore and I think that's what a lot of "purists" imagine

Chippers1

Visit site
It sent my connie loopy! He was so naughty I really struggled with just bringing him in. After I took him off the feed all returned to normal.
I gave the rest of the bag to another livery and it had no effect on their horse though. Shame as it was one of the few feeds mine would actually eat :)

Scarlett

Visit site
Well I bought a bag and soaked a few handfuls last night for him to try. He barely even took a breath as he licked the bucket clean, so a positive start!

Also, £12.25 a bag! Bargain!

Reactions: TPO

leflynn

Visit site
I have my exracer on the no24 cubes and he's doing well on it and hasn't managed to lose the plot yet as he can be prone too on new feeds, been feeding it about 2 months now

Scarlett

Visit site
Thought I'd update this thread just incase anyone is thinking of trying Ease and Excel.

So far, so good! Has worked a treat. Feeding a half scoop a day added to Pink Mash and not only is he doing well weight wise but his energy levels are spot on and no adverse effects to his gut, feet or temperament. He's also licking his feed buckets clean. Very pleased.

hobo

Visit site
Only just seen this thread glad you are happy with your trial of E&E . I bought a new horse this year he is 5 going on 4 , warmblood built like a TB he was already on it and I have kept him on and pleased with it and how he is looking I use the mix.

little_critter

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I’m looking at switching feed and Ease and Excel is one I’m looking at. I’ve looked on the Baileys website and can’t find the nutritional info ref levels of vits & mins. Would someone be able to take a photo of the paper ingredients slip on the bag? In particular I’m interested in the copper & zinc levels.