Bank holiday weekend plans

monte1

Visit site
Saturday, off to Tweseldown XC schooling over last weeks BE course, in prep for going to horse camp next weekend.
Sunday either quiet schooling or hacking, Monday flat lesson and in between all that, loads of house and garden type jobs to do, but quite looking forward to it, loving the long evenings this time of year - hoping for a BBQ or two as well !

Reactions: TPO

Nicnac

Visit site
Good luck all competing and Michen - that looks like heaven!

Fence judging for 10 hours tomorrow at Borde Hill so no riding as will be early start/late finish - have decided that I prefer FJ'ing the lower classes as love seeing how happy riders are when they jump 'my' fence. Novice and above can be very boring if on a straightforward fence although really interesting if lucky enough to be on a technical combo.

Hack Sunday and ODE practice day on Monday - all three phases with flagged courses etc. but not in a competitive environment so should be a nice fun day out for wobbly me on my boy and sprog's youngster who is great at the first two phases but needs more mileage XC before affiliating as not naturally bold.

showjumpingharry

Visit site
My loan pony has been sold subject to vetting, and vetting is this afternoon eeek! Then working Saturday/Sunday and then teaching stable management to some of the little ones at PC on Monday. Want to try and go up to Pontispool on Monday to support my fabulous instructor but not sure if I will have time :( Then half term so lots of ponies :)

Reactions: TPO

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
So Skye will be doing more of this:
61123176-2313716325554491-8934213990716801024-n.jpg

After doing this on Tuesday night (she's properly knackered bless her!):
60969128-2313083418951115-6374504307974209536-n.jpg

60837116-2313083475617776-7890710570431676416-n.jpg

61172934-10216370645871083-5054508184710938624-n.jpg

60905377-2245949245460820-5912617774001160192-n.jpg

So I'll be reuniting with my favourite grey chap:
60808309-2313114445614679-3999968820188938240-n.jpg

To do more of this:
38142777-2125903944335731-3682400544640466944-n.jpg

33610158-2072035386389254-7654362840869896192-n.jpg

37603451-10155736864822685-6504783061337505792-n.jpg

Not strictly competing, but that's what we're up to! Dressage can take a back seat for a while in favour of galloping about the countryside.

j1ffy

Visit site
Well it wasn’t our day today. Indio was a tense bunny in our first test, I think that giving him a day off yesterday was a bad idea as they’ve moved to summer grazing and he’s like a kid on too much sugar!

I thought our Medium was much better but one judge strongly disagreed, leaving us second last overall.

I’m off to the pub...!

Fiona

Visit site
Ah, so pee'd off

I just saw pics of the derby I was planning on doing and it would be the most perfect preparation competition for the qualifiers I'm doing in a couple of weeks.

We haven't had the best prep for this already with several very minor ailments between us but that have meant no riding for at least 6 weeks in total over the last 4 months which isn't great. First he had a mild psoas strain then a sharp tooth cut his tongue then he had a cough and now my thumb! Maybe someone is trying to tell me something!

Poor you x x

Were you going to go to Laurel View?

Fiona

EllenJay

Visit site
Had loads of plans for the weekend - but pony lame 🙁. Always knew that plans were a bad thing!!

Wheels

Visit site
Decided that since the thumb isn't quite up to riding we would do 10 mins in-hand (in the cavesson so I only needed one rein)

We were working on keeping the walk tempo as slow and the stride length as long as possible. This really helps with his longitudinal balance and even in the short session tonight he was beginning to get more cadence in the walk (good for his stumpy legs!)

DirectorFury

Visit site
Sorry to all those with broken ponies :(.

M trotted up and lunged perfectly sound for the vet today so whatever was going on yesterday is a mystery! Verdict is to keep going as we were and it'll either be nothing or turn into something diagnosable.

zaminda

Visit site
Boo to broken ponies, and fingers crossed for a speedy return to normal!!
I am off to a combined training this Sunday with Tamba. We are doing the 80 cm which should be good. We haven't done a dressage test for two years, so that could be interesting!! We have been working on our flatwork, and I finally relented and put a noseband on him, and it has made a huge and rather rapid difference, so I am wishing I had done it sooner, even though I don't like them. He is starting to go much better, and I am pleased with how he is coming along, I'm hoping he will be a good allrounder and would like to do some BE so this is a good start.
I'm also off to the gallops with Maisy, and will start Winnie back into work on Monday after a week off.

