Banned from yard

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They had just been done. The YO was aware of this as I was one of the whilst you are here can you brigade when vet turned up previously. YO had to even give me passports for vet to sign when they did them in May as YO kept passports for liveries.

Yes YO is a pillock, I don't see why anyone is blaming the vet.

Visit site
Loaner simply walks the horse off the yard and loads him up by the gate

Unfortunately there is so much stuff to carry, hence why my help is needed. But yes, horse is going to be loaded outside gate, issue is...there is literally nowhere to turn around except inside the yard and loaner is not confident enough to do this, but I am sure we can wrangle someone to help.

nagblagger

Visit site
My vets do check my passport and microchip, before any vaccinations i am shocked that yours didn't. They can always check on their computer what is due if a passport has been forgotten, No excuse for this mixup., if they follow policy they scan microchip, check passport, check when vaccination is due, therefore if it is all in order give the vaccine. They need to investigate what part of the policy they didn't follow and learn from it.

Parrotperson

Visit site
We are in agreement that the horse needs to be moved. We are friends and the horse comes first. Basically I need to go onto the yard with loaner to collect horse whether it’s to return to me or to a yard she finds if she finds one.
can you just get your friend to remove kit etc in her car then pull up outside somewhere safe and load him up without ever going on the yard? That's what I'd do.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
My vets do check my passport and microchip, before any vaccinations i am shocked that yours didn't. They can always check on their computer what is due if a passport has been forgotten, No excuse for this mixup., if they follow policy they scan microchip, check passport, check when vaccination is due, therefore if it is all in order give the vaccine. They need to investigate what part of the policy they didn't follow and learn from it.
I agree that every horse that doesn't know you and your horse should do this. My vet knows me and my horse very well so won't check the microchip but if they ducat know us,.they'd definitely check the chip and the passport.

nagblagger

Visit site
Even if they do know you they should check the passport to see what vaccination is required and that it is due. (The vet checked the microchip on one of mine and found 2 chips !)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I have never, since chipping began, had any of the many vets who have vaccinated my many horses check a microchip or check a passport diagram against the horse they are vaccinating, and I would consider it to be a complete waste of their and my time if they did.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine do exactly the same, their practice protocol is to scan for chip on 1st and thereafter all annual visits, it's on my last 3 yrs of invoices as:

Horse/Pony name
Microchip check: yes. No charge.
Passport match to microchip: yes. No charge.
Vaccination: (insert vaccine given) £
Date of next vaccine due on or before: (insert date)
Anything else carried out...££'s
Visit fee: ££'s
Vat: ££'s
Payment now due of £££'s

But set out properly, I've just taken the main wording.

I'm pretty happy that they do this, saves any issues.

Visit site
Who presented the horse for vaccination? I guess they owe the vet, if you didn't ask then to.

It all sounds very confusing.
The YO did. Vet still hasn’t spoken to me or called to apologise.
I wouldn’t be too worried about the bonus vaccination- unlikely to do any harm, though I wouldn’t be paying for it!
More interested in why I was banned for addressing it…

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
OP, it sounds like you’ve got too many things running into each other here, and it’s compounding your stress.

You have an emotional component- you are upset about being banned. It does sound completely absurd, and I’d be upset and actually very confused about it too. But take it and compartmentalise it - deal with it once you’ve resolved the operational issue.

Then you have the vaccine issue. It’s weird, to be sure, and you have every right to be annoyed about it. But it isn’t life threatening, it isn’t a huge crisis for the horse and you can’t unvaccinate him. So pop that into “to be dealt with once horse is secure” territory.

Then you have a horse, and what sounds like a great loaner, in an uncomfortable and quite toxic situation. They need you. So I’d probably simplify the whole situation entirely, and not let any of the confusion and weirdness disrupt the very straightforward task of picking horse up and moving it to new yard. I’d send a professional transporter, have the loaner hand horse over (if only to ensure that they are actually presented with the right one!) and the loaner can load up things that are necessary to travel with horse, and take the rest later.

Anything that isn’t critical, I’d leave to a second trip. It’s just stuff, stuff can be replaced if the worst happens, horse will be out of this odd place and that is the victory.

Then when horse is safely relocated, get a bottle of wine and be upset as you need to be, without it compromising the outcome that you need to achieve.

Surbie

Visit site
OP, it sounds like you’ve got too many things running into each other here, and it’s compounding your stress.

You have an emotional component- you are upset about being banned. It does sound completely absurd, and I’d be upset and actually very confused about it too. But take it and compartmentalise it - deal with it once you’ve resolved the operational issue.

Then you have the vaccine issue. It’s weird, to be sure, and you have every right to be annoyed about it. But it isn’t life threatening, it isn’t a huge crisis for the horse and you can’t unvaccinate him. So pop that into “to be dealt with once horse is secure” territory.

Then you have a horse, and what sounds like a great loaner, in an uncomfortable and quite toxic situation. They need you. So I’d probably simplify the whole situation entirely, and not let any of the confusion and weirdness disrupt the very straightforward task of picking horse up and moving it to new yard. I’d send a professional transporter, have the loaner hand horse over (if only to ensure that they are actually presented with the right one!) and the loaner can load up things that are necessary to travel with horse, and take the rest later.

