Been threatened with the RSPCA!

Moomin1

Visit site
The RSPCA are only interested if the horse is out 24/7 with no access to food, water and shelter.

There was a horse near us which was left in the field for years untouched but because he had water, a field shelter and grass they said that this was fine, I really wouldnt worry about it.

They would probably laugh when they see your pampered ponies!!! :D if they do bother to come out.

Out of interest, how did you know the horse was 'untouched'?

If it had food, water, and shelter, then what was the problem? You don't mention health issues? :confused:

RainbowDash

Visit site
I second the notice. Non-horsey people simply don't understand that horses do look slimmer at this time of year.

My lad is kept on a lovely big field on the entry to the country park - families often come up and feed a few carrots, apples and polos. I don't have a problem - Boyo loves the attention :)

A couple of days ago I was walking Boyo down there for turnout and an old chap said he thought the horses looked 'miserable' they were relaxed and just being horses - did he expect them to be galloping about, snorting at each other - theres another guy a similar age who used to work horses on the farm in days gone by - he commented that they looked well and happy.

dollface

Visit site
Been there done it, got t-shirt! Had a call from RSPCA to say my 2 year old had a large gash to his eye that was pouring with blood and full of maggots!! Really, dead flesh being eaten whilst its bleeding??!! Needless to say it wasn't, called vet as back up who prompted me to give vets name and address to have a stiff word with them and to remind then the great British public isn't always factual!

Moomin1

Visit site
Been there done it, got t-shirt! Had a call from RSPCA to say my 2 year old had a large gash to his eye that was pouring with blood and full of maggots!! Really, dead flesh being eaten whilst its bleeding??!! Needless to say it wasn't, called vet as back up who prompted me to give vets name and address to have a stiff word with them and to remind then the great British public isn't always factual!

The great British public are far from right in many an instance, particularly when it comes to welfare.

But I don't think anybody should complain that a welfare officer has followed up an allegation, or taken the time to contact the owner to discuss the situation.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OP honestly don't worry , the officer will be well used to coming out perfectly happy well looked after horses .
I have been called to horses blindfolded by their owners ( fly masks)
Shetlands without rugs
Horses turned out in rain .
I could go.
RSPCA are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
You could ask to have the public footpath diverted around the edge of the field which may make management of the horses easier. If you use electric fences then you must keep it well away from the public footpath and also stick the recognised yellow warning signs at intervals along it.

Clippy

Visit site
Fortunately one of our branches at work does reprographics, so I'll sponge some nice weatherproof signs :D.

I mean honestly, why would anyone call the RSPCA about this, he's obviously well cared for:

picture.php

picture.php

:D

(For the record - in the photos he was enjoying his first day out without a rug! He wasn't covered in mud when the people saw him!)

The mud police will definately lock you up and throw away the key :D

Seriously, they think he's thin? Just let them report you and stop stressing OP!

Tobiano

Visit site
perhaps if these busybodies are so concerned about your horse Twostroke they can come and brush the mud off him for you :) That horse has obviously had a whale of a time!

cattysmith

Visit site
Oh God! Don't get me started on interfering busy bodies.

I had the WHW out last year to two of my ponies, both laminitics who I'd been very careful with all summer. I'd been strip grazing them all year. Our section A (on loan) was particularly sensitive to the grazing and I really had to keep his weight down, but in order to bulk him out he was getting two speedy beets and happy hoof a day.

I noticed a calling card from them so called back and spoke to the guy who eventually agreed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with them and told me that someone had called them because it was so cruel keeping two thin ponies away from the long grass when all other ponies were "nice and fat" at that time of year.

AND the reason why they were being strip grazed and didn't have masks on? Because for years I have had people taking it upon theirselves to stop and REMOVE the masks and hang them on the gate for me.

Not to mention whoever is "kind" enough to feed them grass cuttings when they're passing by!

We used to stay in the house next to the grazing, but we moved and have put the house up for sale. No bother when we lived there but since moving its been an utter nightmare. I never catch people at it, but I'm hoping I will do this summer when I move them back. And believe me when I do, the wont be interfering again!

dressagelove

Visit site
I'm going to play devil's advocate here :)
I don't know who the individual is, they might just want to cause bother for the hell of it, there are some out there!

