Best falls- off horse

ibot

Visit site
My worse was riding in the school and the horse tanked off with me and wouldn't stop, went motoring around the corner, dropped his shoulder, i then fell off into the fence and fractured my back!! So had a lovely ambulance ride to the hospital, where i had to stay for a while as i couldn't walk and had to be drugged up on morphine :(

My funniest was falling off... whilst the horse was standing still :eek:! I had both my feet over the front of the saddle and my dad was doing up the girth. As the girth was tightened, my horse shoved his head down and i went rolling down his neck :rolleyes:! To make it worse it was the second time i had fallen off this way!!

that takes me back to my fast fall off a horse when i was 3 he bent down to eat grass and i rolled over the top, he was not big and neither was i :D:D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Had my first knock-out 2 weeks ago. Still getting to grips with new horse, was warming up in a SJ lesson, came round to a spread and he ground to a halt and then span to the side where there was also a jump side on so all I remember is looking down thinking there was no space to land (in between horse and jump) and next thing I know I'm looking up at my instructor feeling rather out of it. Found bruises in very odd places after that (still dont know what I landed on or if horse trod on me) and am currently on wait list for physio as my shoulder is screwed!

I have fallen off on numerous things including the road (where a horse bolted with me through a gateway from a field and slipped over landing on me), a fence post and onto a barbed wire fence (quite a few stitches for that one and I still have the scars on my back!). Also fallen off hitting the side of my trailer at a show (think horse got stung, it did a massive bronc just as I got on). A horse I was backing last year took off suddenly, I came off the side and smacked straight into a jump block - wow, that was the most painful thing ever! My hip muscles were torn totally, I couldn't walk at all for days and the whole area is still permanently numb! I still have a dodgy tail bone after I had a saddle malfunction a few years ago when warming up for XC. I didn't even think I had fallen off much in my life but I'm quite surprised when I actually think about it, although this is over the past 25 years!

Last edited:

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Iv had too many :D
But usually doing silly things and i always bounce and laugh it off :rolleyes:

My friend had a pony who used to set her neck and bolt to the gate and was getting dangerous when she crashed through leaving her poor rider still on the gate! So i was asked to 'sort her out'. Got on and we were having a lovely ride, jumping everything and she was so willing and forward, then all of a sudden she set her neck and sped off towards the gate, nothing would stop her and i had her head at my knee trying to turn her and she was still galloping towards the gate full tilt. Im trying to shift her back end round to spin her while her head was still at my knee and she stopped dead. Flew straight over her head and landed facing her on my feet!! Dont know who was more surprised, me or the pony!! :eek: but at least she stopped lol, Got back on to have another go and she never did it again, never did it again with her owner either! rofl

Was doing ride and lead and fat cob decided to go and munch grass and whipped me straight off the back of my boy who stood there wondering where i had gone hehe

The funniest is when my stirrup fell off my saddle approaching a jump and i looked down like 'what the...??' as she took off... nearly got launched into space...:eek:

My best and proudest as i have pictures! :D was off an exracer who rodeod with me half way through a schooling session, totally caught me off guard. My friends were there watching and laughed there heads off, as i went to catch her as she stood waiting at the gate. Cheeky git lol

282457_10150256643407636_6602343_n.jpg

283560_10150256643622636_6477879_n.jpg

224518_10150256643722636_7974722_n.jpg

252067_10150256643862636_1785186_n.jpg

DipseyDeb

Visit site
In a nutshell.....Worst, and most easily preventable, fall to date......my poor unsuspecting baby horse (he was 4 at the time) spooked at something outside the school, leaped sideways and, as I hadn't tightened my girth up or wasn't concentrating, figiting about in the saddle, my saddle and I slipped to one side (literally sat on his side) he panicked and took off round the school, with me, unconscious, strapped to the side with my foot stuck in the stirrup! Air lifted to hospital (my first helicopter ride and I can't even remember it)

