best and lovely names

slumdog

Visit site
My tb is reg as Slumdog, when I went to try him she was a bit embarrassed to tell me his name! Then I asked her what he was called in the stable, Slumdog. Right, Slumdog it is then lol! We do call him Slummy or Slum.

My other lad is Boden Irish Lad, his sire is Vales Blue Boden who is a reg Connemara pony but I've not been able to find anything about :(

Rosie is Rosie XVII, her owners weren't very imaginative lol!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Ruby didnt have an official name but I always wanted it to be Ruby Two Shoes - she was only shod on her fronts and it just sounded right somehow.

Chico was Paint Me Proud, which i loved :)

Kasper's passported name is Sun Dance, which i think is really lovely and suits his unusual and very bright colouration. Cant wait to get out competing and start using it. :D

KidnapMoss

Visit site
i have a pony called holtball krakatoa :D his sire is hawkwell versuvius :D

the vet said when he first came to do his jabs, from the name he expected an 18hh fire breathing stallion...out came a 12 hand hairy exmoor :p

my other ponies name is my user name..always raises an eyebrow!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Along the lines of 'this is so and so riding...' I have also heard:

Cloud 9
The Bike
The Village Bike
The Mother in Law
To the Stars
A Glorified Donkey

The problem is that some announces say 'this is so and so with...', which ruins the joke for some of them.

Iberian girl

Visit site
A lady came up to me in the yard the other day where I was grooming my very Spanish and regal looking (I think anyway;)) PRE and she asked what his name was. I proudly told her it was Americano de Salvatella but added, slightly smugly I'll admit, that his stable name was Zorro.

"oh" she said "that's nice. I thought he looks like a Brian"

That put me in my place!

Captain Bridget

Visit site
My share horse is called Larry. It suits him though, he's a pretty happy guy! I think his reg name is BackatLarry('s) or something, I'd much prefer it to be Happy as Larry!

I knew a horse called Colin at college, and a Robert and an Amos. I love the average human names!

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I was the breeder of my dog of a lifetime, a Golden Retriever. When she was 3 weeks old, I knew she was something very special. I named her Echowoode Whispered Wishes, and called her Truffles. Not only was she an outstanding example of the breed and became a group placing champion, I kept her litter sister, who was a champion, as well (Echowoode What a Smoothie). What was even more significant about my girls was that they were born on my birthday.

KidnapMoss

Visit site
OMG just LOVE Hawkwell Versuvius! What a clever horse he is! Do you do agility with yours?

lovely isnt he! no i dont with mine maybe one day though, hes 2 - we show a bit - hes defo inherited his dads good looks, and loves climbing on things just like bear! (versuvius!)

SCMSL

Visit site
I changed my current horse's name to Lorraine (actually St Pr A Lorraine Saint Lazare). She came with an awful name I never want to repeat again so I made sure I got her one as regal as she is :)

The Saint Lazare was my mom's doing - and quite a surprise when I got her new passport from Germany!

LollyDolly

Visit site
One of my Collie's is called Desmond, it really suits his special nature! :D

I also called one of my Chinchilla's Henry, but he's known as HRH (His Royal Henry) :eek:

Sadly my horse has a boring name, his stable name is Sandy and his show name is Killakeen Sandy so it's nothing too exciting, I just couldn't change it though because I don't like changing names :eek: Might change his show name to something more interesting though! :D

I have only ever changed one pet's name and that was another one of my Chinchilla's, he is pure white (a pink white for the Chinnie enthusiasts among you!) and was called Gizmo, what an awful name! :eek: I changed it to Casper which is a much nicer name :p

NellRosk

Visit site
My boy's show name is Riverdance Roski Rebel and when we got him he was called Rebel, but being the least rebellious horse changed it to Roski :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
My horse's registered name is Snow Wood Gypsum Moon (Snow Wood Farms being the breeder). She goes by Gypsum these days.

chaps89

Visit site
Mine is called Phoenix, show name Egypts Legend, always wanted to buy a youngster so I could call it Pegasus, show name Greek Myth, maybe it's a good job that the horses I'm looking at already have names :eek:
Not a nice name at all, horse at RS I used to work at was called Killur (pronounced killer) quite apt too!
My mum & dads Dalmatian is called Chandhally Whatacracker as she was born the night after new years eve & fireworks we going off at the time so all of the pups in that litter had firework related names complete with breeders prefix :)

RLS

Visit site
my arab's name is Kahwa Tarabaiza.
Which means Coffee Table (you know, flat on the top and a leg at each corner).

maryk91

Visit site
Just brought a new GSP puppy into the family, called her Minnie so she could be my other one's Mini Me. Our 24 year old pony came to us at age 5 with the name Rumbee Bear given him by his owner's tough looking biker partner who used to call him Rumbee Bumbee Bear. Suits him, actually - built for comfort! But the loveliest names are the double-barrelled ones the Lipizzaner stallions have, taken from the male line they belong to with the dam's name attached, so 'Neapolitano Fantasis', 'Conversano Galanta', 'Siglavy Mantua'.

WelshD

Visit site
One of my ponies is Idyllic Harry Patch which is a bit of a mouthful but quite suits him. The other came to me with the name Iwan but I changed it to Kingshill as it has 'such a ring to it' that was brilliant until my husband pointed out it was a bit like Kingsmill and that people would associate him with sliced bread!

We have a goat called Dave, it suits him perfectly and he has a bling collar with his name spelt out in diamontes - tacky as hell but he looks fab in it

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My young boy, a gypsy cob, piebald with blue eyes, is called Moses. I called him that because it was the name of the man I bought him off and it suited him. One of the patches on his side is like a heart, so his show name will be "a roaming heart".