But other than that, they might just be genuinely concerned. Clearly non horsey as they don't know what they are talking about, but why don't you just be friendly and explain to them exactly what the horse should look like this time of year and why etc.
I know it's hard if someone leaps down your throat, but there is so much angry behaviour between people these days, it's very sad, don't rise to it, just politely explain how they are wrong. IMO that will make them believe you, rather than think you have something to hide by getting the hump.

I take my (BF) horse out in his cavello booties and people ask why, and I tell them he doesn't have metal shoes on, and they tell me that's cruel ;) I just smile and politely explain why they are wrong! :p Then they always become interested and ask more questions!

harrietSJ

Visit site
Can you put up a sign saying horse is diabetic so please do not feed under vets orders? That puts it in human terms so the non-horsey concerned people will pipe down..

TwoStroke

Visit site
Thanks folks, you cheered me up at least. Particularly the plant pot and the Districtus Somes Morbus Outbreak! :D May have to try that one!

I saw someone in a van taking a look this morning then drive off, not sure if it was them, but if it was they obviously weren't interested. Or maybe it was tealeafs casing the joint! :eek:

dressagelove, I just told them that if they'd seen my hay bill they wouldn't be so worried. They just humphed and walked off.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
You have nothing to hide so welcome the rspca etc with open arms.

Put up notices about littering and not feeding your horses.
Let them know they are bring watched!

glamourpuss

Visit site
I think the signs are a good idea but I wouldn't make up a disease or anything. I bit of googling (& most people can do this from their smart phone) they will realise you are lying & just ignore them.
I would write something like
'Please do not touch or feed the horses. They have to have a strictly balanced & correct diet. Treats could make them very ill. If you have any concerns about these horses please call Me on 12355777 or my vet on 12345566 or the RSPCA on 13457887'

I think putting the RSPCA's number on just shows that you know you've got nothing to hide.

I don't envy you though, my friend had to put similar signs up when her horses were reported as having a terrible skin condition......they had the tiniest patches on their shoulders where their rugs had rubbed. ;)

touchstone

Visit site
I have a simple 'do not feed for health reasons' sign up; it doesn't specifiy whether feeding will adversely affect horse or human, but hopefully makes them think.

cptrayes

Visit site
can you feed alfalfa or condition cubes to bring the weight up a bit. 2.5 is a bit low. 3 would be better.

Are you serious!!!!?????

The grass is about to start coming through with a vengeance and you want the horse to be made fatter?

His weight is perfect for the time of year, and your own failure to understand that is, in my opinion, a symptom of a very, very big problem in horse owners at the moment, too many of whom who view overweight horses as normal.

Horseymumma

Visit site
How annoying for you. I've been there too, I used to own two shetlands and an Irish cob all kept together. I got reported because a lady thought they looked sad and lame :rolleyes:

I had to point out that they were snoozing, hence the floppy "sad looking" bottom lips and them resting a leg lol!

I agree with the sign idea too.

TGM

Visit site
can you feed alfalfa or condition cubes to bring the weight up a bit. 2.5 is a bit low. 3 would be better.

Experts agree that the healthy weight range is 2.5 to 3 (on a 0-5 scale)!

No wonder there are so many fat horses about if people think 2.5 is a bit low!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I shouldn't worry op. Our winter field is adjacent to a different farmers field where my friend keeps an out of work tb, with mostly chunkier breeds. Nearby are a handful of houses with mainly townies in, & a footpath, which although doesn't directly pass both provides an equal view of both fields, which are similar condition. Both the tb & my connie x tb score at 2.5 at this time of year. And yet every year she gets abuse &/or charity visits about the poor skinny horse. What's silly though, is both mares are the same as far as fat goes, at any time of year. Only difference is, my mare is in work, & naturally maintains decent topline, so even clipped with ribs just visible, she looks bigger than the tb, & people will say how well she looks. And yet whilst out on my mare I've had people ask me about 'the skinny one', most worryingly from some other local horse owners.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Are you serious!!!!?????

The grass is about to start coming through with a vengeance and you want the horse to be made fatter?

His weight is perfect for the time of year, and your own failure to understand that is, in my opinion, a symptom of a very, very big problem in horse owners at the moment, too many of whom who view overweight horses as normal.

