BBC1 right now - Motorway Cops - anyone watching?

BBH

Visit site
Very distressing. A real reminder to make sure our fencing is in a good state although in this instance they didn't know how the horses got out.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Very sad - but good that they've shown it from the point of view that it shows the damage that happens when horses are hit so if it gets even one person to give a horse more space on the road then it's a good thing to show if upsetting.

MrsElle

Visit site
There was also one earlier in the programme, horse hit by a car in the dark, driver ok, horse with almost severed leg, bleeding heavily. It took a long time for vet to come and put it down sadly :( I think if it were my horse I would have been begging the police (who had guns) to shoot it. A very sad episode.

WelshD

Visit site
There were two incidents in the same programme

First was a group of horses on the road, ran out in front of a car one hit and pts from injuries, no people injured.

Second incident two horses on road in the night, a car avoided them but the next car hit and killed both horses and the driver. Tragic

In both cases it was unknown how the horses ended up on the road from their fields

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm surprised they showed so much on TV :(

So sad for everyone involved :(

Both incidents were quite local to me, although not so close that I knew any-one involved. TBH, I'm glad that they DID show so much, on primetime TV, it might make drivers aware of how much damage a horse can do to a car and its driver- because I honestly don't think that some drivers realise that they could be seriously injured if they don't drive carefully past horses. Some riders might take notice as well and take more care when riding on the road.
It is indeed sad, for all concerned, and not really clear how the horses came to be on the road in the middle of the night.

WelshD

Visit site
I agree it may make people think to pass horses more carefully however it may make more people think that horses shouldnt be able to get on to roads and see them as a danger to cars and not the other way round sadly

Tim's Girl

Visit site
Must admit i did shead a few tears esp when they showed the two horses in the road. 3 horses died on a major rd near me a few weeks ago. 2 seperate accidents on same day. Sadly 3 of the 4 involved died. 2 outright and 1 pts by vet at scene.

quirky

Visit site
Felt extremely sorry for the people involved in the accidents, it's not something they'll forget in a hurry.
I hope owners of escape artist horses ensure their fencing is adequate and tragedies like this are avoided.

SadKen

Visit site
Very sad but I do think it will help drivers to be more aware. I did think also that perhaps rugs should have reflectors. I know horses shouldn't be on the road at night, loose, and in the first case it wouldn't have helped. Would it in the second and is it worth putting reflectors on rugs on the odd chance that the horse might get out, and might be seen as a result? I don't know. Tragic anyway, for everyone involved. My heart went out to the first driver, he looked very upset.

Shantara

Visit site
I didn't see it and I don't think I will...it gives me chills and makes me feel sick.

While I laugh and joke about Ned's TWO escapes to save face, I can barely stand thinking about it. He crossed a seriously fast and busy road both times and I just can not believe he survived both times with not a scratch on him. I really thought I'd be writing a R.I.P thread.

Both accidents sound horrific. :( my heart goes out to all involved.

babymare

Visit site
I watched the first one and it was dreadful for all cocerned but the police dealt with a difficult dreadful situation with compassion trying to juggle everything. one look visible y affected by it. was awful.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I'm not sure rugs with reflectors will happen since the bulk of these type of incidents are related to fly grazing horses on strips of council land or waste ground next to major roads...their owners are not really 'into' safety measures or good fencing etc....:-(

Embo

Visit site
I didn't know this was on but managed to switch the TV on just in time to see an image of a dead horse in the road. Not very nice.

So heartbreaking for all involved.

Ridergal

Visit site
I watched this last night truly upsetting, mostly because we all know that you are praying for the Vet to get there quickly to do the right thing. I was really impressed by the Policeman who was on camera - you could see that he was sympathetic - equally when he spoke to the guy who was going to walk past the incident with his children.

I thought that the Policeman mentioned that the yard for the horses was on one side of the road - and a grazing field was on the other.

If this is the case, surely the yard owner should ensure that there are ample individuals there to ensure a smooth and safe transition from yard to field ? I have helped/worked at many yards - where it is common practice (to save time) for multiple horses to be taken to grazing by one person. We all know that there is no such thing as a bomb proof horse - and any horse is capable of spooking. Equally, they know they are going to "turn out" so probably enthusiastic about that.

Could have been a freak accident - but there seemed to be lots of individuals in breeches around the poor animal on the road. Where were they at turn out time.

HihoGinger

Visit site
Very sad but I do think it will help drivers to be more aware. I did think also that perhaps rugs should have reflectors. I know horses shouldn't be on the road at night, loose, and in the first case it wouldn't have helped. Would it in the second and is it worth putting reflectors on rugs on the odd chance that the horse might get out, and might be seen as a result? I don't know. Tragic anyway, for everyone involved. My heart went out to the first driver, he looked very upset.
I didn't see the programme, and don't know if I want to. Sounds very upsetting.
Re the hi viz thing.
My horse has a penchant for breaking rails to get out onto the verge now and again, and has managed to get on the road a few times, usually in daylight thankfully. The most scary being when I came home from work at 7am (pitch dark morning), and swung by the yard on my way to check on him. Thank God I did..As I passed the field, my headlights picked up something reflective in the road (single track, no room to swerve to avoid). I slowed down, and then picked up some eyes as he looked up. He was grazing on the verge, with his backside stuck out in the road. Thankfully, his PE rug does have some reflective strips and they alerted me before it was potentially too late. I dread to think what could have happened if it hadn't been me (some cars fly down there) / he didn't have the reflective strips.
Suffice to say, we have now built an inner electric fence, which seems to have done the job.

Condolences to all of those who were involved in the incidents. It must be terrifying and harrowing :(

Clare85

Visit site
I watched this last night truly upsetting, mostly because we all know that you are praying for the Vet to get there quickly to do the right thing. I was really impressed by the Policeman who was on camera - you could see that he was sympathetic - equally when he spoke to the guy who was going to walk past the incident with his children.

I thought that the Policeman mentioned that the yard for the horses was on one side of the road - and a grazing field was on the other.

If this is the case, surely the yard owner should ensure that there are ample individuals there to ensure a smooth and safe transition from yard to field ? I have helped/worked at many yards - where it is common practice (to save time) for multiple horses to be taken to grazing by one person. We all know that there is no such thing as a bomb proof horse - and any horse is capable of spooking. Equally, they know they are going to "turn out" so probably enthusiastic about that.

Could have been a freak accident - but there seemed to be lots of individuals in breeches around the poor animal on the road. Where were they at turn out time.

I got the impression the horses got loose from another field closer to the farm - they all had their rugs on. There were 4 or 5 loose altogether but only 1 was hit. The policeman said that the field across the road was used for turnout during the day.

Tragic accident. It must've been awful for the owners and those that knew the injured horse to have had to sit on it until the vet arrived. I'm not quite sure how you would ever get over watching your horse suffer like that. Agree, it was handled very well by the police.

So sorry for the guy who lost his life in the second accident. Just terrible, you just wouldn't expect 2 horses to be running out in front of you like that in the pitch dark.

Awful situations for all involved. Heart goes out to those affected :(