Best ever horse related film?

Capriole

Visit site
Can't think of many really decent ones (can think of a few naff ones) off the top of my head, but one that I do like is international velvet. Yeah, it's not aged terribly well and looks quite dated, but it maintains it's awesomeness.

(Prepares to ooooh and ahhhhh over films I have forgotten which people following me will mention)

Kitei

Visit site
I try not to watch horsey related films.....they all make me cry!

I do really like to cry at Hildago though.

Gosh, watched Hildago the other night for the first time. Loved it, but does make me mopey. :( Seems to be the fashion with horse-films so I've been avoiding them!

Still, big fan of Hildago and War Horse, though I preferred the book version of the latter, really.

Capriole

Visit site
Ooooh didn't fancy War Horse! I read some of the book and thought it was a steaming pile of crap pardonmyfrench and didn't read it to the end. My OH suggested that we go to the cinema to see it when it was on but I declined ;)

Does anyone remember one called 'Sylvester'? About a blind grey horse that kicked butt at dressage? I think it was pretty cheesy and bad but had a few Disney-moments.

Illusion100

Visit site
Gosh, watched Hildago the other night for the first time. Loved it, but does make me mopey. :( Seems to be the fashion with horse-films so I've been avoiding them!

Still, big fan of Hildago and War Horse, though I preferred the book version of the latter, really.

I get very emotional over most animal films, don't get me started on Hachi: a dogs tale...... fine, fine I admit it, I even cried watching King Kong tonight.

Am going to put my big girl pants on soon and watch Phar Lap.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
When I was little, i loved 'The Black Stallion' and I still have a soft spot for it. I also went through a western phase while recovering from an operation a few years ago and found one called 'Eagle's Wing' that I enjoyed. I really ought to watch it again incase the pain medication affected my judgement!

There's also - The Electric Horseman, King of the Wind, Champions, various versions of Black Beauty, The Man from Snowy River etc...

Illusion100

Visit site
When I was little, i loved 'The Black Stallion' and I still have a soft spot for it. I also went through a western phase while recovering from an operation a few years ago and found one called 'Eagle's Wing' that I enjoyed. I really ought to watch it again incase the pain medication affected my judgement!

There's also - The Electric Horseman, King of the Wind, Champions, various versions of Black Beauty, The Man from Snowy River etc...

Yeah, I loved the Black Stallion too when I was wee! Still do if I have to admit it , it pleases my inner child.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
The Man fron Snowy River was always my fav......once you get over how daft he is at the start. Also the Black Stallion.
I never liked Black Beauty films because I liked the book tomuch.

I was totally scarred by Lassie Come Home (the real version in Scotland)

fburton

Visit site
Somewhat less sentimental than the majority of horse films out there is The Colt (2005) set in the American Civil War. I thought that was pretty good.

And then there is Equus (1977) starring Richard Burton and Peter Firth. Not your typical heartwarming horsey movie though - it is pretty harrowing in fact. (I remember being stunned to silence after the final monologue, when I watched it in the year it came out.) :frown3:

Nothing fatally wrong with sentimentality, of course - some of my best friends are sentimental. :tongue3: I do think War Horse (2011) was a missed opportunity though. The Guardian review of the movie echoes my feelings exactly. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/jan/12/war-horse-spielberg-film-review

To be honest, I can't think of any really great horse (or horse-related) movies at the moment.

Sorry to be so negative on a Monday morning... :redface3:

RockinRudolph

Visit site
Black beauty when I was a child scarred me for life so I avoid them .

Same! I can't watch any part of Black Beauty without crying - even the nicer bits.

War Horse the book made me cry loads but the film was a let down. Haven't seen any of the other films mentioned - I'm sure Seabiscuit is recorded on the sky box but haven't got round to watching it yet.

Aeolian

Visit site
Try 'Of Horses and Men'. The film is a series of episodes set in Iceland in which people interact with horses, with generally unusual and often highly comical outcomes. The horses come across as far more generous, dignified and sane than the humans. It was made by group of horse-loving Icelandic film-makers and got rave reviews, but not much publicity in the UK. For me, it's up there with Seabiscuit and Champions.

The film came out last year and Amazon have the DVD. You need a grown-up sense of humour to enjoy it, and it's probably not suitable for children.