I agree I keep my horses thin by modern standards when they are in hard work it's better for legs heart and lungs a horse in hard work work can be a 2 and be in no risk at all the same horse as even a 3 but definatly a 3.5 is wearing its joints and risks damaging its limbs .
Both my horses that are hunting are lean at the moment but they are fit They have a week and a half before they take a break they will gain some wieght then.
When condition scoring you need to look at the whole horse what its doing ,how it moves ,just the score is not telling the whole story.

indie999

Visit site
Dont worry then. Tell them to please report you and can they be there when the RSPCA come along so they can hear it for themselves. Then ask them to apologise. We have been reported before with an old horse. The RSPCA informed us they knew as soon as they spotted him he was elderly 37. Due to footpath coming through etc(I hope they are picking up their dog poo if they are with dog..as perhaps thats causing the grass to stale...sorry I digress as I know what its like). At least they have made you aware they are to report you.

Let them.

Moomin1

Visit site
Dont worry then. Tell them to please report you and can they be there when the RSPCA come along so they can hear it for themselves. Then ask them to apologise. We have been reported before with an old horse. The RSPCA informed us they knew as soon as they spotted him he was elderly 37. Due to footpath coming through etc(I hope they are picking up their dog poo if they are with dog..as perhaps thats causing the grass to stale...sorry I digress as I know what its like). At least they have made you aware they are to report you.

Let them.

That's a good idea! :D

TwoStroke

Visit site
Experts agree that the healthy weight range is 2.5 to 3 (on a 0-5 scale)!

No wonder there are so many fat horses about if people think 2.5 is a bit low!

Glad most people on here seem to agree with this!

Tbh, I don't want any more fat on him ever; only more muscle, which is why he's been on fibre only over winter, and only gets a conditioning feed when he's in work. He's tricky to manage, but this seems to work for him, so I'm happy. I'm more worried about the other one, who's a 3 on the 1-5 scale, but hasn't dropped any weight all winter. He's also a little bit cresty :(.

Do the RSPCA usually leave a card or a note? I haven't heard from them, but think that may have been them taking a look yesterday. They obviously took one look at my two running around trying to bite each other's knees and decided discretion was the better part of valour :p.

dee378

Visit site
We've had the RSPCA out to us twice because of nosey village idiots, and they have been lovely :) We have a TB who wouldn't look out of place on a race track, very fine type, used to be really hard to keep weight on her. Anyway, they came out and their answer was "well I wouldn't want to sit on a fat race horse type.... would you?" and they went back to the people who reported us and confirmed there was no problem. The people then went on to report us to DEFRA.... who came out and said the same thing. If there is nothing wrong with your horse (which from the pictures it's clear to see there is no issue especially at this time of year) you have nothing to worry about. The RSPCA have to come out to every complaint/report made (well, this was the case when they came out around 10 years ago) and their answer was also, "I wish these people would stop wasting our time and money and report things that really are a problem".

If they turn up when you are not there, they usually stick their head over the fence, see what they can see, but from what I know, the won't go on private land to check a horse without the land owner there. I don't think they left a card when they missed us.

Sorry to ramble on - but I hope this helps!

Once was lost

Visit site
A friend was threatened with the RSPA this week because her live out horses had rugs on. Yes it was quite a nice day on Tuesday however like me she had taken rugs off the woolly not in work ones and put light rugs/ rain sheets on the clipped in work ones.
It is madness and very frustrating when you know how far stretched the welfare organisations are. All too many real welfare cases are out there without the organisations that can help are being tied up with ignorance and malicious reports but there really is nothing you can do apart from try and educate the ignorant and cooperate with inspectors. I am sure we would all rather deal with this kind of thing occasionally then have no welfare organisations at all.

maree t

Visit site
I know it can be irritating but I had them round once because one of my ponies was underweight. They totally accepted that she was 32 and was well fed and cared for. People passing by could not have known that. It is not always easy to start questioning strangers about the care of their animals.
I would prefer that they check all animals that are reported and hope they spot the ones in real need.

Visit site
I agree. I think if people are concerned, they are right to do something about it, rather than ignore it. that's what leads to true neglect and abuse.

If your horses are fine (and they sound it lol), then that's what will be reported back, and those people will then learn.

We shouldn't discourage reporting of concerns.

I once reported some horses which had no water in the boiling hot summer, and were pawing at their water trough. I hung around, and half an hour later the owner arrived carrying a dozen water containers - her water had gone off. I approached her and apologised, told her what I'd done, and she was ok about it. Hopefully happy to see someone cared. I was then able to cancel the call.