Bedding which drains well?

Cragrat

Visit site
As title - any recommendations for a top bedding which would allow uriine to soak through to the base, whilst remaining relatively dry on top?

I can't use baled straw (dust) or wood shavings (muck heap).

I currently use wood pellets as a base, which are very absorbant, with Walmsley Cardboard on top, which is fantastic for being totally dust free, and makes nice banks. However, it pulls up the moisture from the pellets, and develops large surface damp areas very quickly, especially when he lies down.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
something like laysoft may be useful, it looks like shavings but it's little tiny woodchips instead so doesn't absorb the wet but stays fairly fluffy.

Cragrat

Visit site
something like laysoft may be useful, it looks like shavings but it's little tiny woodchips instead so doesn't absorb the wet but stays fairly fluffy.

It probably would work well, but I don't think it would be any better on the muck heap than shavings :/

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use eqinola ( rape ) for Sky it stays very dry on top with wet clumps underneath .
It’s a sealed rubber floor and it’s a big stable but it stays very neat he is a tidy horse
as well.

Cragrat

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions :)
I did try a fifferent brand of chopped miscanthus once, and really liked it. However, I was put off by the occaisional 6-8" long sharp skewer like pieces. I complained to the manufacturer, who dismissed it as part of the natural product.

I think rape straw may be my best bet.

teacups

Visit site
I’ve seen bales of teabag bedding at my local agricultural store - imagine they would drain well, but not sure how quickly they would rot down.

I have straw pellets as a base only in the wet area, with rape (equinola) on top & in the rest of the stable.