Ffin is called Ffin because it is short for muffin, he looked like a mule at birth and now he is too handsome to be called that. His show name is Muffin the Magnificent, simply because he is!!!

I had a dog called spit because he looked like the puppet and my new dog is called Skruffy, I do not know why because he is not really, the woman was very insistent on the K rather then a C, I think it is a cartoon character.

doriangrey

Visit site
My tb is reg as Slumdog, when I went to try him she was a bit embarrassed to tell me his name! Then I asked her what he was called in the stable, Slumdog. Right, Slumdog it is then lol! We do call him Slummy or Slum.

My other lad is Boden Irish Lad, his sire is Vales Blue Boden who is a reg Connemara pony but I've not been able to find anything about :(

Rosie is Rosie XVII, her owners weren't very imaginative lol!

Was it the stallion you wanted info on? Here he is, he has some very nice breeding in there.

Vales Blue Boden, S0001156, 148 C M, Steel Grey, 01/06/2000
Sire: Boden Park Finnard (S0000899) Dam: Bunowen Castle Lady (M0009265)
Breeder: Mr Feichin & Kerry King, Ballyconneely, Co. Galway.
Owner: Martin Cunningham, Westside Stud, Cree, Kilrush, Co. Clare 086 3748161

http://www.webpedigrees.com/pedigree.php?nid=414911

Holding

Visit site
My big lad is Donnerhall lined so had to choose a D name, and all of the Don somethings seemed to be taken, so he is Dijamant. I liked it until the vet came out and pronounced it 'Diamante' and I realized it sounded a bit Katie Price-ish. :eek: His stable name is Jaime - when asked about the spelling I tell people it's because he's German, when in fact it's because he's named after Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones. Such a dork...

I have in the past loaned horses called Rodney and Bob. I rather like human names for horses.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
My late mare was named Moja, which is number 1 in swahilli (african language), the guy who bred her worked in Kenya, hense the reasoning for her name. Her foals were named mbili (number 2), and tatu (number 3). I loved the little story behind her beautiful name, and even more so that her foals followed the tradition :).

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My late mare was named Moja, which is number 1 in swahilli (african language), the guy who bred her worked in Kenya, hense the reasoning for her name. Her foals were named mbili (number 2), and tatu (number 3). I loved the little story behind her beautiful name, and even more so that her foals followed the tradition :).

This is so lovely, :), such sweet names.

TheLadyInBay

Visit site
My boy is called Milton and he is small and ginger and not leggy and grey. His show name is Firefly because he's ginger and goes really fast!

As a teenager my Bella used to compete as re-Bella-yen (say it out loud)

There's a foal at the yard called Borris.

Knew a horse called Suggy

Would love to call a horse Arwyn or Arya

Casey76

Visit site
Such fun show names in the UK!

In France all fully papered, and most half papaered horses have to have a name beginning with a certain letter depending on the year they were born. 2013 is D.

You can imagine what happened in 2008 when the letter was U... how many names can you think of beginning with U? lol I know lots now ;)

Some breeds it doesn't apply to (I think TBs and arabs), and of course foreign bred horses which are then registered in France, but it is handy in a way that you can tell how old a horse is by their name.

Any "backyard" breeder can register a suffix (prefixes don't exist here), for a pretty nominal fee, and then the breeder can choose not to give some of his foals that suffix (it is all very confusing!)

My 2yo Blitz has two full siblings.

Blitz von Illmatten (2011)
Calamity (2012) (who names a horse calamity??? lol)
Despée von Illmatten (2013)

So I think I was fairly lucky with names. Blitz just gets called Blitz.

My new mare is officially Titine d'Alzen, but she got called Tartine almost from day one (embarrassingly tartine is basically a slice of bread/open sandwich)

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
This is so lovely, :), such sweet names.

It's lovely isn't it :). Number 4 is "nne" (pronounced with an I, instead of E) which I absolutely love. But there was never a 4th in the generation, and I never wanted to breed from her, so it never got used. But I'm adament that one day I'll get to use the name for something :).

HeresHoping

Visit site

Did she have any more? Nne, Tanu, Sita?

Do you know who bred her? Please p.m. me the name. Swahili is my second language and I grew up in Kenya. Chances are, I will know anyone to do with horses, even now as it's a very small world and we all keep up with each other.

Swahili is great for naming horses. I nearly bought a horse named Angel but we already had an Angel on the yard. She would have been Mlaika instead, which is Angel in Swahili.

My dogs from the Caribbean were Matata, Mneno, and Tabu Impia. All three mean 'Trouble' in various formats, but the Impia bit means 'another'. I still have Tabu Impia, and also have a black lab called Chui, which means leopard. Well, it was a change from 'Simba'.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Did she have any more? Nne, Tanu, Sita?

Do you know who bred her? Please p.m. me the name. Swahili is my second language and I grew up in Kenya. Chances are, I will know anyone to do with horses, even now as it's a very small world and we all keep up with each other.

Swahili is great for naming horses. I nearly bought a horse named Angel but we already had an Angel on the yard. She would have been Mlaika instead, which is Angel in Swahili.

My dogs from the Caribbean were Matata, Mneno, and Tabu Impia. All three mean 'Trouble' in various formats, but the Impia bit means 'another'. I still have Tabu Impia, and also have a black lab called Chui, which means leopard. Well, it was a change from 'Simba'.

Hiya,

Will PM you :)

Garnet

Visit site
My boy's registered name was Solstice, because he was born on Midsummer's day. It was amazing how many times a commentator could mess it up though!
There was a horse eventing in the mid-1990s called Hoof-Hearted, which caused some amusement when announced over the tannoy . . .