Eventing BE and FEI in talks to hold a one off 5* event in the UK

teapot

Visit site
yup must be ways to manage footpaths as blenheim has a fair few too.

The few public paths it does have are not on the event side though - it's well known for only being open at certain times/passes etc.

Badminton however is a free for all, you'd have to secure the entire perimeter, which was part of the issue this year.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
The few public paths it does have are not on the event side though - it's well known for only being open at certain times/passes etc.

Badminton however is a free for all, you'd have to secure the entire perimeter, which was part of the issue this year.

There is only one foothpath through the actual park which runs up the side of the house close to the kennels. This is always diverted during the normal event. There are no other footpaths on the area of the trials.

teapot

Visit site
There is only one foothpath through the actual park which runs up the side of the house close to the kennels. This is always diverted during the normal event. There are no other footpaths on the area of the trials.

No but the estate is very easy to walk on to, gap in fences/tress/walls - no different to Goodwood who have a similar problem for their events. Securing of the Badminton estate was one of the reasons they couldn't run last week. As I say depending on spectator rules, it may still be super hard for them to run a 5* later this year.

ihatework

Visit site
No but the estate is very easy to walk on to, gap in fences/tress/walls - no different to Goodwood who have a similar problem for their events. Securing of the Badminton estate was one of the reasons they couldn't run last week. As I say depending on spectator rules, it may still be super hard for them to run a 5* later this year.

Completely. Not even gaps, proper estate tracks. Many locals just walk in for the trials and the estate turns a blind eye. But they could theoretically do more to limit this, if it were an issue.

Velcrobum

Visit site
yup must be ways to manage footpaths as blenheim has a fair few too.
The part of the park that hosts the event has no public access in the way of either footpaths or bridleways. It certainly has the terrain but the site is fairly compact so it might be quite difficult to get the necessary distance. Also change of management team to the Jockey Club with very very few of the original team remaining. Last I heard was that the course designer is the only one. I know the park very very well. The event area is surrounded by tall walls so security would not be an issue. I volunteer here.

Cornbury also has the terrain but does have footpaths running through the area the event uses. This was a bit of a problem last year with the "closed doors"aspect. I also know this park fairly well and I volunteer here.

Aston-le-Walls has considerably less land on which to run a 5* and it is basically flat so it would probably not be a contender however much NT might want. Used to volunteer there as well but they have upset so many people they have problems getting volunteers especially fence judges. The number of organisers for the various areas of volunteers they have got through is quite remarkable and there is a distinct lack of communication..............

teapot

Visit site
Aston-le-Walls has considerably less land on which to run a 5* and it is basically flat so it would probably not be a contender however much NT might want. Used to volunteer there as well but they have upset so many people they have problems getting volunteers especially fence judges. The number of organisers for the various areas of volunteers they have got through is quite remarkable and there is a distinct lack of communication..............

What is it with the bigger places (but not the big events) and losing volunteers? I voluteered last week for somewhere well known and won't be offering my time again.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
Issue is that the losses on the one off concerts they have planned if cancelled are nothing compared to Burghley event....i do wonder though why they couldnt have been some sort of help given to run it rather than go elsewhere. However, maybe it wasn't wanted.

I do fear for the continuation of these events - which will be a massive shame. Burghley is my favourite.

teapot

Visit site
Issue is that the losses on the one off concerts they have planned if cancelled are nothing compared to Burghley event....i do wonder though why they couldnt have been some sort of help given to run it rather than go elsewhere. However, maybe it wasn't wanted.

I do fear for the continuation of these events - which will be a massive shame. Burghley is my favourite.

That is the Burghley issue in a nutshell. If they'd run this year and cancelled last minute, it would have meant no Burghley next year, poss the year after. I can understand events, or the charities/trusts/companies behind them reducing the chance of going bankkrupt this year in order to save next year.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What is it with the bigger places (but not the big events) and losing volunteers? I voluteered last week for somewhere well known and won't be offering my time again.

From my experience, the organising Committee is more than happy to treat volunteers as paid help, without actually paying them, or in some cases, even providing a decent meal. They also often don't understand that most people who volunteer at horse events are giving up time with their own horses to do so.

SOS

Visit site
The impact on the local area for Burghley is a bizarre one, I have lived in Stamford the majority of my life and my family still do. Most people were gutted to lose the event, in particular the restaurant and hotel owners who always get a huge boost (everywhere within 10 miles gets sold out on burghley week). Just having competitors wouldn’t really cause much issue to the town, although they may loose the privilege of walking in the park for a few weeks.

Of course the people I know are mainly horsey/country people perhaps others were not so keen. Most people in Stamford love Burghley horse trials and those who don’t would like the town to go back to horse and cart with no tourists!

Velcrobum

Visit site
I know what you mean, I was recruited to a BE event to do a very specific role and brought my own safe space AKA my lorry and did that role AKA dressage scores and when the local event ran again recently I was contacted again said yes I was delighted to help but did not get a reply.

Velcrobum

Visit site
From my experience, the organising Committee is more than happy to treat volunteers as paid help, without actually paying them, or in some cases, even providing a decent meal. They also often don't understand that most people who volunteer at horse events are giving up time with their own horses to do so.

I have in the past been involved with recruiting volunteers for a specific task at a 3 day event. I had a stand up row when told to reduce the number of people I was recruited as the event could not afford them. I pointed out rather forcefully (as I was livid) that this group of volunteers cost the event nothing as they all paid for their food and drink same as the public or they brought their own. The only "perk" was free entry to the event. I gave up with that event because of the attitude towards their unpaid volunteers without whom the event would not happen.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Talks are being held at Blair - there was a meeting this week.....

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Fancy a road trip?!
Not if the weather is like it was for the Euro champs......
Shame we cannot go to Luhmuhlen as would be a great trip the entry list is pretty awesome. I think Pau will be seriously depleted this year due to Euros, Olympics and UK 5*.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I love Blair! I think 2019 was the only year I've ever been when it hasn't rained! But the Euros were especially wet. Would be nice to get one up here.

EventingMum

Visit site
Talks are being held at Blair - there was a meeting this week.....

Interesting, we were up last weekend, and the local consensus was that the event was unlikely to go ahead and if it did it would be behind closed doors although the financial implications of that presented a big question mark. Supposedly an H&S advisor was not particularly positive about it all. No mention was made of a 5*. The Highland Games in Pitlochry in September have been cancelled and so has the Enchanted Forest.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I wonder whether Stamford has its share of people not wanting thousands descending on its door.

There are always locals being vocal re Badminton traffic wise.

But there aren't that many locals at Badminton, surely. I suppose I haven't been on a Saturday lately so I don't know what the roads are like! But honestly, it would be like that for any large sporting event and it is only one day in the year.

teapot

Visit site
But there aren't that many locals at Badminton, surely. I suppose I haven't been on a Saturday lately so I don't know what the roads are like! But honestly, it would be like that for any large sporting event and it is only one day in the year.

Traffic's awful for Badminton on xc day; remember one year there were locals out taking photos of the queues.

Yes it's one/two days max but it still has a knock on effect. You should see the carnage Goodwood cause by running the Festival of Speed - because they take over control of local roads from five miles out, you sometimes end up driving through the fields of car parks to get N/S or E/W. It does nothing for local relations.