Best basic balancer for horse returning to work

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - my gelding is coming back into work following nearly a year off after arthroscopy surgery on his stifles. He seems to be doing okay (keeping fingers and toes crossed) and looks really well on Hifi Lite and a little Allen & Page L mix - he has never been laminitic but my YO had to use it up after her laminitic horse went off it, so I thought it would be an okay choice for my horse who was out of work and didn't need to put on any weight or have any sugar. He is running out of this and so my YO has asked me to choose another balancer or stay on the L Mix.

My horse is a Cob X and a reasonably good doer - at the moment he looks just right and he is starting to put on some muscle (this is his 4th week of walk work). His feet are also growing better after a phase of him not growing much foot. Supplements wise he is on Equinox Gastro-U (he had ulcers last year and I just want something to help protect his tummy although hopefully if he isn't in discomfort he won't get them again) and turmeric.

I have seen the Top Spec joint balancer and was would be interested to know if any of you have tried it? Are there any other balancers that contain extra ingredients for joint health? The topspec one has Glucosamine as the main joint ingredient, with some MSM, Chondroitin and some others.

Or should I just stick with a more basic balancer, e.g. Saracen essential balancer or the L Mix if that is suiting him? My YO feeds 365 to her own horses but is thinking of switching to 'Head to Hoof' (think that's what it called) - does anyone have any experience with either of those? It's a minefield as there are so many on the market!!

Thanks in advance, Tash x

Griffin

Visit site
I have mine on Spillers Lite and Lean and she has done very well on it (we have tried a few and we always end up back on Spillers). I think that Spillers Supple and Senior balancer has got probiotics and joint care in it, so that may be worth a try.

Personally, I would probably feed a general balancer and then add probiotics/joint supplements as you need them.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I feed Thunderbrooks Daily Essentials as my general balancer (I believe it has pre-biotics in it, but don't quote me) and then add herbs for joint health.

little_critter

Visit site
I use GWF Equilibra 500. Tried a few others but always come back to the Equilibra and regularly get complements on their shiny coats (certainly isn’t down to grooming!)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine are on Gain Opticare which is pretty cost effective and they look well on it.
I am very skeptical of joint supplements full stop and I'd be thoroughly unconvinced by a joint balancer tbh ;)

Scarlett

Visit site
I have mine on Spillers Lite and Lean and she has done very well on it (we have tried a few and we always end up back on Spillers). I think that Spillers Supple and Senior balancer has got probiotics and joint care in it, so that may be worth a try.

Personally, I would probably feed a general balancer and then add probiotics/joint supplements as you need them.
I've been using Lite and Lean for a year or more now and have been very happy with it. Use it on a couple of TB's, a TBx and a cob, all of whom are barefoot. They are all looking well on it and I've no complaints over their hoof quality.