Best bit to start a horse in

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Just curious to know what you feel the best bit is to start a youngster with. I'm about to start backing mine and as there are so many makes/types of bits I would like to know what you have found works well? She's TBxWB with a small mouth (not fleshy lips or big tongue). Had her wolf teeth removed a few months ago. In the past I've used either a plain eggbutt snaffle or a straight happy mouth but there is so much more out there nowadays.

TheMule

Visit site
I like to use a full cheek Myler French link- the link is not too bulky and it's a lovely mild bit that I've found horses take very well too. I would absolutely never use a happy mouth as I think they're anything but, but would use a soft rubber snaffle if something had a very sensitive mouth

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
agree about happy mouths, TM.
I haven't had a proper unmouthed baby for a while but all my restarting projects have just gone into whatever fits from the bit box really - current one has a loose ring KK ultra, previously I've used full cheeks and french links as well. tbh unless the horse has a problem mouth or is very very sensitive I think it's less important than it may become later on, provided it's essentially comfortable.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Always full cheek. I start with a lozenge but my four year old won't tolerate anything metal or jointed in his mouth and insists the only suitable bit is a Korsteel flexi straight bar (just like a Happy Mouth). At least he's cheap to keep and hated the £115 bomber I tried, among many others.

palo1

Visit site
As others - never a happy mouth: they can be nasty things!! Usually we start with a french link fulmer snaffle: gentle, helps with steering and is simple. The current youngster started in a cambridge 'magic' bit (eggbut cheeks with a ported straight bar) just because the FL fulmer of the right size was in use by a friend at the time so I was just 'playing' with the idea of a bit and bridle at that point. She liked it for a week or so and then didn't. At that point everything was being done in hand with her just wearing a bridle: it was not in 'active' use at that point. I then tried a bit I had very much hoped to sell - a Myler low port comfort snaffle which I had bought for my older horse only to find that after the trial period he really didn't get on with it. So far she is really happy with it: opens her mouth to take the bit and seems completely relaxed and comfortable with it. She has been happy with this in hand, long reined and now under saddle which I am pleased with.

You need to have a look at the horse's mouth conformation and have a little think about what is likely to work and be comfortable for the initial work. Refinement can come later. I always allow a young horse to have a say as it were on the matter of the bit as it is so important for them to be relaxed and comfortable. I have found, almost without fail that youngsters feel more relaxed with a more jointed mouthpiece but quite secure cheek pieces but of course there are always exceptions!

maya2008

Visit site
French link, with full cheeks or loose ring. My gelding preferred full cheeks, filly preferred loose ring. Sweet iron/copper taste nicer so are more readily accepted than stainless steel. Happy mouth just gets chewed and goes sharp.

ihatework

Visit site
In the very early bitting days I tend to start with a D or Eggbutt ring, I’m just a bit paranoid about full cheeks getting accidentally caught up on something when the horse has no clue about the bit. Mouthpiece wise I opt for mid thickness, slightly curved with a lozenge or link.

As the horse does more you then get a better idea about how to adapt. When they start properly riding away if the D isn’t suiting I’m then happy to pop them in a full cheek. I tend to avoid loose rings for the first few months unless a fixed ring really isn’t working

Marigold4

Visit site
Fulmer mouthing bit with keys/players for initial groundwork and long-reining. They enjoy fiddling with the keys and so it provides a pleasing distraction for them. Also encourages salivation. French link version of this minus keys once proper backing starts.

Marigold4

Visit site
Mou
I personally avoid anything that encourages a horse to mouth or play. I want them quiet in the mouth in the initial stages.
I tend to go for a loose ring snaffle, French link or even single jointed. I then move them into a fixed ring.
Mouthing and playing with the bit is a GOOD thing in the early stages!

milliepops

Visit site
Personally I find it makes for fussy and mouthy horses in the future. Each to their own.
yeah I'd agree with you scats.
Being comfortable and happy to move the bit in their mouth is a good thing I think (I still give one of my established horses a sugar lump on bridling to get her to chew the bit gently) but playing and faffing wouldn't be terribly conducive to a steady contact.

Marigold4

Visit site
Doesn't lead to faffing though, it leads to a relaxed jaw. Used this bit for groundwork on 3 and none are fussy in the mouth, all keep a steady contact and I've not ever had to use a flash noseband or similar. Old fashioned it may be, but I think in many ways previous generations were excellent horsemen who knew the value of time and patience.

Marigold4

Visit site
yeah I'd agree with you scats.
Being comfortable and happy to move the bit in their mouth is a good thing I think (I still give one of my established horses a sugar lump on bridling to get her to chew the bit gently) but playing and faffing wouldn't be terribly conducive to a steady contact.

Mind you, mouthing and bitting are two slightly different stages, so perhaps I'm off the point here, as OP wants maybe to know which bit to start riding in

ycbm

Visit site
I've never started a horse in a Happy Mouth before, but as I've explained my current four year old will not settle in anything else.

Can people explain what issues they've had with Happy Mouth bits and which type?

Thanks.

milliepops

Visit site
The bobbly mouthpieces aren't terribly horse friendly imo, aside from not being bd legal I have also found they get quite sharp if a horse chews them in a way other rubbery mouthpieces don't.
They also seem quite thick but appreciate that some horses may like that.

ycbm

Visit site
The Korsteel version has two sides, one bobbly one smooth, but I can't really see the difference between some gentle bobbles in plastic and the joints in a double jointed metal snaffle?

I agree with the chewing, mine is on his second now after chewing sharp edges into the first.

milliepops

Visit site
I personally think the HM bobbles are more prominent esp given the thickness of the mouthpiece in general.
I most commonly end up with a kk ultra which doesn't really have a big bump over the joints (and the link is quite small which seems to keep any bumps off the bars)
Different strokes & all that :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Um, depends. I used to always start horses in a bit with keys because it's what I had originally been taught and it never really occurred to me to do anything different. But gradually I ended up using variations on a French link instead. Of my current horses - my now 10yo I backed in a French link eggbutt, which he is still in now, my 5yo I backed in a copper lozenge hanging cheek, and she's now in an NS turtle top hanging cheek, and my 4yo who is still very much 'in progress' I initially backed in a flexible rubber loose ring, but have now switched to a French link eggbutt for her too.

It can be as much about the rider as the horse as well I find. My hands are best with a French link at the end of them, and I think I'm less good at educating baby mouths with a straight bar type affair in there.