Best diets? Carb free/Slimming World/Calorie Counting

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Successful dieting is all about managing appetite. Willpower can only get you so far and resisting urges to eat is incredibly difficult. There have been multiple studies on low fat, high carb lifestyle change diets. Tens of thousands of people have gone through clinical trials based on those diets and they dont work. On a case by case basis they may for the occasional individual but in general they dont. The rise in obesity in the USA and UK coincides with the adoption by the health departments of low fat/high carb diets. There is not as much research on low carb but what there is suggests that carbs stimulate appetite while fat and protein satisfy it. So those diets are much easier to stick to. So they work better.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Slimmingworld provides you with that knowledge and once you reach your target weight (set by you not the consultant) then you get free membership for life if you stay within +/-3lbs of that target. I kept my weight off for 6years without attending a single meeting after reaching my target, then I went through hell and comfort food was one of the few things that kept me going. I'm now back on slimming world and loosing 4lb a week on average. Should be back at target within 6 months (i'm expecting the weight loss to slow down towards the end) and then won't need to go back though probably will as some of the recipes you pick up from group are excellent and it is nice to help others with thier weight loss.
One lady in our group has lost 6 stone in 6 months! she has another 5 Stone to go but my god she looks good for it.

It's interesting you say that, no-one I have spoken to about Slimming World has an understanding really of why foods are pointed as they are.. but I suppose that's why it it successful for some people like yourself, who has clearly taken the time to understand, and for some people it is not.

I became doubly suspicious of it when they removed Muller Lights from their 'syn free' foods list, because they had come out with their own brand yogurts which would be in direct competition, and of course took Muller's spot on the syn free list. It's disingenuous I think, to try to manipulate their customers in such a way.

ihatework

Visit site
Im the queen of fad dieting, yo-yo ing and generally failing spectacularly.

Ive reaches a point where I’m obese, feel like shit and have the beginnings of early health warnings.

So I have given myself a stern bollocking, had some CBT and recently started what may turn out to be yet another fad diet (time will tell).

Anyway I’m doing Keto/very low carb.
Seriously getting off carbs/sugar was like crack withdrawal and the willpower needed was intense, but actually only lasted around a week.
I’m now 2 weeks in and I can’t believe the difference I feel in myself, it’s quite incredible. My brain fog/lethargy/concentration issues are lifting dramatically, energy levels rising. I had all sorts of niggly joint pain and soft tissue pain which in the last couple of day’s has noticeably reduced. No more bloating either. Less hungry and regulating food better. Much more thirsty, I never used to drink much at all but I am now.

Please let me keep this up!!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I lost 2.5st for my wedding last August through Slimming World. It really does work. 6 months on and I've kept it off (ignoring a small blip over Christmas) but I still attend SW groups regularly xx

conniegirl

Visit site
It's interesting you say that, no-one I have spoken to about Slimming World has an understanding really of why foods are pointed as they are.. but I suppose that's why it it successful for some people like yourself, who has clearly taken the time to understand, and for some people it is not.

I became doubly suspicious of it when they removed Muller Lights from their 'syn free' foods list, because they had come out with their own brand yogurts which would be in direct competition, and of course took Muller's spot on the syn free list. It's disingenuous I think, to try to manipulate their customers in such a way.

only certain muller lights were syn free in the first place not all of them and manufacturers do change recipies all the time, the calorie content of muller lights did increase at around the same time.
SW now had a range of ready meals in Iceland but the realy nice thing is that on the pack of the ready meal is the recipe so you can make it at home.

the syn values of food is a function of calories vs "filling you up" there is a calculation somewhere so you can calculate your own syn values but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

conniegirl

Visit site
Also anyone doing the Slimming world diet I highly reccomend the Pinch of Nom books! excellent and whilst they don't give syn values as they are not "SW" books the syns are easy to work out and generally very low.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Also I highly recommend pinchofnom.com
The recipes are all diet friendly and I've discovered some really tasty dishes on there. They will also give you the calorie content and if you are following weight watchers they will also give you the points value of the recipe (they did give you the slimming world syn values until SW spat their dummy into orbit ? I just check the ingredients against the SW app now ?)

Orangehorse

Visit site
ANY diet will work, if you stick to it. All diets reduce your calories, but it is what suits your lifestyle. Best thing is to keep it simple and stick to food that you like to eat.

I lost quite a lot of weight by sticking to low carb for a while and then kept it off by eating three meals a day, no snacks in between meals, eat no puddings, have a piece of fruit instead, and don't eat anything after supper, so around 7.00 p.m. That kept my weight steady.
Of course there was the occasional treat/cake/pud/meal out. I seldom drink alcohol, so that isn't a temptation in the evenings and I don't buy things like crisps.

