Before I go to look...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
SLH I am very suspicious how somebody managed to get LOU paid out three years ago on a suspensory strain that didn't even thicken the leg. It's perfectly possible to event again after some suspensory strains, and I would have expected the insurers to make the owners make at least one attempt to return the horse to eventing before making an LOU payment. I suspect that the ligament was either very severely damaged leaving permanent scarring visible on a scan, or that he has done it twice. He's also desperately cheap for a sound horse of his quality with good scans, which also makes me very wary. I fear at that price he has already failed a vetting and they are hoping that he will be taken off their hands without one.

If I add to that the fact that once he is carrying more weight and feeling fit and well, he might turn into a different horse than the one you try, then he's a no for me at this point.

PLEASE don't go and see him, even if he is next door, unless you can harden your heart and be absolutely objective, because right now I'm sure he's a lovely quiet character you will probably fall in love with.

Can you afford the insurance, if you insure, to exclude any lameness in both front legs and any possibly also lameness due to tendon or ligaments in all four legs, because I suspect that's what they will do?

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And I do agree with others. LOTS of questions to ask before viewing, including his name when eventing to look up his record and who owned him. It certainly wasn’t the seller.

And having thought about it some more, I’m not sure this is in any way the one for you.

If you do drvide to go and see it, make sure you ask them if they have his original passport when you make the appt. I’d be suspicious of his age (he looks 18 not 11), and if they haven’t got it.”, don’t go and see it.

Ceifer

Visit site
I'm also in the don’t bother camp. Unless you’ve got the money to write the horse off or PTS.
The advert looks like a dealer and a rough one at that. I am from the midlands so don’t feel bad about saying it but Tipton isn’t the nicest area either so would be a bit wary. Also The horse looks very poor.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Horse local to me 11 years old, done a bit of everything, safe as houses, etc. Heavy sports type with gone bone. A bit bigger than I was wanting BUT he looks like a nice, kind boy and I'm keen to see him.
Is sound with no issues, currently doing the job wanted but he is a LOU due to doing a suspensory ligament a couple of years ago.
Open to a 5 stage vetting. He seems almost perfect in every other way and is cheap enough to take a chance. *please note that sane friend found him and thinks hes definitely worth a look*
Thoughts please..!!

ETA link to advert
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118950014/bfg-all-rounder.html

I think I recognise the rider as Bradley Mills who advertises on fb. Don’t know anything about him but like another poster people who don’t wear hats jump out at me

irishdraft

Visit site
I definitely would not view this horse too poor for a start and the pic of the chap without a hat would send immediate warning signals to me . Dealer that deals in cheap horses means avoid cheap for a reason and not just the LOU

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm really puzzled why anyone wanting to buy a horse cares what the rider is wearing?

For me, the lack of a hat shows that the rider has absolutely no concerns about coming off the horse and hitting their head. I would consider it at least neutral and possibly a positive.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think I recognise the rider as Bradley Mills who advertises on fb. Don’t know anything about him but like another poster people who don’t wear hats jump out at me

Just checked out his fb page.

The advert you posted OP indicates a private sale. But he’s a dealer, of very low end and cost horses. And it looks a bit rough.

You may get lucky, but anything that may once have had a bit of quality looks poor and rather sad. You’d have to be bloody sharp to not get taken down the garden path.

ozpoz

Visit site
Well, the facts that the pic shows a hatless rider, and that the horse is poor would not put me off.
I'd go and see him, with all wits about me - and a friend.

rara007

Visit site
I wouldn’t bother to view for you SLH (suspensories are too vital to mess with and who knows what sort of horse you’ll have once it’s fed up and feeling well). I’m not sure you’ll ever get a clear cut answer from a large group of horsey people! Listen to your friends and people you respect, and your own wishes of course! You have to do what’s right for you,

J&S

Visit site

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Please just walk away - it is clearly a dealer and a million miles from a private sale - the poor horse is only worth meat money, and that isn't much these days. I am totally gobsmacked that people I have followed and respect their knowledge on here, are advising you go and see the horse! Why bother????...you wont be able to insure ANY horse that has been paid out on LOU - full stop. Give 6 months ownership and you will be posting on here what can you do as you cant pay the vet bills on the poor animal and PTS is the only option left to you.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Nice. The hatless thing made me think, right or wrong, of a certain community.

The shire x whatever looks fab for a happy hacker type or some low level dressage. My kind of horse looks wise, sturdy build! I’d want x rays cos I’m paranoid now about heavies developing arthritis. 😳

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well, he is 17 hands...you said that was too big and wanted 16 to 16.2
he is a lighter build than you said, you wanted something with feathers
he looks very poor , how well behaved will he be when well and fit
and all that is before the injury........IMO not suitable going on your requirements in your latest post:(

palo1

Visit site
Criollo/Argentinian sounds interesting. Criollo's are tough, even tempered horses on the whole, easy going, easy keepers :) I would love one !!

Michen

Visit site
I don't see a loss of use freeze mark on him anywhere and they are, I think, mandatory and usually done on the shoulder?

Not necessarily, you can get them put wherever. I knew someone who purposely had it under the saddle so she could go out and compete etc.

SusieT

Visit site
He looks extremely weak and I'd highly doubt he's in any sort of work- I'd leave well alone as he looks very poor and has a history of any injury which is notorious for being difficult to get sound - if you were to look you would need a good vetting, and be aware it could go anytime.

Lammy

Visit site
I messaged SLH earlier on about this one. I dont know the sellers name so would need checking, but worth asking about!
Too funny because I messaged her earlier about the same one!
Did a quick search on dodgy dealer page and google and nothing showed for good or bad?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Glad you're not going to see the horse in the OP. LOU aside, he looks like a poor, sorry and rather unwell animal.

Coralerro looks great (though there is no guarantee from the ad that it has a head :p). I knew a lady with one years ago and it was the most delightful horse to have around - just radiated calm. I'd go see that one 👍