Best 0g summer turnout rug when wet ?

Spangles

Visit site
I like Horsewear rugs but open to any other recommendations - 5ft 9"

Prefer not to rug but would like a no neck sheet for when very wet

Ossy2

Visit site
As SS recent Rambo convert here and wouldn’t go back to anything else. I just gave the 0g original so not the fancy fancy ones but it is the new style originals with the liner loops in them

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I love a Rambo. I also have a very reliable Rhino which was much cheaper.
Ive never tried a LW Swish but bought a 2nd hand one a bit thicker and it’s 100% waterproof in any amount of rain so I’d agree they may well be worth a look, and are cheaper still.

rextherobber

Visit site
I've just bought a weatherbeata, the rain beads on the fabric so just rolls off. Although hated having to buy a rug in July!

P.forpony

Visit site
Love my Rhino, it's the only rug I've needed all year!
I got the 0g with liner loops and all the options for inside. It also seems to come up warmer than the gram weight of the liners. Probably because of the layering.
I've always layered rugs but this is a much lighter and cleaner way, all my liners fit in a normal washing machine and come up beautifully which is the Icing on the cake.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've just cut the neck off my PE Stay Dry fly rug. Its too warm for the neck and it rubbed anyway and normally i wouldnt rug for rain this time of the year but its handy for wanting to ride a dry backed horse in the evenings and a lot cooler than a turnout.

Attachments

• Zeus PE stay dry.jpg
    Zeus PE stay dry.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 17

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Rambo for me as well. i use the 0g ones all year round with a liner underneath when needed so get my moneys worth. they last for years and years.

Redders

Visit site
I won’t buy any rugs less than 1200D now, but currently can’t afford Rambo/rhino. I had to get a new 0g last week and went for a Gallop Trojan Xtra which is 1200D, no neck (but has attachments) for £44.95, which I thought was a bargain. She stayed dry in the down pours we have had in the last couple days

Annagain

Visit site
I know some don't like them but I've always found PE rugs really good. Having said that, I bought Charlie a second hand Gallop rug when I bought him because I knew he'd outgrow it within a year and I've been impressed with that - the only slight issue is the neck doesn't fit him brilliantly so it lets a bit of water in there but it's waterproof across his back. Really not bad for £15!

wiglet

Visit site
At this time of year I find even 0g turnout rugs seem to be too warm for my horse. I have the Rambo Summer Series Turnout and I can't fault it. More a fly sheet than a turnout but has kept my mare dry in some torrential downpours. It's also supplied with a liner which just covers the back area and a neck cover - I've not used either but, I guess they're useful to have. Not cheap but Rambo's never are...

bouncing_ball

Visit site
At this time of year I find even 0g turnout rugs seem to be too warm for my horse. I have the Rambo Summer Series Turnout and I can't fault it. More a fly sheet than a turnout but has kept my mare dry in some torrential downpours. It's also supplied with a liner which just covers the back area and a neck cover - I've not used either but, I guess they're useful to have. Not cheap but Rambo's never are...

I like the Aussie All Rounder.

Reactions: TPO

asmp

Visit site
I won’t buy any rugs less than 1200D now, but currently can’t afford Rambo/rhino. I had to get a new 0g last week and went for a Gallop Trojan Xtra which is 1200D, no neck (but has attachments) for £44.95, which I thought was a bargain. She stayed dry in the down pours we have had in the last couple days
I managed to buy a second hand Rhino wug for about £30 off eBay. Really pleased with it!

Visit site
I just love my waterproof shires fly rug. My boy literally lives in his when out in the summer and it means I don't have to keep thinking about what rug needs to go on. ?

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've a weatherbeeta 1200d 0g that stands up to winter rain very well and have never found any 600d to do the same so would look for a 1200d in which brand fits your horse well.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Must be 1200D,600D are useless!

I was only ever a Weatherbeeta buyer for 9+yrs however after my most recent purchase fell to pieces after very light use I requested my money back and went elsewhere. I got a Swish and have been very very very impressed!

Andie02

Visit site
I know some don't like them but I've always found PE rugs really good. Having said that, I bought Charlie a second hand Gallop rug when I bought him because I knew he'd outgrow it within a year and I've been impressed with that - the only slight issue is the neck doesn't fit him brilliantly so it lets a bit of water in there but it's waterproof across his back. Really not bad for £15!

Presuming that the neck is too big you could try tacking/sewing in a tuck on the binding on both sides of the neck, make sure that the fold in the spare fabric is put in so that water cannot sit in the fold but is on the underside. I would suggest getting someone to help you, one of you on each side of the neck so that you can work out how much of a tuck to put in and measure it accurately, and whereabouts on the neck the tuck needs to be to get the right fit for the neck. I would only sew on the binding and not the fabric so that if needs be the tucks can be taken out and will not leave needle holes in the rug. You will need to use very strong thread that you cannot break with your hands.

Last edited: