Best falls- off horse

ibot

Visit site
So you know when you hear a story and you think duh!! what!!

So here is mine, Friday was riding round the woods with friend and pup and we were ducking under branches and a tree branch got caught in my jacket and then i was on the ground winded and in pain (after hospital visit found have bruised some internal organs) so was thinking please tell me im not alone being a muppet tell me your stories so whilst i am getting better at home i can smile

Nicky all bruised and being forced to rest :eek::eek:

Parachute

Visit site
The best one - Did a jumping class at a local show, was riding a pony I rode for the local stables, wasn't much of a jumper. Cantered towards a jump. Pony stopped, head down, I leaned forward he shot his head up, hit my face, knocked me out, woke up to find pony looking at me. Got on and did the course, dizzy and upset. Won 3rd. Went to hospital after with a suspected broken jaw.

Oh fun. :D

kppony

Visit site
Very early on when learning to ride.

Was attempting my first canter and somehow managed to end up hanging upside down on under the horses neck! Very lovely horse just gently slowed to a stop and I slid to the ground and the horse just looked at me like I was insane!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I was having a VERY bad day this day,
had a show so rushed out without eating anything as I woke up late.
Arrived at show with trailer to find id got the wrong day- and it was dog classes. :eek: oops..
So I ring up my friend who showjumps to ask where she is and if there are any unaffiliated classes, she says yes and as we are all ready head off to this venue for the 'warm up unaffiliated classes' that were about 2'6 - 3'0

Cue me looking like an idiot jumping round the warm up fences on my little buckskin pony with a trace clip amongst a load of 17hh posh show jumpers :D

I am then mid air over a fence when I just pass out- (regret not eating anything now ! ) and flop over her neck and land on my head.
I came round with very blurred vision- and couldn't move my arms or legs :( I was terrified :( My first conscious thought was '***** i'm paralysed.. now how will I go in my class?' wasn't thinking too clearly ;) .

Got away with concussion and a very dented confidence :rolleyes:

Mariposa

Visit site
Working as a groom in NZ I was riding a set of three, riding one pony and leading two others. The two ponies I was leading decided to stop dead and literally pulled me off the back. I landed flat on my back, still holding both ropes, completely winded, and the pony I was riding just kept on going! Took me a good ten minutes before I could get up and go and catch her....

flump

Visit site
Cantering round one handed on a horse from dealers i used to work at, hat not done up trainers on striped socks over my jods (trying to be cool) telling clients 'she is bombproof, you could put a novice on her and shed not do a thing, cantered into the jump still chatting away and the little madam slammed in the anchors and boom I went flying over her neck and over the jump. Clients were horrified and left I was horrified and cried lol!

Also fell off dealing horse at another viewing. We were told he was broken in..so he'd come from Ireland the day before and we had people up to look at another who wasn't suitable so thought we would show them 'sprite' well he wasn't broken i don't think! He bucked and reared and bronced untill I fell off then kicked me in the ribs for good measure!! He went on to be a star but I let someone else ride him!!

Also someone coming to view a 13.2 cob and everytime I asked for canter she bucked, I then lost balance and ended up on her neck where she stopped dead and I slid down onto my bum! Kids viewing with RI found it hilarious and even more so when they were cantering her round on each rein without a problem!

Hexx

Visit site
At the riding school, many years ago, bearing in mind I was in one of the "top groups", so supposed to be an experienced rider, with many years under the saddle. Trotting to the back of the ride with no stirrups after practicing half pass, or something similar - horse drops his shoulder as I come down to walk and I fell off!! Cue hysterical laughter from the rest of the group!

One of the most spectacular was when riding a 17.1, 4-year-old ISH who had just had a week off over Christmas. He went past the mounting block 4 times, which, for some unknown reason, had a rug on it, however, on the 5th time past the rug obviously turned into a horse-eating monster. He spooked and bucked once, I stayed on, he bucked again, I stayed on, third buck was enormous - he also put in a little twist, I went flying off, turned a somersault in the air and hit the deck. Laid there for a minute, then there was this huff of air and a soft nose pressed against my cheek - bless him, he's never had anyone fall off him before and he looked most confused! I got many complimentary comments about the double somersault!!

ibot

Visit site
The best one - Did a jumping class at a local show, was riding a pony I rode for the local stables, wasn't much of a jumper. Cantered towards a jump. Pony stopped, head down, I leaned forward he shot his head up, hit my face, knocked me out, woke up to find pony looking at me. Got on and did the course, dizzy and upset. Won 3rd. Went to hospital after with a suspected broken jaw.

Oh fun. :D

was it wrong that i LOL :D:D
loving the stories

Polos Mum

Visit site
Cantering through some lovely woodland on a sunny day not 100% paying attention, round corner and ahead was cyclist in full high vis. Pony stopped dead, I did not. Landed on my feet reins in hand, said 'good morning' to cyclist and walked on as if I'd done it on purpose !!!
Can't imagine what he told his friends when he got home about the stunt rider he met in the woods that day!!

blood_magik

Visit site
riding my dad's horse while he an my mum were in dubai.
joined the last jumping lesson of the day at 7pm. Jumped about four tiny straight bars around 80cm and the ****** died on me going in so I smacked him on the shoulder, expecting him to
drop his shoulder because that's what he usually does. the big dope starts bronking and heading for the wall. thinking I'm going to end up hitting it, I jump off and land on my feet.

my old yard owner had to straighten my leg and put my knee back into place, and then ended up having to drive his car into the arena to take me to a&e because the ambulance we phoned for hadn't turned up after two and a half hours.

Another one - My dad couldn't ride because his business partner was over from the UK so I took his lesson instead. horse decided to be a gentleman and let me go first over a tiny tiny x-pole. I flipped over his head and whacked my arm off the jump pole. My dad had to drive his car into the arena and poor old Dave had to sit in the back with me and hold my wrist up while I held my dislocated elbow up :eek:

SillyMare

Visit site
Mine is actually a worst 'survival' - Hutton BE a couple of years ago and there was a tiny little stream to cross (not even flagged as an obstacle). My very experienced, seasoned mare who was doing the BE Novice class at the time was pulling my arms out! Crested the hillock at 100 miles an hour, suddenly saw the stream and thought better of it!

Mare jammed breaks on and I flew up her neck managing to stick on by wrapping myself around her ears with my left hand under her chin. Only problem was that in my right hand I had the headpiece of her bridle that I had lifted neatly off. Oops.

Hippona

Visit site
Previous horse was master of the canter-to-dead- stop- and- fling- yourself-sideways-movement....I regularly did some spectacular dismounts out the side door.... Friend used to mark me out of 10 for style and grace.

Most pathetic fall.....I had just started hacking my very green arab out and all was going well. One day we traversed a motorway footbridge, passed farm machinery and a small paddock of assorted goats with bells round neck and geese. Smugly going along a woodland path and someone had dumped an old sack....almost past it and horse did a spook- little one, but I didn't expect it and just fell off and landed on my ass. Luckily there was no-one around:eek:

Daytona

Visit site
Funniest one was at a 3 day event in the steeple chase stage, coming up to a big brush fence at a fast pace as the last second my mare decided to slam the brakes on, i went over her head and got wedged upside down in the middle of the fence, all you could see was my legs sticking out, the marshalls had to pull me out

Hilarious, had a huge egg on my head. The pro photo guy was taking pics right up till i went into the fence, they great but have a water mark on them so i cant post them, he said he stopped stooting incase i was hurt, my family and friends were watching are were rolling about the floor in tears at the sight of me :D

Caught the mare and jumped back on and finished the track then went off to do the roads ands tracks, me her and my large egg LOL

Holly_09

Visit site
I fell off mounting! I was half up in the saddle, my hands and foot slipped and I ended up flat on my back. Pony was really confused!

Elbie

Visit site
OP - I had a similar one to you!

Worst fall yet injury wise and in the leat impressive circumstances.

Riding through woods, Path got narrower and narrower. Eventually, tree branches got caught on my leg. Horse kept moving but I stayed where I was! Got dragged off the horse but I kept hold of the reins as we were in woodland and I guessed under his own terms her would b***** off home. Horse felt me on the floor and reins "caught" so panicked and reversed backwards...over my legs. Once he'd trampled me he managed to pull me up!

Luckily managed to escape with knee swollen twice the size, other leg hoof print bruise on the thigh and skin gone from whole of right shoulder from being dragged down a gravel hill when he reversed!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
20 odd years ago jumped a sj round, leaving the ring in WALK fell off and broke my ankle :eek:

Not falling off but long time ago - same horse probably, I was at a xc and the announcer was heard to say we have a horse out of control on the course - I was the only one on the course at the time (I don't remember being out of control :confused:)

For the few years I had him my dad always used to get pics with an ambulance in the back ground :eek: Thanks Dad !

A couple of weeks ago I got launched out the saddle at Addington and had to do the walk of shame out the arena :eek:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Right, let me compose myself as some of these are really funny and i have tears in my eyes!!! :))

Many years ago I was riding with my dear friend Marie. She was ahead of me on Red and I was behind on Star, we were bombing through some local woods. A tree branch went between Marie's Hi Viz and her jacket and lifed her from the saddle leaving her hung in midair. Red canters on for a couple of strides before she understands her rider is gone. She stops and checks over her shoulder looking for Marie. When she sees Marie hung in midair she sighs ,in a long suffering sort of way, turns around and comes back. Marie is still hung in midair and I am being really helpful because I simply can not stop laughing, I am bent over double in the saddle, screaming with tears falling down my face. At this point the branch gives out. snaps and Marie hits the dirt. My pony Star then jumps sidewards and bucks and I, helpless with laugher, hit the deck too.This makes Marie feel better! I did say sorry BUT it was really funny and over 20 years later we still laugh about it. Bless, both horses are now long gone.

Arniebear

Visit site
i was about 12 and had acquired a new pony :) took her xc schooling one day in snowy feb was having great fun warming up, mum said to just jump smalls ones first as she was new to me (she had done it all before thou!) que me playing in the water and getting a bit cocky thought id try the drop down into the water, pony thought this was great and flew down it numerous occasions! i was loving it mum said comon lets move on to something else. me being a 12 yr old wanted just one more go! so i did and fell right over her head into the water in the cold and the snow! i then stropped because mum wanted to take me home and i wanted to carry on playing with my new pony an hr later my fingers were turning blue so we headed home!!

another water related one! galloping around on the beach accidently and i mean accidently crashed into my mums horse she went flying into the sea - que camera man screaming yes on the home video! i got silent treatment for the rest of the day! ooooops!!! :D

fluffpuff

Visit site
I had my pony at the beach a few years ago and we were having a great time. I then decided to have one last gallop up the beach at the waters edge when he spooked and attempted to jump a piece of seaweed lost his balance as he was going so fast that we both ended up in the sea. :eek:
Resulted in one very soggy sandy grey pony who was huffing as he got water in his ear and one very wet cold rider!! :eek:

Mariposa

Visit site
20 odd years ago jumped a sj round, leaving the ring in WALK fell off and broke my ankle :eek:

I can relate! My only bone break ( touch wood) was equally humiliating!

I broke my wrist falling off my ancient old pony, who was all off 11hands high! I decided to ride the poor thing, jumped aboard ( I was about 15 at the point) and off we trotted. I decided to jump a sheep trough, which was about 5 inches high? She slammed on the brakes, I went up her neck, then she decided to jump it like it was 4ft and I flew off and landed like a sack of potatos, broke my wrist. Ah the shame...

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Mariposa - the worst part of it all was that they put an announcement over the tannoy to see if anyone with a car could take me to hospital as they didn't want the ambulance to leave the showground incase anyone else got injured !!!
Someone's mother put me in the back of their car, took me to Stoke Mandeville A&E and just left me there ! This was before mobile phones. I had to reverse the charges to ring my parents (phone number was 247 that's how long ago)
At least I didn't see Jimmy Saville there that day ;)

Spiritedly

Visit site
When I was younger I was hacking out with my brother....and horses....through the woods, I ducked for a branch sat up saw another and ducked again my brother ducked for the first came up slower and got the second across the chest which knocked him straight over his horses bum. I carried on oblivious for about 10 minutes before I realised he wasn't answering me and looked behind to see horse but no brother. :D. Probably my best one....non injury wise ;)....was a fall I had doing cross country, I laid there stunned with the medics panicking because I said everything was blurry then I remembered I wore glasses :rolleyes: When they were found everything became clear again. :eek:

Laura-Maybe-IV

Visit site
Ahh my best/worse fall has to be...

I was riding a horse that hasn't done much schooling work, she was going really lovely and nicely and I thought great we've cracked it! :D however..

I went to get off her and the b***** horse went balistic, started bucking and bronkin' doing her best rodeo impression. I had reins but no stirrups, stayed on her for a bit but then let go... apparently I flipped then landed sitting upright... I thought I had broken my back and hips as I had no feeling and pins and needles... :rolleyes:

Anyway turns out in the end I bruised my pelvis and lower back, and broke my arm in two places as well as my elbow and internal bleeding in my arm... my reply was I did it properly then... :D :rolleyes:

Orls

Visit site
Working as a groom in NZ I was riding a set of three, riding one pony and leading two others. The two ponies I was leading decided to stop dead and literally pulled me off the back. I landed flat on my back, still holding both ropes, completely winded, and the pony I was riding just kept on going! Took me a good ten minutes before I could get up and go and catch her....

This exact same thing happened to me while I worked at a polo yard! So embarrassing :D !!!

doriangrey

Visit site
Right, let me compose myself as some of these are really funny and i have tears in my eyes!!! :))

Many years ago I was riding with my dear friend Marie. She was ahead of me on Red and I was behind on Star, we were bombing through some local woods. A tree branch went between Marie's Hi Viz and her jacket and lifed her from the saddle leaving her hung in midair. Red canters on for a couple of strides before she understands her rider is gone. She stops and checks over her shoulder looking for Marie. When she sees Marie hung in midair she sighs ,in a long suffering sort of way, turns around and comes back. Marie is still hung in midair and I am being really helpful because I simply can not stop laughing, I am bent over double in the saddle, screaming with tears falling down my face. At this point the branch gives out. snaps and Marie hits the dirt. My pony Star then jumps sidewards and bucks and I, helpless with laugher, hit the deck too.This makes Marie feel better! I did say sorry BUT it was really funny and over 20 years later we still laugh about it. Bless, both horses are now long gone.

I did a spit take when I read this one :D Ok, mine is more embarrassing than spectacular. About 20 years ago now, went riding again after having a break due to kids/work. Went to a local riding centre with OH and had a great 2 hour hack on a lovely 16.3, arrived back at the centre feeling great and dismounted rather enthusiastically. My knees buckled and I slid under the horse who looked thoroughly embarrassed by it all. OH couldn't stop laughing (I must talk to him about this as I'm a clumsy git and he always laughs and points when I trip over nothing :mad:) Happy ending though because we bought the horse :)

Dippy Zippy

Visit site
My worse was riding in the school and the horse tanked off with me and wouldn't stop, went motoring around the corner, dropped his shoulder, i then fell off into the fence and fractured my back!! So had a lovely ambulance ride to the hospital, where i had to stay for a while as i couldn't walk and had to be drugged up on morphine :(

My funniest was falling off... whilst the horse was standing still :eek:! I had both my feet over the front of the saddle and my dad was doing up the girth. As the girth was tightened, my horse shoved his head down and i went rolling down his neck :rolleyes:! To make it worse it was the second time i had fallen off this way!!

tessybear

Visit site
My best fall , if you can call any fall 'best' :D Was on my friends very sluggish cob that was a pain to canter well i got him going flat out across a field pony club style legs to get him into it but we did it. Friend had her phone out shouting how proud of him she was, then the little **** slammed the brakes on, dropped his head and span well i came out the side door still in my riding position, landed on my arse still 'holding the reins' arms straight out infront of me it happened so quickly i didn't react. All on bloody camera, said pony then bucked and farted away going flat out :rolleyes:

wyrdsister

Visit site
Oh, some of these are great! One of my 'favourite' falls was during a long gently sloping downhill canter on the moors. Asked my pony, whose blondeness clearly goes all the way through his brain, to steady up, because we were coming to a bit that wasn't a nice going. Pony flings his head in the air with a full-on 'I know what I'm doing' attitude and goes hooves over head smack into a ditch. We both went splat . Pony gets up and looks at me wearing the most sheepish expression I've ever seen. He was remarkably sensible all the way home ;-)

The most recent, I wasn't even on a horse. I was leading my youngster in from the field with my other mare. Brat puppy (my own!) shot out behind them, startling the youngster. She shot forward, got her feet in a knot, trod on my bootlace and tripped us both into a giant puddle. She managed to catch herself before she landed on top of me and stopped, while I sat there getting wet knickers with the older mare looking on with the air of one who thought we were both rather foolish and it was only a dog. Said dog ran up very excited to lick my face, thinking it was a game. (She's not too bright, bless her!) :D