Chippers1

Visit site
We are done! So proud of Buzz, our dressage score was 30.75!! Considering I don't do dressage and my last test months ago was 40 I'm so pleased. Clear show jumping which again I'm so so pleased as I've being having issues with refusals and yes we did have one refusal xc at the second jump but I think buzz was a bit.. what's going on?! Ha. Jumped it the second time and went clear around the rest of the course, including steps down AND water which are his biggest problem areas. He walked through the water which got a laugh from the commentator as he was doing it at his own speed 😅

Over all I am so proud of him, just waiting for the scores. He's even standing at the box completely chilled, I couldn't be more pleased 😊

Wheels

Visit site
Well done chippers that is brilliant! great dressage score there.

I'm a bit gutted - I was due to do the dublin show connemara qualifiers but the first one is in two weeks, I still can't ride and have just lost too much preparation time. The qualifiers are due to take place on 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th June but I have just cancelled my trips for the 8th a 15th - both are a good 5-6 hours drive away with an overnight stay and so it's too much money to go and not be competitive due to lack of preparation.

I hope I will still be able to do the one on 22nd which is more local

feeling a wee bit sorry for myself!

zaminda

Visit site
Well done Chippers! That's so unlucky Wheels I don't blame you feeling a bit sorry for yourself! They are such hard work when you miss the fun bits it's particularly hard.

Chippers1

Visit site
Yay I came 6th!! Just in the placings too :) comments on dressage needs to be more supple which I got last time so I really need to step up my schooling!

Sorry to hear that wheels, it's so frustrating when you have all these plans then can't go through with them. Hope you're back on board soon!

Visit site
I am done already as well and on route home! We took 2 shetlands to the shetland group show. Pips went more as company for the 2yo because she is big and black (racism is alive and well in shetland showing! And today was a case of if it wasn't black don't bother) Pips came stone cold last. She didn't deserve to because she is well built and moves like nothing on earth BUT she pretty much has her full winter coat still bar a couple of patches on her back where she has been itching other ponies so she looked scruffy. There's only so much coat shine and brushing you can do!

Gummy Bear (the accidental foal) had her very first outing away from home. She got bathed yesterday but she loves baths! Head and all! She got her very first rug on last night- she practically put it on herself and stood there all smug with herself! Roll onto this morning and it was trailer time for the first time in her life! Nothing like throwing them in at the deep end 😂😂😂 I would like to say she walked straight up the ramp but she didn't- she didnt realise she had to step up onto in and just about fell flat on her face 😂😂😂 then tootled in not a bother! I couldnt get her out of the trailer at the show though! I had to pretty man handle her down the ramp 😂😂 its a good job she is only a shetland! Off she went into her pen, freaked out at everything and made an absolute racket so I left her to it!

I left her with my step dad whilst I took Pips in the ring and she towed him about everywhere stuffing her face full of grass - typical shetland! Her turn into the ring and we jogged. Then we walked. Then we jogged. Then we walked. Then we stood. Then we trotted out like a total pro! Pulled 6th of 7. Ah well! Gummy Bear then stood in the line up like a total gem not making a fuss at all. I think she was quite tired by this point! Off out to do out individual trot up and again she stood mostly still, walked out and trotted out properly back and round then had a wee WooHoo! And had a couple of strides of canter with a head swing and clunked her eye off of my thigh. That shut her up again 😂😂😂 Off we went for a walk round again and we eventually got pulled in ...

61116686_10157308450234721_6389654556002746368_n.jpg

2nd! So pleased with her! Getting back im the trailer to come home she leapt up onto the ramp! She wasn't making the same mistake of face planting again 😂😂😂

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
B Fuzzy and I went to our 1st rc xc training session. (Apologies to those on the morning thread, as copied same post over to here)

Well, I got back in 1 piece. Usually if trying something new I try and take a co pilot with me, but DH away this weekend and all friends busy horsing. Luckily SIL agreed to be my 1st call in case of emergency lol.

Eyes on stalks, she worked in around the 3 others in my group, spooking madly and badly every time we got close to a couple of xc fences.... Needless to say, I was rather apprehensive about jumping...I know she can cat leap little logs out hacking, so was well prepared by grabbing a large handful of mane which is easier than finding the blooming neck strap in it!

I elected to follow another lady over the 1st fence, which kept B focused as she doesnt like being left behind, 1st time she ballooned the 50cm fence, then on her own happily popped it.
We worked our way round the course, sewing a few fences together in each area.
I was very impressed with B and the large water complex. We walked through and back, then trotted. Popped a fence before and then had to go through and up a step to get out. B closely watched another rider do this in reverse very keenly, and when it was our turn, she cheerfully copied by hurling herself down into the water, cantering through and popping a tiny boat once out!
Cantered up along and down a big bank too.
The ditch needed much clearance, v glad of mane again and also the pheasant creep just after.
Finished off with the 2nd smaller water complex and a small palisade after.
V pleased with her, but need glue to keep in saddle whilst she is learning. V happy to go in front but got v anxious if having to wait, so more work needed on this.
Now home and sofa surfing for a little while!

Bernster

Visit site
Fab report EKW that sounds like a fun day. And great to hear how your xc went TFF.

Had an ok day at dressage. The bits outside the test were decent, just a shame we couldn’t quite get it right in the test. Instead we just showed all the things we’re working on at home but without me being able to sort it out in the test. Still, a decent score of 63 and 2nd and it adds to my quest scores. And if I can use this one (need to check), I think that counts towards the Irish draft champs, so i really shouldn’t complain. But I’m good at being disappointed with myself!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Great reports Chippers, TFF, EKW, and Bernster! Hopefully you get out to the next qualifiers Wheels.

A slight change in bitting + noseband arrangements meant that I actually had brakes for our hack today, though this did translate to cantering more slowly than she could walk for a good portion of it :rolleyes:. This was very entertaining for the group of golfers we passed. I suppose I should be glad as it'll be building her hind end up nicely! I'm thinking she's fit enough to start doing some proper schooling again now so arena hire is on the cards for next week.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
well, we are nothing if not consistent ;)
Another 63% ! :rolleyes: actually the tests haven't been consistent, so the scores are a bit of a mystery.

I've never had an issue with judging before now, I have always felt that what the judge sees on the day must be valid, and I still do, but having reached a level with only one test to choose from you can actually start to make proper comparisons and that is now highlighting the variation.
4 outings, 3 judges, 4 very different tests.... one score.
bit hard to know what to do other than just keep going!

The first of the run was a seriously spooky test where she fell in a hole in the arena surface and lost rhythm a few times, didn't really stay on her line in the lateral work and was generally awkward.
Same judge the next time, 100% better, clear round with one mistake...
different judge, very backward tight test with mistakes caused by tension , that I thought was nearly worthy of retirement but cajoled her round
different judge, super confident forward feeling test with one small error

Baffling.

Anyway, I am the only one who can judge the difference seeing as I'm the common denominator, and I was super pleased to feel that Kira had her happy face on, we had a jolly nice ride with just a little mistake in the single change after the 2nd canter piri. Everything feeling properly grown up and rideable, what a good girl! Unfortunately we got 5s for all her extensions which really dragged the score down (I thought they were prompt, balanced and obedient for a stumpy legger so I was quite happy ;) but judge thought they weren't big enough. hey ho)

Thinking we might step away to do some more music classes, I've only been pressing on with the PSGs to see if we could get a team spot for the home international but it's not looking likely so perhaps we won't bother trying :p

Bernster

Visit site
Ah that’s a shame MP. I do wonder whether judges just expect to see the performance of a flashy warmblood and don’t or can’t judge a different type.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well I don't know, because she hoovers up 7s for some things like tempis and sideways, usually our centre lines get a 7 or 7.5 now too. I guess those are more technical moves where just doing it the right way counts for more than the paces that underpin it.

Don't get me wrong, if it's a 63 it's a 63, no sour grapes about that but getting the same score week on week with such a different performance is a bit of a head scratcher and brings the subjective element into clear focus! 😱