mashnut

Visit site
Some days I wonder if we are all mental.....
Best (stupidist) fall - Was working in RS, riding the bombproof Highland on a quiet day (me, other instructor and 2 kids, all riding at the same time to exercise ponies). We decided to do around the world, and I am the slowest ever and had mahooooosive knee rolls as well. I'm half way round and child's pony heads towards Highland, currently sitting side saddle-esque so why shouldn't I just get Highland to walk out of the way and stay where I am?
Because 3 steps later I lose my balance (what little I ever had), go to slide off, get caught on knee roll and land face first in the school.
I fell off a PONY. Even the nutty 16.2 ISH doesn't get me off.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
The funniest one I had was when my last horse was 19 - he was still in reasonable work and a local trainer let me use his gallops. So off I hacked up there, as I did quite a lot, and the gallops were quite narrow. There was a gate to them which was really heavy and you had to be on the ground to do it as it required lifting and pushing at the same time. So normally I got there, got off, opened gate, and then tried to get on him while he was rearing and spinning because he wanted to go. One day I got there, and the gate was open. So as nothing had ever happened before, I just rode on and didn't close the gate. About three quarters of the way round, I think a blade of grass moved and he dropped from underneath me and without any warning I was doing sand angels while he just galloped off. As I sat up I could see that he had already gone off the gallops, so I ran the final furlong on foot, and onto the road and no horse to be seen. I flagged down a passing immaculate, brand new Range Rover - never seen the people before, and climbed in the front passenger seat where I deposited about a bucketful of sand in the car from my clothes and helmet. We finally caught up with him heading towards home, just trotting along the left hand side of the road without a care in the world. I thanked the driver, jumped out and started running after him and after about another couple of hundred yards caught him and jumped back on. I never found out who the car driver was, but I always shut the gate on the gallops after that!

slumdog

Visit site
I have two, sort of, the first one was my first horse I got when I was about 13, a 15.2 ex racehorse (thanks mum and dad) she was completely mental and a bit dangerous tbh lol but I thought she was great! Anyway, me and my friend went for a 'gallop' across some fields at the back of our stables and about 2 miles from home there is a railway embankment you have to go up, her pony went up it fine and mine refused, point blank. So I gave her a smack, at which point she spun round and bolted home. Anyone who has been truly bolted with will know what I mean, but it was like a red mist had descended, I had no brakes, no steering, nothing! She went the full two miles home at a flat out ex-racehorse gallop, I remember coming down a hill and we had a tiny cut through in the 5 foot hedge and thinking "she's going to jump the hedge" luckily she cut through the gap but if someone had been walking their dogs we would have killed them! She finally stopped when she got to the gate at the back of our yard, how I didn't fall off ill never know!

The second one was on the next pony I had, a naughty 14.1 Newfie, brilliant jumping pony but had a horrible broncing habit. Took him to our local pony club where my friend persuaded me to do some gymkhana games, needless to say he bronced me off spectacularly and they called an ambulance. To make it even more embarrassing my parents were watching a Leicester Tigers rugby match which is opposite the hospital and the match commentators announced the fact I was being taken to hospital over the tannoy to 10,000 people. Cringe.

Parachute

Visit site
The best one - Did a jumping class at a local show, was riding a pony I rode for the local stables, wasn't much of a jumper. Cantered towards a jump. Pony stopped, head down, I leaned forward he shot his head up, hit my face, knocked me out, woke up to find pony looking at me. Got on and did the course, dizzy and upset. Won 3rd. Went to hospital after with a suspected broken jaw.

Oh fun. :D

Or at least mum says I was knocked out?! I'll have to question her, I just remember getting back on!
Haha, he was a trier though, loved him to pieces.

