Best ever horse related film?

fburton

Visit site
Try 'Of Horses and Men'. The film is a series of episodes set in Iceland in which people interact with horses, with generally unusual and often highly comical outcomes. The horses come across as far more generous, dignified and sane than the humans. It was made by group of horse-loving Icelandic film-makers and got rave reviews, but not much publicity in the UK. For me, it's up there with Seabiscuit and Champions.

The film came out last year and Amazon have the DVD. You need a grown-up sense of humour to enjoy it, and it's probably not suitable for children.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It looks intriguing if a little weird. I will definitely give it a go!

Honeylight

Visit site
Forgot to add Champions, loved it.

I have asked this on another forum and no one responded.
Does anyone remember this French language film that was shown on a Saturday night on BBC2 in the mid 1970s? It was screened the same night and time when Harvey Smith was attempting to break the high jump record at Olympia. This was in the pre-video/DVD era, so I missed a chunk of the film. It was about an elderly French Cavalry Officer and his dressage trained horse. In the end he kills himself and the horse by riding it off the end of a viaduct (I think). It was a beautifully made film but I only saw the beginning and the end, due to the shameful scheduling to coincide with an important showjumping event.
I would love to find out what it was called to try and see it all, maybe it's on Youtube, but I have no idea what it was called. I realise I am showing my age here!
The original My Friend Flicka is quite good and Smoky too, which I caught on afternoon Film 4 once. It also has some well known (but not to me) country and western singer singing songs around the campfire.
Sea Biscuit and Phar Lap are both pretty good attempts and Champions is a good watch.
One of the worst ones was an adaptation of Dick Francis's Dead Cert, starring Judy Dench and the three day eventer Cornishman V, talk about wooden and missed opportunity!

foraday

Visit site
Oh dear!

Like everyone lots of kleenex!!!

Black Beauty in the 1970's scarred me as it was as a toddler!

Phar Lap with lots of tissues!

Seabiscuit is awesome

Racing Stripes is a bit of both!!!!

Anything with a horse or dog gets me!

The Duke (disney film with Hubert the dobie type dog) had me in absolute blubs for the first half an hour especially the music as well and the fact it was Scotties (James Doohans) last ever film

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
"Escape from the Dark"

Ahh, I think that must be the film I vaguely recall from the 1970's, it was shown alongside the main feature which may have been Freaky Friday or One of our Dinosaurs is missing...;P

OT but One of our Dinosaurs is a film I can watch again and again . Peter Ustinov was brilliant!

I thought I had posted already but think my signal went .... definitely The Black Stallion and International Velvet. IV has me in tears from the beginning.