Anything that isn’t critical, I’d leave to a second trip. It’s just stuff, stuff can be replaced if the worst happens, horse will be out of this odd place and that is the victory.

Then when horse is safely relocated, get a bottle of wine and be upset as you need to be, without it compromising the outcome that you need to achieve.

This is such sensible advice. The horse comes first. If your stuff is too heavy or bulky to load,can your loaner sort out a friend or two to help after the horse is gone? They could even start piling it ready once the horse has gone so the second trip is also fast.

Once the horse is away, I would follow up with the vet. I am very surprised they didn't check the passport first, mine always checks they have the correct horse and that they are due. As others have said, it's a big failing of the practice and I would want to be sure this has been sorted.

I hope you can get the horse out of there soon and have some time to relax and de-stress.

Palindrome

Visit site
My vets don't check the chip for a vaccine. They will check it for a vet check when selling a horse or if the passport needs something to be changed in it (like description of the horse).
However, they might look at the date of the last vaccine in the passport and notice that the horse isn't due but only if I give them the passport in advance.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The YO sounds as mad as a box of frogs.
Either get your horse lead off the yard or and think this the best option get a professional with a small box to pick the horse up
That you know you will get the passport
Get the passport situation sorted out by the vets practise I would want to understand why they vaccinated a horse that was not due
Then get on with life

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm still a little unclear as to the exact situation, it is indeed all very complicated.

Of course there are always two sides to any "yard situation" and TBH I'm reluctant therefore to take sides. That is not to disregard the OP's version of events; but I am hesitant to make further comment without knowing ALL the facts.

However if I have got hold of the right end of the stick, OP you are being banned from a yard where YOUR horse is at, yes?? If this is so then it is totally bizarre. Anyone should have a right to see either their horse OR any horse that is theirs as part of a loan agreement.

The mix-up re. the passport & vet signing, and the horse being treated without consent, is VERY very concerning and I personally would be inclined to take this to the Royal Veterinary College which is the governing body for veterinary surgeons.

Re. picking up the horse and the issue of being banned from the yard: might I offer a suggestion: and that is to hire a Groom and a reputable horse transporter? OP then doesn't need to set foot on the yard, they can stay out the way out of sight (just outside the yard say) and Groom load the horse up and off everyone goes....... simples surely. Or a "Friend" could take the place of the Groom. Just offering as a suggestion.

Last edited:

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Get your horse safe and moved and breathe a big sigh of relief as soon as possible.

Re the vaccination, the yard owner is at fault for presenting the horse for vaccination. If a yard owner presented me a horse and said 'oh and so-and-so said Harry needed vaccinating, can you do him too?' then I would vaccinate them. I generally check the passport first to 1) double check they're due, especially when on initial courses, and 2) see if the horse needs flu/flu&tet/tet but not that it's the correct horse, because I (potentially naively) assume the person presenting the horse has got the right one!
I can completely understand why you're annoyed but I'm sure a nicely worded letter/email explaining what has happened to the vet practice will result in an apology for the mix up and a waived vaccine fee.

Pippity

Visit site
Mine do exactly the same, their practice protocol is to scan for chip on 1st and thereafter all annual visits, it's on my last 3 yrs of invoices as:

Horse/Pony name
Microchip check: yes. No charge.
Passport match to microchip: yes. No charge.
Vaccination: (insert vaccine given) £
Date of next vaccine due on or before: (insert date)
Anything else carried out...££'s
Visit fee: ££'s
Vat: ££'s
Payment now due of £££'s

But set out properly, I've just taken the main wording.

I'm pretty happy that they do this, saves any issues.
Mine doesn't scan (because she knows my horse far too well...) but she does check that I've given her a passport with the correct name and markings. She's very thorough checking the dates for vaccinations, too. I nearly ended up having to restart a couple of days ago, because the previous vet's 8 for August looked like a 5 for May. My vet rang the surgery to confirm before she was willing to go ahead and just give the booster.

That said, Blue was once vacced without the vet seeing the passport at all. I wasn't able to be there, and yard staff didn't get my message telling them where the passport was.

OP, sadly, I've known friends in a similar situation to you. They were allowed onto the yard in the morning to collect their stuff, but then weren't allowed back on to load their horse. He was left tied to the gate, and they had to load him in the road.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id got nuts at the vet. Surely vets have to a) check they have the correct passport (they have a detailed picture of the horse with all markings so very easy!) and then b) check the vacc record before doing anything futher. My vet always checks the vacc record just to be sure.

Horse-wise, Id take the horse back to yours if the other yard isnt lined up yet. Get your loanee to walk horse off yard, load up and go. If its not safe (if its on a busy road etc.) then Id give them an exact time you were coming, park near the exit, get your loanee to bring the horse and do it there. If they disagreed then Id inform police.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Pippity- that’s disgraceful! Leaving a horse tied to a gate outside the yard!! Anything could’ve happened.

Livery yards are sometimes like war zones. Awful.