Just questioned her: She said 'No you just fell off and sat dazed for a few seconds.''
So now I can't edit my post. Sorry for mistake! :eek:

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I once managed to lose my balance and fall off when my horse tripped in canter. Somehow I landed on my feet, while still holding my reins, and sort of 'cow boy style' leapt back on and continued cantering! If he had been any higher than 14.2 I doubt I'd of managed to leap back on! Everyone was in fits of laughter, as was I, ended up clinging on to his neck with tears rolling down my face unable to breathe lol

Parachute

Visit site
Another one (yes, accident prone),
Once rode my friends loan pony bareback, he was walking calmly and suddenly jumped, startled by a rabbit. Causing me to go over his neck, and break my finger. No riding for 6 weeks! Damn bones. :eek:

Rebels

Visit site
Daftest fall - horse jumped down into water and then out, should have turned left but went straight on and fitted neatly under the blackthorn shrubs surrounding the water. I was left dangling from the blackthorn until my shirt sleeves shredded leaving me with an impressive array of thorns stuck in me. Horse had shredded his BRAND NEW saddle!!
Same horse also decided not to turn for a xc jump at another venue and ended up jumping the post and rail next to the jump, jumped me clean off and left a large tuft of his hair on the post.
Weirdest fall - horse ducked out at a Christmas themed show jump, I clung on to his side as we had a flat out gallop round the arena until I let go. Landed with a huge thump and looked up to see a very convincingly dressed angel costumed steward. I was quite confused until I realised I wasn't dead!

Pippity

Visit site
Worst fall - hadn't ridden for a few years and a friend invited me to go along and ride her horse. 16.3hh TB, off the track for four months, and I stupidly put my stirrups at the sort of length I used when doing dressage on the ploddy old cob I used to ride, and then decide that, sure, let's head straight out for a hack round the xc course rather than spend a bit of time in the school! TB starts cantering sideways because he wants to run, I realise my stirrups are effing useless, panic and clamp my legs round his barrel, while simultaneously holding him in. I thoroughly deserved the bronc he threw and don't blame him in the slightest!

Unfortunately, while I was bouncing in and out of the saddle and just about managing to stay on, I landed a bit too hard, fractured my spine, and promptly flopped off. God knows what I did to *his* spine, the poor sod.

Strangely, she never asked me back to ride him again...

Most embarrassing - taking a cob mare for a walk/graze in hand. She's happily stuffing her face, I'm happily enjoying the sunshine, when a Killer Bird leapt out of the hedge at her. She leapt into me, I hit the deck and cracked my head. When I came round, I was still clinging on to the lead rope for grim death, while she was back to stuffing her face.

sandi_84

Visit site
Some of these are making me laugh! :D Poor mum's trying to watch her tv program with me snorting and giggling as quietly as I can behind her :D

I've fallen off riding bareback and leading two horses to the field all with just headcollars on because that's what you do when you're younger :eek: The pony I was riding had a foal called Rose and she was one of the ones I was leading (although she was 4 by then and can't really be called a foal anymore). Anyway Rose decided that mid canter a patch of grass looked especially tasty so she just had to stop and put her head down all in one go... que me getting pulled off backwards and landing on my back in front of the horrified people who were there to book a ride out :eek:

I fell off after the horse I was looking at buying decided that he was feeling especially fresh and bucked 3 times in a row. I can sit two and then I'm off and this time I landed square on my bum with my legs out in front of me with all the riding school kids and parents watching - incidentally they found it highly amusing :rolleyes: - and I had a numb bum for half an hour afterwards :D

I fell off whilst trying to jump a small upright with scarey yellow wings on my sisters horse, I came off out the side door and landed quite softly and then rolled the last inch or so to have my ribs bumped by the wing. I got up and giggled to myself as I checked no one had seen my epic fail :p

But my favourite one was when we were again riding the horses to the field bareback in headcollars and I was last through the gate. The other girls didn't wait for me (naughty!) so I climbed the gate and mounted only to be promptly bucked off by the excitable pony who didn't want to be left behind. I did a full summersault and landed on my back in a rather large mud puddle... it was my softest landing yet! :D

