best and lovely names

Vanner

Visit site
I read through some of the threads and just love some of the names of the horses that people talk about, so just wondered what are the best names you have come across?

For me, my friend has a beautiful part bred arab and his name is Eden Gate Rainmaker, which I love, and by far the funniest was a lady at a show with her horse called Colin and her Jack Russell called Brian!!! Oh and my mate at college had a cat called Alan ....

Just a bit of fun, is all ....:D

Bexx

Visit site
My old pony was called Jeeves which i loved and it suited him perfectly :) Friend of mine has a tb called Alan haha. Sure theres more but I can't think right now

TelH

Visit site
My Forester's reg name is Mockbeggar Gonna Getcha. Mockbeggar is the line of ponies she is from, the rest of her name is because when I got her she had never been handled and was rather good at spinning her backside on you :eek:

My youngster's stable name is Harold, after my late grandfather :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
My Forester's reg name is Mockbeggar Gonna Getcha. Mockbeggar is the line of ponies she is from, the rest of her name is because when I got her she had never been handled and was rather good at spinning her backside on you :eek:

My youngster's stable name is Harold, after my late grandfather :)

Ooooh I was writing at Keysoe yesterday and we had a mock beggar in the ring. It was lovely!

Lolo

Visit site
My old boy was called Cheeky, which suited him down to the ground. Aside from the fact it conjours up images of fuzzy little grey ponies, not smart 15.2hh bay TBs :D His show name was No Surrender, which was also absolutely perfect.

(aside from the very funny judge who commented that "he certainly didn't surrender today!" after a particularly awful dressage test!)

Madam Min

Visit site
Not a true horses name but a local venue to us at competitions whether it'd be dressage, eventing, jumping or whatever they call people like this "Next in mrs bloggs on dobbin" then to give fair warning they read out the next couple of combinations followed by "stand by", after going to several comps at this yard, someone we knew said in genuine naiviety, "That Stand By is always here, competes at both affiliated and unaffiliated! We had to explain it wasnt a horse, it was just the organisers way of letting people know who was in next! :p

Reactions: JJS

charlimouse

Visit site
I used to have a horse called Colin! I actually think all my horses suit their names, but I love Pickle's posh name which is the stud prefix followed by Superstar. Really suits him, and sums him up well. He is a superstar!!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
A mare called 'Surprise' had a colt that the owners called 'Sir Prize', that was quite sweet.

'Bob le Cob' - started out as joke because it looked like a bog pony when it first came from Ireland and it was supposed to be something special so was referred to as Bob. 'Bob the Cob' then became 'Bob le Cob' because it was by a horse called 'Le One'.

One of the most beautiful horses I have ever met (both to look at and temperament wise) was called 'Virtue', which I loved.

I've named horses all sorts of stupid things - like Clive, Jeff, Doris, Mavis... - most are not called these names now (understandably)

Last edited:

RoughcutDiamond

Visit site
Well my Roughcut Diamond's stable name is Dave, derived from his passport name of Davidson (he arrived nameless at the yard I bought him from but with a horse named Harley....). We lost our lovely anglo-nubian goat, Elmo, at the yard recently but now have 2 new rescue goaties - Rosie and......................Nigel!!!

Pinky94

Visit site
My collie is called colin haha.

At the stud I used to work at there was a gorgeous pure bred Arab called Brian :eek:

tonitot

Visit site
My horse is called Ethel! :) I dont have a show name for her though, I keep finding ones I like and then changing my mind!

We have a horse at work who is huge and looks more like a police horse than a racehorse, so his owner's called him Crowd Control which I love :)

Charmin

Visit site
I had an ex-racer TB that I evented purely for fun (used to get a cricket score SJing but boy did that horse go XC) called In The Nude. So it was So-and-so riding In The Nude, which caused much hilarity :D

CountryStar

Visit site
the stables that I learnt to ride at when I was little had a pony called Norman which I liked, there was also a horse called Elvis and a huge horse called Tiny. Sisters friend had a pony called Spider but I've always loved the name Pickle for a horse :)

Qru

Visit site
My brothers gf has Winston and Jerry, which I love!
My boys show name is Ricardo FX - given by his previous owner who, at the time, had Leonardo FX and Ricardo FX - sounds kinda fancy until you realise that FX stands for Fatty Express :D

mandwhy

Visit site
I love names like Colin, Alan, Paul, I just never get tired of it haha!

The winner of Crufts years ago was called Mark, if I recall rightly he was a tiny black papillon!

Cluny

Visit site
Some great names here!

Many years ago I had a New Forest gelding who's registered name was Limekiln About Time Too! He was a very late foal.

HeresHoping

Visit site
<Dons boastful hat and swiftly takes it off again as not polite>

I love creating horse names, the old fashioned way, drawing from lineage.

I have a friend/client who has a stud farm and sometimes when I've been very good she lets me name a foal or two. My best was La Rondine - opera fans will know that means 'the swallow' - who is by United but also has Rigoletto in her blood lines.

One of last year's colts was Royal Blue, born on the Queen's Jubilee, but by Royal Diamond and out of Barracuda - (fish, sea, deep blue, see what I did there?). We also have a Union Black, by Uthopia, born a couple of days before. I think we were on 'B's last year.

My favourite names were Charlie Bubbles (my first pony), an OTTB called Talatala (which is a sunbird), Inshallah, Indamood, Vat 69 and my own more recent TB, Myboyspook. He was a Silver Patriarch boy, and I thought it was a great concoction.

My all time favourite dog name, however, I felt was absolutely inspired. A JRT called Vernon.:D

Last edited:

Cluny

Visit site
<Dons boastful hat and swiftly takes it off again as not polite>

I love creating horse names, the old fashioned way, drawing from lineage.

I have a friend/client who has a stud farm and sometimes when I've been very good she lets me name a foal or two. My best was La Rondine - opera fans will know that means 'the swallow' - who is by United but also has Rigoletto in her blood lines.

One of last year's colts was Royal Blue, born on the Queen's Jubilee, but by Royal Diamond and out of Barracuda - (fish, sea, deep blue, see what I did there?). We also have a Union Black, by Uthopia, born a couple of days before. I think we were on 'B's last year.

My favourite names were Charlie Bubbles (my first pony), an OTTB called Talatala (which is a sunbird), Inshallah, Indamood, Vat 69 and my own more recent TB, Myboyspook. He was a Silver Patriarch boy, and I thought it was a great concoction.

My all time favourite dog name, however, I felt was absolutely inspired. A JRT called Vernon.:D

Ooh Hereshoping, I might have to ask you nicely for name suggestions in a years time as my Dutch WB mare (Kimberley x Adonius x Lysander) is hopefully going to be having a foal by Serano Gold (Sandro Hit x Grundstein II x Futuro). I'm useless at names!