I have fallen off the waggon a bit over Christmas, so will get strict again.

peanut

Visit site
I think different diets work for different people - it has to fit with your lifestyle and food tastes.

I do the 8 hour diet and find it really easy. I can eat anything during those 8 hours and nothing but fluid for 16 hours. I lost a stone in 2 months.

OP, I think it's hard to lose weight whilst still drinking alcohol - it's an appetite stimulant, high in empty calories, and personally I find it completely destroys my resolve!

conniegirl

Visit site
I think different diets work for different people - it has to fit with your lifestyle and food tastes.

I do the 8 hour diet and find it really easy. I can eat anything during those 8 hours and nothing but fluid for 16 hours. I lost a stone in 2 months.

OP, I think it's hard to lose weight whilst still drinking alcohol - it's an appetite stimulant, high in empty calories, and personally I find it completely destroys my resolve!

I agree, I could not do your diet, I do not have the will power to not eat for 16 hours and during the 8 hours I suspect there would be a rather large amount of cheesecake involved.

Follysmum

Visit site
I found slimming world great at first and lost 3 stone pretty easy. Then I found the foods a bit boring and the same so I then I swapped and started counting calories.
Nothing is then off limits I just make sure I choose more carefully.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was at a meeting earlier this week, where my employer's occupational health provider was detailing the services that they can provide for employees. One of them is a weight loss programme which follows most closely to a diabetic type diet. There was a HR Officer extolling its virtues, as she had lost almost 2st on the pilot programme last year. There seems to be a disconnect between what up-to-date research shows is a healthy eating plan and what Public Health are still recommending which is a plate with more carbs than anything else. Common sense says that won't work for weight loss, without feeling extremely hungry and so giving up. IME carbs make you feel more hungry, rather than less.

Annagain

Visit site
I've lost weight with weight watchers twice before, a long time ago. I liked WW as I need the discipline of knowing someone will 'check up' on me to make me do it and found it fairly easy but I was 23 and 29 when I did it. I lost nearly 3 stone the first time and 2 stone the 2nd. Keeping it off is my problem. I don't know if it's age or some medication I'm on but it doesn't seem to work for me any more. I lose a fair amount in the first week and then it just stops and after about 6 weeks I lose heart and give up. I tried Slimming World a good few years ago and it didn't seem to work for me - I think when they tell you you can eat as much of certain things as you want , they don't account for someone who can eat as much as I can! I ate a whole chicken as a 'snack' when I did it. I'm going to give it another go though as I'm the heaviest I've ever been now and could do with losing 4 stone really. I'd be happy with 2 though! I'm not sure a low carb diet would do much for me as I don't eat a huge amount of carbs now anyway, a sandwich once or twice a week when I haven't got anything to take for lunch and chips if I go out for a meal is about it as I've cooked courgetti, butternut squash noodles and cauliflower rice instead of rice and pasta for two or three years now. I even make lasagne with aubergine instead of lasagne sheets. It's volume with me and I find it really hard to cut down without being starving.

conniegirl

Visit site
I've lost weight with weight watchers twice before, a long time ago. I liked WW as I need the discipline of knowing someone will 'check up' on me to make me do it and found it fairly easy but I was 23 and 29 when I did it. I lost nearly 3 stone the first time and 2 stone the 2nd. Keeping it off is my problem. I don't know if it's age or some medication I'm on but it doesn't seem to work for me any more. I lose a fair amount in the first week and then it just stops and after about 6 weeks I lose heart and give up. I tried Slimming World a good few years ago and it didn't seem to work for me - I think when they tell you you can eat as much of certain things as you want , they don't account for someone who can eat as much as I can! I ate a whole chicken as a 'snack' when I did it. I'm going to give it another go though as I'm the heaviest I've ever been now and could do with losing 4 stone really. I'd be happy with 2 though! I'm not sure a low carb diet would do much for me as I don't eat a huge amount of carbs now anyway, a sandwich once or twice a week when I haven't got anything to take for lunch and chips if I go out for a meal is about it as I've cooked courgetti, butternut squash noodles and cauliflower rice instead of rice and pasta for two or three years now. I even make lasagne with aubergine instead of lasagne sheets. It's volume with me and I find it really hard to cut down without being starving.

