Best anatomical / comfort bridles for dressage?

007Equestrian

Visit site
After a traumatic day yesterday (reins got caught in a slamming barn door with me stuck on the other side, horse panicked and thankfully the bridle snapped!) I'm in the market for a new bridle! My mare competes at Inter-1 dressage, so we need something that looks more traditional than a micklem. I'd like something more comfortable for her - she previously had a standard cavesson. I was looking at the Fairfax and PS of Sweden but would love to know any successes or horror stories before parting with that kind of cash!
Thanks!

Annagain

Visit site
It's a standard design rather than an anatomical one but I have this bridle from English Bridles https://www.englishbridles.co.uk/shop/product.asp?strParents=91&CAT_ID=124&P_ID=638

The padding on the head piece is lovely and I really like the way the noseband sits in a groove on the outside of the headpiece - it's both neat and comfortable. I'm a big fan of plain bridles but there are more dressagey looking options too.

AFB

Visit site
I bought a PS High Jump - horse loves the headpiece but didn't get on with the noseband.

Didn't want to splash out on the PS noseband so bought a Henry James replacement, quality is fab and tbh in hindsight I'd happily have bought the full bridle from them.

007Equestrian

Visit site
I bought a PS High Jump - horse loves the headpiece but didn't get on with the noseband.

Didn't want to splash out on the PS noseband so bought a Henry James replacement, quality is fab and tbh in hindsight I'd happily have bought the full bridle from them.

Ooh thanks for this - I've never come across this brand before!

007Equestrian

Visit site
It's my first experience buying from them but I'd heard good things, parcel arrived nicely packaged and with a free cap included. I also bought a pair of reins which I'm equally pleased with :)

Would you say the pressure-relieving design is as good as the PS of Sweden? I was put off by the PS noseband so would have been getting the plainer style anyway!

McFluff

Visit site
Personally I won't get a PS bridle again - I like the design features, and it felt soft when I got it, but the leather stretched (and very quickly too) and discoloured (even with care). For that horse, I went back to my Micklem!

For my new horse I have a Sabre cordoba comfort. Really like it, and it has had lots of compliments.

Friends have the Fairfax and swear by it - looks lovely quality, but I have heard that some horses just don't like it (and if you like swapping browbands a lot, it may not be for you!).

flat3

Visit site
I have the Saturn bridle from Horsemanship Saddlery (link here) and I love it; horse was noticeably immediately more comfortable (though previous bridle good quality and good fit) and the leather is lovely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For my new horse I have a Sabre cordoba comfort. Really like it, and it has had lots of compliments.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but how do you find the sizing of the Sabre Córdoba bridle? Wondering whether to take a punt on a second hand XFS Córdoba for my chunky IDx who is normally in a FS in other brands, but without much room to spare.

hellspells

Visit site
I’m a massive fan of the Antares bridles. I was able to try the headpiece first, and having been incredibly sceptical I was hugely impressed at the difference. There are a variety of nose bands available too.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sorry for the thread hijack, but how do you find the sizing of the Sabre Córdoba bridle? Wondering whether to take a punt on a second hand XFS Córdoba for my chunky IDx who is normally in a FS in other brands, but without much room to spare.
All the measurements are on the sabre website :)

I have a pretty old cordoba and they are super quality.
Mine is pretty standard for sizing,its a mix of cob and full which is what all of my horses need in all brands!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
My boy used to carry quite a lot of tension through his poll until I switched him to the Fairfax. Our physio was amazed at the difference in him after only a matter of weeks, and he generally just felt a lot freer in his movement. That said, I agree with PP that they can be a bit marmite so definitely try one before buying.

LouisCat

Visit site
We have a fairfax which has helped one no end but made no difference to the other horse. The only thing is for a £4/500 bridle the leather quality isn't great. A year old and has stretched and the strap (drop noseband) that gets damp around the horse's mouth is now brown not black as the dye has gone☹️

LouisCat

Visit site
I’m a massive fan of the Antares bridles. I was able to try the headpiece first, and having been incredibly sceptical I was hugely impressed at the difference. There are a variety of nose bands available too.

Is there somewhere you can trial the Antares bridle in the UK? Love them but would like to try one on the horse first :)

hihosilver

Visit site
Just bought a Henry james Dressage bridle, it is very good quality and the leather is super! good price as well. I am not that impressed with Fairfax I thought the leather was hard!

McFluff

Visit site
I’d agree with MP - it feels true to size. I phoned and was advised to measure a bridle that fitted him well by laying it out flat. You can then compare to the size charts on the website.

ThreeWBs

Visit site
I have a Sabre Cordoba birdle that is now 14 years old and still beautiful. I used it to back my then 4 year old Oldenburg pictured below. It has a super soft headpiece and a sheepskin jaw pad on the noseband

43087821_10156199826252772_7057050889927786496_o.jpg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’d agree with MP - it feels true to size. I phoned and was advised to measure a bridle that fitted him well by laying it out flat. You can then compare to the size charts on the website.
Thanks, did just this morning and the XFS looks to be spot on for sizing. Have bought it as good used condition for £72 inc reins and postage. Fingers crossed that it’s as good as it looked in the pics :).