Bareback Riding on roads?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm pretty sure we had a thread on this recently where someone said the same thing but could not back it up. Where did you get the information that is it illegal? :)

It's one of the vagueries of the highway code, I think... Open to interpretation...

Tnavas

Visit site
I used to ride bareback everywhere at one time as I didn't have a saddle! We would always catch in the horses and ride them back to the stables bareback leading others. My age wouldn't have me do it now though!

ridersince2002

Visit site
I love bareback hacks! (but im 15 so i would, wouldn't i!? ;) )

A few horses i wouldnt as their too bouncy- we all want to enjoy our riding without pooing ourselves :p but on the arabs its lovelyyyy, their so smooth :')

Although i would never do it on a 'proper' road, only the little lane the yard is on, with about 8 other houses then miles of bridleways :D

Because i dont own a horse, i ride anything i can whenever i can, and the yard i help/work/ride at is owned by a friend of the family who is quite old fashioned (hasnt cottoned on to the whole 'health and safety idea yet..) and when we have a youngster to back, we just lean over bareback and hack out bareback in a halter until theyre 'ready' for a saddle and bridle :eek: but we do ALOTTTT of work on voice command ect and they are very well behaved- alot could go wrong, but luckily so far is hasnt!! :rolleyes:

Colivet

Visit site
I certainly did as a child. Now I have a much more realistic view on what safe and what's not :) At the end of last winter when I was bringing my aged ID back into work, I did hack bareback for a few weeks for a number of reasons:- a) he had some rain rash on his back and I wouldn't put a saddle on it, b) being bareback would make me stay in walk and not be tempted to start trot work too soon out of boredom :) and c) I live in a rural area with quiet country roads.

Bettyboo222

Visit site
I'm pretty sure we had a thread on this recently where someone said the same thing but could not back it up. Where did you get the information that is it illegal? :)

I remember the instructor saying so when I was doing my riding and road safety, but then again she also said that you shouldn't Thank drivers as they have to slow down :rolleyes:. I think it has something to do with the highway code saying that horses must be in adaquete tack.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I thought it was fairly easy; MUST = law, SHOULD = recommendation? :)

Doesn't it say something along the lines of "at no time should a horse be ridden on a road without saddle / bridle ..." which is slightly ambiguous? I would look it up but my computer would probably melt at such an arduous task :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
Doesn't it say something along the lines of "at no time should a horse be ridden on a road without saddle / bridle ..." which is slightly ambiguous? I would look it up but my computer would probably melt at such an arduous task :rolleyes:

Guess it's been a while since I actually read it! :eek:

Horseriders

34: Safety equipment. Children under the age of 14 MUST wear a helmet which complies with the Regulations. It MUST be fastened securely. Other riders should also follow this advice.
Law H(PHYR)R

35: Other clothing. You should wear

boots or shoes with hard soles and heels
light-coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight
reflective clothing if you have to ride at night or in poor visibility.
36: At night. It is safer not to ride on the road at night or in poor visibility, but if you do, make sure your horse has reflective bands above the fetlock joints. Carry a light which shows white to the front and red to the rear.

Riding

37: Before you take a horse on to a road, you should

ensure all tack fits well and is in good condition
make sure you can control the horse.
Always ride with other, less nervous horses if you think that your horse will be nervous of traffic. Never ride a horse without a saddle or bridle.
38: Before riding off or turning, look behind you to make sure it is safe, then give a clear arm signal.

39: When riding on the road you should

keep to the left
keep both hands on the reins unless you are signalling
keep both feet in the stirrups
not carry another person
not carry anything which might affect your balance or get tangled up with the reins
keep a horse you are leading to your left
move in the direction of the traffic flow in a one-way street
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file where the road narrows or on the approach to a bend.
40: You MUST NOT take a horse on to a footpath, pavement or cycle track. Use a bridleway where possible.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129(5)

41: Avoid roundabouts wherever possible. If you use them you should

keep to the left and watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout
signal right when riding across exits to show you are not leaving
signal left just before you leave the roundabout.

From http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_code/rules_about_animals.html

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I hack out bareback very regularly. This includes riding on roads and going on tracks. I always have a neck strap on for the trot work. The canter is good fun.

I find that it releases my hips and stops me gripping with my knees for weeks after doing it. Also it makes me sharper as the pony bucks for joy (regularly sees back people, EDT...) when he goes into canter on certain tracks so I have to ride him forwards properly to stop it from being so big, compared to when i'm in a saddle and just tend to accept it from him!

It makes me a more secure rider and means I can feel which muscles are working underneath my bottom so I can work him more effectively when he is schooled.

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's the use of the word "or" I would debate - does it mean that it is acceptable to ride without a saddle provided you have a bridle (since you have either a saddle "or" a bridle) or does it mean that you can't do it without both? There's probably an absolute legal answer to that, but since it would disagree with what I want to hear, I don't want to know :p

eta - thanks for looking it up :)

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
i used to when i was younger, until one day we very nearly had a bad accident with a big white van speeding around a blind bend at us- horse has a freaky, i lost my balance a little and was unable to help him out as much as usual, as i was too busy trying to keep him from buggering off and stay on.

because of this my horse had a morbid fear of white vans for several years, and i am convinced it is because i was unable to help him as much as i should.

worst thing was, this was a quiet road at a quiet time of day- argh!!

i still happily ride off road, in the menage and razz around the fields bareback though :D:D:D

Beausmate

Visit site
I have, possibly still would if I felt like it. Had to ride my (luckily super comfy) old git for three months due to a shoulder problem preventing use of his saddle. Also find it handy to compare to riding with a saddle to see if everything is fitting as it should, ie if he goes better without then it needs checking. My other old nag has withers like the keel on a racing yacht, so no way! Far too painful (winces at the thought)

skydancer

Visit site
No! No matter how good your horse, you can't account for the traffic these days and you need all the help you can get to stay on top when the idiot driver comes your way.

I agree with this you can trust your horse implicitly but at the end of the day he/she is an animal and then u dont know what idiot is coming round the corner!:)

PingPongPony

Visit site
Yes i have done, 2 months after having my mare, country lanes only thou. No she's not a safe ploddy hack, she's the type that goes ''...hedge, hedge, hedge, bin bag, tree, can, plastic bottle, rabbit, tractor, sheep, massive noisy lorry... OMG THERES A LEAF ON THE ROAD!!!! RUN!!!!!'' :D she was slightly confused when i asked her for gallop and she wouldn't go into gallop, just stayed in calm canter, she got it after a few times thou :)

Shantara

Visit site
Nope! My bareback skills are awful and although Ned is great out on hacks and doesn't spook a whole lot...when he does, they're horrific! Traffic is also horrible, I couldn't risk it. I wish I could though :p

welshcob*

Visit site
Yes, sometimes. Last time was a few weeks ago, did an hour and a half hack down quiet country lanes. Did have a bridle on tho. Great having direct contact with your horses back, seem to just mould in & feel completely part of her. :D

BentleyBelly

Visit site
I have done as its very quiet round here, but I am aware that it invalidates my insurance, I'm a nerdy pants and read my policy cover to cover. Same as leading in a head collar not a bridle.

tabithakat64

Visit site
As a teenager I used to hack bareback on the roads lots if I was coming from work and didn't want to take my saddle on the train etc.
I've hacked on main roads bareback and even through a MacDonalds drivethru.
I wouldn't do so now though.

mollymum

Visit site
Yes, if I could balance properly! The gypsies ride like it all the time, with no hats and often only in headcollars. Not on a big road though, only lanes an minor roads.