see thats the part that really works for me! Ive eaten 12 oranges this morning as a snack, that is fairly normal for me but i average 4lb per week off

honetpot

Visit site
Slimming world all the way. It’s a lifestyle choice and it’s about how you cook/prepare your foods as opposed to not eating certain things. I started 2 weeks ago and have lost 6lb already. You can essentially eat whatever you want on slimming world just in moderation, that’s why it’s a sustainable way to loose weight as it’s not depriving you of anything
I am wary of SW and WW, they are brand out to make money and the few things I have tried in the past overly sweet and expensive.
As I knew because I have calorie counted before, that I should not have been over weight but was, I looked at different diets and found low carb, which is one of the few which not only as a side effect makes you lose weight but for people like me with diabetes helps control blood sugars. I think the calories in calories out thing is fast being questioned as being not remotely true.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/zoe-harcombe-calories-energy-balance/

Last edited:

Nevin's Run

Visit site
Another vote for low carb/sugar here. I also find it really regulates my mood and energy levels. Aside from day 2 after a relapse when I'm a petulant, argumentative mess! But once I'm back in the swing then I get over it :)

Unfortunately I have little willpower and as with most things, there is a plateau - that's usually my undoing, when I'm not seeing any progress - and I fall off the wagon and into a big pile of sandwiches :rolleyes:

Evie91

Visit site
Also just to add I only did slimming world for three months to reach my target, then pretty much forgot about the plan. That was in 2018 and now starting again - well on Monday! It would have been successful if I’d stuck to it.

cauda equina

Visit site
I lost about 1.5st doing SW's method; didn't join a group, just read up about it online and bought a couple of their recipe books from Amazon
I found it really easy and was never hungry

Reactions: TPO

Leo Walker

Visit site
I am wary of SW and WW, they are brand out to make money and the few things I have tried in the past overly sweet and expensive.
As I knew because I have calorie counted before, that I should not have been over weight but was, I looked at different diets and found low carb, which is one of the few which not only as a side effect makes you lose weight but for people like me with diabetes helps control blood sugars. I think the calories in calories out thing is fast being questioned as being not remotely true.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/zoe-harcombe-calories-energy-balance/

I thought slimming world had different options and one of them was low carb? If it doesnt I wont bother as high carb diets just do not work for me and mess with my blood sugar control.

SpottyMare

Visit site
1:1 Diet (used to be cambridge weight plan) - it's not for everyone, but I felt surprisingly healthy on it and lost 5 stone (4st of that loss had initially been put on due to a medication induced rapid weight gain and had put me into serious risk category so needed an equally rapid reduction). It's also quick, easy and you don't have to think. Contrary to popular belief, they do support you back into the transition to 'normal' eating too.

Otherwise, it's low carb all the way - fats and protein fill you up, and you don't eat as much. I can eat my own bodyweight in carbs - moderation just doesn't work for me there! But it does for some people.

Essentially, you need to find the one that works for you, your lifestyle and preferences otherwise it becomes much more difficult to stick to.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Im another life long yoyo dieter.
Sw and ww both worked short term for me but i wasnt really that inspired by the class leaders of both groups who were both overweight.(both been class leaders for years)
About 3 years ago both myself and oh gave up smoking..from there he decided to get fitter..he inspired me to overhaul my own lifestyle and now between us we have lost 9 stone.
Its been done gradually over i would say the last 2 years..with the help of the myfitness app and joining a gymn. We also took up mountain biking.
The good thing about horses is that there is a lot of things you can do to burn up calories..i put weight on when i moved on from horses...so now i compensate by using the gymn.
A combination of sensible diet and plenty of exercise works for me!

yhanni

Visit site
Im the queen of fad dieting, yo-yo ing and generally failing spectacularly.

Ive reaches a point where I’m obese, feel like shit and have the beginnings of early health warnings.

So I have given myself a stern bollocking, had some CBT and recently started what may turn out to be yet another fad diet (time will tell).

Anyway I’m doing Keto/very low carb.
Seriously getting off carbs/sugar was like crack withdrawal and the willpower needed was intense, but actually only lasted around a week.
I’m now 2 weeks in and I can’t believe the difference I feel in myself, it’s quite incredible. My brain fog/lethargy/concentration issues are lifting dramatically, energy levels rising. I had all sorts of niggly joint pain and soft tissue pain which in the last couple of day’s has noticeably reduced. No more bloating either. Less hungry and regulating food better. Much more thirsty, I never used to drink much at all but I am now.

Please let me keep this up!!
Have you found DietDoctor? Lots of good recipes on there & inspirational life stories. Also a huge Mumsnet thread ... or several to be exact plus some amazing recipes.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My mum has had great success with SW. She doesn't buy any of their 'branded' stuff, largely home cooks everything which definitely helps- you don't need to buy into their stuff to follow the method, and it definitely works! It's particularly useful for eating out and helping you work out the 'best' option, and how to fit it into your overall diet plan. I've never done it myself (am v. thankful that my current diet of junk is yet to catch up with me, but I suspect my time will come...) but has definitely worked for her.