Best feed for a native weanling?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I'm reading lots of different views on whether to feed a native weanling. Some suggest not to feed at all whilst others feed things high in protein etc.

What is best?

Recommendations on feeds, balancers etc welcome.

Thanks!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it depends on how the weanling looks now and the grazing you have but I think as long as they have enough hay and grass most do well, if I think they needed a bit extra I would feed a good all round balancer like pro balance from progressive earth with a mash and some grass chaff but I tend to keep feed pretty simple.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Another vote for D&H suregrow. My boys been on it since he was 6months and it’s been fab. He’s never been fat and it’s given him everything he needs without me having to worry about it.

I feed it soaked alongside readigrass in winter (and Hifi lite in summer) and a soaked mash of grassnuts/alfalfa nuts/beet pulp and a 100g of linseed. He doesn’t get the mash in summer just the hifi and linseed for a healthy coat.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I think it depends on how the weanling looks now and the grazing you have but I think as long as they have enough hay and grass most do well, if I think they needed a bit extra I would feed a good all round balancer like pro balance from progressive earth with a mash and some grass chaff but I tend to keep feed pretty simple.

Thank you. I was thinking a small amount of soaked grass nuts with a powdered balancer but wasn't sure if more protein, amino acids, digestive supplements etc would be needed. Plenty of grass and hay supplied, out 24/7.

katastrophykat

Visit site
He doesn’t need grass nuts, unless you have particularly crap grass, he just needs a youngstock specific balancer and something to carry it in (some form of chaff etc) if you feel bad about pellets in a bucket ?

they’re bred to go out on the forest and forage, putting too much into them can cause issues with weight and their growth rate, slow and steady and knocked down a bit in winter will do him the power of good!

Ellietotz

Visit site
He doesn’t need grass nuts, unless you have particularly crap grass, he just needs a youngstock specific balancer and something to carry it in (some form of chaff etc) if you feel bad about pellets in a bucket ?

they’re bred to go out on the forest and forage, putting too much into them can cause issues with weight and their growth rate, slow and steady and knocked down a bit in winter will do him the power of good!

This is what I mean. I was going to do a handful of soaked grass nuts to carry a powdered balancer, Pro Balancer or Pro Youngster, undecided, instead of something like Suregrow or another pelleted balancer as he is a native so wasn't sure he'd need that much.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I fed my little ones suregrow last winter until the grass was growing and they started to look a bit too well, then i put them on powdered vits and mins for the summer. Mine are TB and WB. therefore I'd go with powdered vits and mins for yours to start with and see how you go.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I fed my little ones suregrow last winter until the grass was growing and they started to look a bit too well, then i put them on powdered vits and mins for the summer. Mine are TB and WB. therefore I'd go with powdered vits and mins for yours to start with and see how you go.

Thank you.

windand rain

Visit site
She's lovely!
thank you she is a real chunky monkey now at rising 4photo show.jpg
Again not fat I do like my natives well grown but a bit leaner looking. I guess I value their feet She is still on grassnuts and suregrow but has a bit more of it and a bit of linseed to help her feet
She had cracked one on a flint so we are trying to make sure it recovers well

Ellietotz

Visit site

I still can't decide whether to go for Pro Youngster balancer which contains the amino acids in too or just stick to the normal Pro Balance. ? I just worry that the protein etc will be too much but I also want make sure he has everything he needs to grow well!