BD associated Champs

oldie48

Visit site
I've got the qualifying scores for the veteran rider, not difficult as it's just 3 scores above 60%. I've got them at novice bronze and am wondering if I should also try to get the scores for prelim silver! The comp is at Vale View, so nearly 2 hours away and I am wondering if it's worth going for one test. Does anyone have experience of the Associated Champs who could advise me? TIA

mavandkaz

Visit site
I did the TB champs at Vale View last year. Was a 4hr drive for me, so stayed the night before - luckily was all finished by lunchtime so came back home, but had booked another night incase. I had a great time. Lovely venue, very friendly and relaxed atmosphere even though there was still a championship feel.
There are no silver or bronze sections, everyone competes together. Even though I was bronze it wasn't intimidating, and I was able to do my first mounted prize giving 😊
Am gutted not to be going again - have my sheets but horse is broken
I would say go - you will have a fab time

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks that's really helpfu. should I try to qualify at prelim? I can't ride prelim bronze but I can do silver and tbh I should easily get the qualifying score (provided I can remember the bloody test!) Was there a warm up class for your champs?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the schedule is on the BD page
https://britishdressage.online/schedule/107034

doing both classes would mean an overnight stay as they are on separate days but they do currently seem to be running warm up classes.

I went to the native champs at Vale View last couple of years and echo the above, lovely atmosphere and great organising team, nice arenas, good cafe, posh tack shop, warm showers ;) . The temp stables are a bit naff but nothing out of the ordinary.
If newbie gets up and running quickly then I might trundle over for the ROR classes. Natives have moved to Bury Farm this year.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Luckily when I went, we were all in permanent stables.
If you qualify as prelim silver, you will be competing against prelim bronze as well, since they don't split the class - so depending on how you look at it, it could be a bonus.
There were no warm up classes when I went, just arena walks, but it has changed this year as they are amalgamating several of the associate championship. Should be a good atmosphere. But as milliepops says, check the schedule and see how the days work out for your classes.

LittleP

Visit site
Sorry to jump in, I'm thinking about entering too.
Are the warm up and competition arenas indoor or outdoor?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The times I've been there, warm ups have been outside (very large, lots of space) and the tests have been indoors.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Does anybody know roughly what the stabling fee is? My saving starts now as we're looking at over £200 once entries, stabling, prem inn for the humans and diesel have been added into the equation!

Fanatical

Visit site
I'm another considering this for the first time. Does anyone know, do you have to register your horse with the veteran horse association for the vets classes?

humblepie

Visit site
Did the veteran rider last year - had entered the ROR as well but was ill. Re the veteran, if it is veteran rider then just BD membership, if veteran horse then you have to join the VHS. Really annoying that the veteran and ROR and BD are the same event as my horse is qualified for 4 tests two days running so will have to decide what to do. I never find that Vale View has much atmosphere - my horse was second in one of the championships a few years back and by the time the prize giving was done even the one man with his dog had left but I find that a general thing with dressage championships on the whole but that is probably because I show as well and you get the excitment of the final placings being called out in reverse order. I can't remember how much the stabling was - I think it is middle of the ground as far as pricing is concerned. All tests were indoors when we have been. There is a really good pub within walking distance but really need to keep that a secret!

abbijay

Visit site
I did the draught champs at Intro and Prelim at Keysoe last year and have my qualifications for Prelim and Novice this year, if I can get my clydie back sound again. Ours is at Bury Farm though.
I never find that Vale View has much atmosphere - my horse was second in one of the championships a few years back and by the time the prize giving was done even the one man with his dog had left but I find that a general thing with dressage championships on the whole but that is probably because I show as well and you get the excitment of the final placings being called out in reverse order. I can't remember how much the stabling was - I think it is middle of the ground as far as pricing is concerned. All tests were indoors when we have been. There is a really good pub within walking distance but really need to keep that a secret!
I agree. They tried their best, and I'm not faulting the venue on this one at all, but I won one class and placed 3rd in another and there were barely 6 people watching the prize giving and my prizes were presented by someone from the venue in jeans and a t-shirt. No sponsor or BD representation. This will possibly remain the highlight of my dressage career forever but it is so different from the ridden heavy horse showing I've done with hundreds of people ringside clapping and cheering you round on the lap of honour. I felt similar when I went to watch a PSG class at summer regionals a few years ago, there were maybe 20 spectators watching 3 rings. I guess dressage is a bit of a niche spectator sport until you get into the high level kurs. I hope with these combined championships there will be a little more buzz about it though.

humblepie

Visit site
I did the draught champs at Intro and Prelim at Keysoe last year and have my qualifications for Prelim and Novice this year, if I can get my clydie back sound again. Ours is at Bury Farm though.

I agree. They tried their best, and I'm not faulting the venue on this one at all, but I won one class and placed 3rd in another and there were barely 6 people watching the prize giving and my prizes were presented by someone from the venue in jeans and a t-shirt. No sponsor or BD representation. This will possibly remain the highlight of my dressage career forever but it is so different from the ridden heavy horse showing I've done with hundreds of people ringside clapping and cheering you round on the lap of honour. I felt similar when I went to watch a PSG class at summer regionals a few years ago, there were maybe 20 spectators watching 3 rings. I guess dressage is a bit of a niche spectator sport until you get into the high level kurs. I hope with these combined championships there will be a little more buzz about it though.

Yes I think it is a problem with dressage and how to get an atmosphere. I think the only way you could do it is to have classes over two days, with some sort of percentage total or points total to win and not release the results of day two until the end of the class to keep people around. That though would no doubt be very annoying if you had a long journey and just wanted to get home!

gunnergundog

Visit site
BE and not BD, but 25-30 years ago I was on a pro yard and the yard manager used to handle my entries in order to dovetail them wherever possible with that of the pro. I remember being VERY unimpressed when I found myself in the veteran section of Upton horse trials. I can't remember if the definition of 'veteran' then was 40+ or 45+. Either way, I was not happy at the time! :)

splash30

Visit site
I've sent off my qualification for the CHAPS if anyone is doing that, I think it's the same championship as veterans and ROR. Really looking forward to it.