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
My best fall off was a month or so a go during the snow. Me and a fellow livery decided to go for a hack round the fields but led our horses to the entrance of the field as we didn't trust the slippery path. She was up and on, I had one foot in the stirrup when my horse took a couple of steps forward so I hopped along, I must have stood on something particularly slippy and ended up lying right underneath him, reins still in hand. He just looked at my like get up you idiot!! I couldn't move for laughing, good job he didn't move he'd have completely trampled me. So I managed to fall off before even getting on!!

sam72431

Visit site
I remember me and a friend were waiting to go into a class and both on very well behaved ponies messing around doing round the world and pretending to do sidesaddle etc anyway I got completely tangled up somehow and just fell off yes at a standstill pony just carried on standing there looked down as if to say well that was pretty stupid wasn't it?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
When I was a teenager I was on a pony which ran off with me and galloped back to the farmyard, skidded round a corner too fast, fell over and we both landed in the pig midden :eek: I then should have gone home on the bus but the driver took one look at me and wouldn't let me on so I had to walk all the way home covered in pig muck.

A funny one was later when I was at quite a big show on my stallion. We were in the lineup in a ridden showing class and the stallion next to mine challenged him. He reared straight up, my stirrups came off the saddle and when he came back down I was stood on the ground by his tail, feet still in the stirrups and still holding the reins :eek:. Darn it, we were doing well until then.

HelenS

Visit site
Most painful - last night :( (and me nearly a pensioner) and it wasn't even off my own rising 4 year old. I was riding a friend's horse who totally out of the blue decided to shy at something outside the arena. As he did so he scooted off dropping a shoulder. I bit the dust for the first time in nearly 20 years at great velocity and landed on my pelvis, just before my head soundly hit the ground. Fortunately nothing broken, which is a blessing, cos at my age bodies don't bounce quite so well. No I'm just walking like I've wet myself to the sound of groans and ouches :eek:

Most embarrasing was some years ago when riding side saddle. I leaned down to tighten my girth and the saddle slipped depositing me on the floor in an ungainly heap.

And on another occasion, whilst being legged-up side saddle the guy who was doing it was a bit over enthusiastic and I didn't turn quick enough to sit on the saddle and was jetisoned straight over the back of the horse to lie in a heap of sand covered side saddle apron much to the amusment of a group of youngsters having a riding lesson :(

bumper

Visit site
I have two.
Worst one: Hacking out my 5YO IDxHanovarian, met a loose pig feed bag in high winds, on a single track lane close to the yard, which looked (clearly, as it was blowing about all over the place) as it was about to eat him, so got off to wedge it in the hedge. Went to get back on, but had to lengthen the leather as he was 16 1, and there was no convenient wall etc. Halfway on a bird flew out of the bushes, he went forwards, I went sideways, and crashed into the road.
Staggered up the road in a sort of concussed trot after him, and caught up with him standing in a gateway talking to other horses. Lead him back to the yard, and it wasn't until I tried to take his saddle off that I realised my left arm wasn't actually working. Staggered back up road to YO's house, where his wife gave me paracetamol, and let me phone-a-friend to take me to A&E. Broken collarbone.

Funniest one: Riding bombproof 17YO cob, nannying a 15YO girl out on a hack, on her newly-acquired mare. I was slopping along, letting teenager take the lead, until the mare suddenly reversed at speed into us, and doubled barrelled my chap. He (of course) span to return the favour, and I was all at once deposited into a muddy puddle, facing in the opposite direction to the one I was going in, completely unharmed :D

Molly01

Visit site
Some of these are so funny! A long time ago I was out on my cob mare who normally plodded everywhere. We were on a rough piece of ground which we used to cut through back onto the road. I knew that someone had put some barbed wire across the normal exit and had planned a different route but for no apparent reason my pony decided to take off with me and galloped up the path. I was pulling on the reins to no effect and we zoomed round the corner and straight into the barbed wire which caused me to catapult out of the saddle and sail right over her head. I landed in a heap at her feet & she looked very bemused, she was looking at the fence as if to say "Where did that come from?"

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I was riding my cousins horse once, we'd just got back from a hack, I was chatting to my aunt who was stood by the horse, went to get off and forgot to take my foot out of the stirrup. Landed on my back on the floor feeling pretty sheepish!

Mildred

Visit site
For some reason my tiny blonde brain conjured up a cunning plan to take my ex-steeplechaser out hunting with the RA (mile upon mile of open rough army training land on Salisbury Plain) in a straight bar rubber snaffle. We'd been out before with a different pack who hunt in very trappy woodland, and unsurprisingly he was not difficult to stop. It was all going swimmingly as we cantered along quietly looking very smart, and then the woodland track opened up into a vast area of plain. We were on a very high ridge with what can only be described as a wall of death in front of us. The rest of the field cantered sedately round the top of the wall of death to get to the other side, but my horse had a sudden burst of bravado and shot off down the side of the epic hill at an eye-watering gallop - he was never a success in his racing days being one of life's followers so quite why he chose to race the field, out on his own, is a mystery. His bravado didn't last long, my frantic hauling on the bit which might as well have been made of chocolate proved ineffective, and as we hit warp speed we fell foul of some fairly deep tank tracks and performed a spectacular somersault. He didn't even break pace, he overturned, his speed picked him straight back up onto his feet and he was galloping away to win his race. I landed face first on some kind of metal grid which was imprinted across my face for the rest of the day, and I had to do a very long walk of shame up the other side of the wall of death. A couple of gallant army fellows came to my aid but Im sure they were secretly wondering why I'd chosen to gallop down the side of a cliff. Not my proudest moment! :eek:

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com
Was having a jumping lesson, some 10+ years ago, and after popping over a fence horse I was on started bucking for all he was worth. Stayed on, got him stopped, had lost my balance a bit by then. He starts to turn, very slowly, one hoof at a time, and I come right off. My instructor & I were laughing so much, neither of us could stand to go after said horse, who by then had ran back to his stable!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
too many

1975 broken wrist

1978 bucked off a horse at boarding school landed on my back, could not walk or run strait for weeks on end zooooooooom forward to 1981 back went out told if i had this sort back 1978 i would not have the problems i am going to have later on zooooooooom forward 2013.
zillion times backs been out could not move - dress- get off a chair - epidurals in my back to ease the pain - slipped disk- sciatica now .:( osteo said if i had not taken the ibuprofen that night the sciatica started i would be paralyzed for life.

falls in training too many to mention.

first mare crashed into a sign left me with broken shoulder blade and collar bone 1980's zoooooooooom forward now disability lift arm up and allot of pain

1998 mare fell with me jumping left me with skiers thumb:( cant hold things properly

2007 gelding bronc me off landed on fence post broken ribs bruises galore hardly no flesh without bruises- osteo said i should not have survived should be 6 ft under

too many non injury falls- boys sounds bad when written - don't know why i am still here

Last edited:

ibot

Visit site
too many

1975 broken wrist

1978 bucked off a horse at boarding school landed on my back, could not walk or run strait for weeks on end zooooooooom forward to 1981 back went out told if i had this sort back 1978 i would not have the problems i am going to have later on zooooooooom forward 2013.
zillion times backs been out could not move - dress- get off a chair - epidurals in my back to ease the pain - slipped disk- sciatica now .:( osteo said if i had not taken the ibuprofen that night the sciatica started i would be paralyzed for life.

falls in training too many to mention.

first mare crashed into a sign left me with broken shoulder blade and collar bone 1980's zoooooooooom forward now disability lift arm up and allot of pain

1998 mare fell with me jumping left me with skiers thumb:( cant hold things properly

2007 gelding bronc me off landed on fence post broken ribs bruises galore hardly no flesh without bruises- osteo said i should not have survived should be 6 ft under

too many non injury falls- boys sounds bad when written - don't know why i am still here

I think the only thing that can be said after that is OMG :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!

Amo

Visit site
This thread is brilliant, although just had someone come up to me at work to make sure I was ok as they saw me crying, obviously missed the accompanying mad chuckling :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
2 worst falls are:
Working for a guy breaking in 2, 2 year old TBs to go into training - one of which was a colt. Did all the lunging with tack in the school then did all the leaning over/getting on/leading around work on the yard until we were ready to be let off the lead in the school. Problem was he was turned out in the school as there were mares on the yard so it was the safest place for him, so as soon as the lead came off he ******ed off and started broncing! Unfortunately neither of us had thought to check the girth so the saddle slipped slightly forwards, the back came up a little and I was catapulted straight out the front door.
Second worst fall (and the most embarrassing at the same time!) was off my friends 12.2 Sec B. We'd broken her in together (she's 5'9 so I was the jockey) and got her going to the point where she could go out on loan for a child to bring her on. God knows what the loaner did to her but when we picked her up 6 weeks later she was riddled with lice and you couldn't get on her - before she went she was happily being ridden by a 7 year old novice :mad: We gave her some time off and then tried to re break her, S promptly got bronced off so I got on with the same result - only whilst S was fine I had to get treated for my one and only broken bone (collarbone) :eek:

mynutmeg

Visit site
Worst fall was got on my tb, he started jogging and just got faster and faster to the point we were flat out galloping around the school. I ended up bailing before we went down as he was struggling to get round the corners and instead of rolling and skidding as was the intention I managed to land on my feet and ended up with both ankles broken and dislocated. We later discovered that he was race trained and that was the second time I'd had a bit on him, we had been riding in a hackamore (I hadn't had him long)

Most embaressing has to be the only time I've come off my mare - we were doing some trotting poles and I managed to get unbalanced and she put a tiny spook in sideways and somehow I ended up flat on my back with her looking down at me rather confused (it was the first time she'd had someone come off her).

Shantara

Visit site
For some reason my tiny blonde brain conjured up a cunning plan to take my ex-steeplechaser out hunting with the RA (mile upon mile of open rough army training land on Salisbury Plain) in a straight bar rubber snaffle. We'd been out before with a different pack who hunt in very trappy woodland, and unsurprisingly he was not difficult to stop. It was all going swimmingly as we cantered along quietly looking very smart, and then the woodland track opened up into a vast area of plain. We were on a very high ridge with what can only be described as a wall of death in front of us. The rest of the field cantered sedately round the top of the wall of death to get to the other side, but my horse had a sudden burst of bravado and shot off down the side of the epic hill at an eye-watering gallop - he was never a success in his racing days being one of life's followers so quite why he chose to race the field, out on his own, is a mystery. His bravado didn't last long, my frantic hauling on the bit which might as well have been made of chocolate proved ineffective, and as we hit warp speed we fell foul of some fairly deep tank tracks and performed a spectacular somersault. He didn't even break pace, he overturned, his speed picked him straight back up onto his feet and he was galloping away to win his race. I landed face first on some kind of metal grid which was imprinted across my face for the rest of the day, and I had to do a very long walk of shame up the other side of the wall of death. A couple of gallant army fellows came to my aid but Im sure they were secretly wondering why I'd chosen to gallop down the side of a cliff. Not my proudest moment! :eek:

Hahaha!! Beautifully written, made me feel like I was there! I'm afraid it had me in tears of laughter :p hope you and horse were ok!

I've had a few falls, but I had a funny one off a 13-something hh pony!
I figured she was too small to do much, but I was very wrong.
We were cantering and suddenly her head went down, she leapt in the air and bucked, twice! I was still on.
When she landed the 2nd buck she span 180, still on!!
She bucked again, still on!!
She span and leapt...I was not still on.
I landed in a deep, muddy puddle and broke my little finger.