Best fuel efficient 4x4 car to tow?

MagicMelon

Visit site
So Ive finally paid off my Freelander 2 and am looking to replace it. Brand new or second hand. Id like another freelander but OH wants something as fuel efficient as possible. Ideally petrol since the diesal tax is coming in... (I dont know of many non diesal 4x4’s...). To tow a Bateson Ascot (lighter than an ifor) with usually just a 16hh in it.

Ideas please folks?

popsdosh

Visit site
So Ive finally paid off my Freelander 2 and am looking to replace it. Brand new or second hand. Id like another freelander but OH wants something as fuel efficient as possible. Ideally petrol since the diesal tax is coming in... (I dont know of many non diesal 4x4’s...). To tow a Bateson Ascot (lighter than an ifor) with usually just a 16hh in it.

Ideas please folds?

Whatever the 'diesel tax' is it will never make up for the extra cost of running a 4x4 on petrol. Whatever you get to tow that trailer will be much of a muchness fuel economy wise. Landrover are bringing out some interesting hybrids that may fit the

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
There's not many non-diesel 4x4s for a good reason.

The new tax rate applies to NEW petrol AND diesel cars registered after 1st April 2018 that don't meet the lower C02 emissions, so if you buy a car registered before that, then the usual tax rates apply.

You don't save a lot by buying a hybrid either.

Everyone is getting scared for not a lot.

If you're towing, buy a car that can do the job or else you'll regret it.

Darbs

Visit site
As with most things, this needs to start with your budget.

The more you spend, generally the newer it will be and more likely to be fuel efficient, although spending £10K extra on a car to get the most fuel efficient version may not always be the best approach, you can by a huge amount of fuel for £10K as its the difference between doing 35mpg or 45mpg.

As mentioned above, petrol 4x4's guzzle fuel spectacularly, I would avoid them.

Also, don't forget that manufacturers fuel figures can be very different from what they do real world.

My wife's Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Diesel does about 37mpg real world (no motorways) and there are some good deals used around (plus its a great car). We have never towed with it though, as I have a Discovery 4 for that, and I assume a 3.0 V6 Discovery 4 doing 29mpg doesn't meet your criteria for efficient! (Even though they are the best car on the planet).

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ok, so we’ll forget about the petrol ones then! And thank for pointing out about the diesal tax being on ones after april 2018 so Ill just ensure I get one before then.

So what cars would people recommend? It needs to be a vehicle which will also be used as a family car and have enough boot space for a buggy and dog ;)

MagicMelon

Visit site
My wife's Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Diesel does about 37mpg real world (no motorways) and there are some good deals used around (plus its a great car). We have never towed with it though, as I have a Discovery 4 for that, and I assume a 3.0 V6 Discovery 4 doing 29mpg doesn't meet your criteria for efficient! (Even though they are the best car on the planet).

Unfortunately those are out of my price range :( Id love a discovery but theyre rather pricey and we’ve always been told by others with them that theyre unreliable! Clearly you dont agree ;)

Seasick

New User
Visit site
We also have been looking for a petrol 4x4 to replace our trusty 55 reg petrol Nissan X-trail, which towed beautifully. The only one we have found is the Subaru Forester (if you don’t need to tow too much - petrol auto has 2,000kg tow weight). However, the max tow ball weight is only 80kg which isn’t enough for our Ifor Williams 505, but may be enough for a lightweight trailer. There is also a petrol VW Tiguan. Sadly, I think we are going to have to go for diesel.

Seasick

New User
Visit site
How much weight are you towing? We have been looking at Kia Sportage (2,200kg max tow weight), VW Tiguan (2,500kg max) Ford Kuga (2,100kg max) Mitsubishi Outlander (2000kg max) as none of these are massive cars but have enough tow capacity for us. Will be watching this thread for more ideas!

Darbs

Visit site
Unfortunately those are out of my price range :( Id love a discovery but theyre rather pricey and we’ve always been told by others with them that theyre unreliable! Clearly you dont agree ;)

Its correct they do have that reputation, the early Discovery 3's were a nightmare, they did improve and Discovery 4 solved many of the issues, then the later 8 speed gearbox was better again, but from the very first Discovery's there has been a reputation of things falling off them!

Having said that, I absolutely love mine, its a great car to drive, still makes me smile every time I get into it, and for towing nothing else comes close. Not sure what I would replace it with as I am not keen on the newest Discovery 5. (Plus the £70,000+ price tag is an issue!)

Here's she is...

{97702}

Visit site
I have a Discovery 4 for that, and I assume a 3.0 V6 Discovery 4 doing 29mpg doesn't meet your criteria for efficient! (Even though they are the best car on the planet).

LOL no no I beg to differ - the TD5 is the best car on the planet, it may be older but I adore mine :D :D Never bothered working out the MPG, it would be far too depressing :p

{97702}

Visit site

It is simple with landrovers - never buy the first series that they produce (because they are unreliable) and don't buy the ridiculous modern ones with loads of electronics to go wrong :) As I've said already on the thread, my TD5 is fantastic - but I was fortunate to buy a mint one, which had been immaculately maintained by a landrover fan, I got a bargain for £2.5k :)

ihatework

Visit site
I’m pleased with my Mitsubishi Outlander.
I use it as a day to day commuting car and to tow 1 Horse in a Bateson Ascot.
It’s a 2.2l diesel 180bhp version.
Does around 35-40mpg normal driving and 25-30mpg towing

It’s one of the better ones of the small 4x4 for boot space and has 2 fold down seats in the boot too

GoldenWillow

Visit site
We have a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel with a tow weight of 2000kg, get around 44mpg. It's also our family car, has a great big boot and I find it very easy to drive, it does have a large turning circle though.

Darbs

Visit site
Lévrier;13709733 said:
LOL no no I beg to differ - the TD5 is the best car on the planet, it may be older but I adore mine :D :D Never bothered working out the MPG, it would be far too depressing :p

We definitely agree that Discovery's make you love them, they are great cars, whatever version.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
We are the same as you, looking to find a towing vehicle that can also be used as a day to day car, but can also fit 3 teenagers in the back. We are going to hang on a few more months and see what the Shogun Sport is like when it is eventually released in the UK. If this isn't what we hope it will be then we may go for a Discovery Sport which has replaced the Freelander. If that works out too ££££ then it may be a Kia Sorento as I only need to tow with one horse on board.

tallyho!

Visit site
We are the same as you, looking to find a towing vehicle that can also be used as a day to day car, but can also fit 3 teenagers in the back. We are going to hang on a few more months and see what the Shogun Sport is like when it is eventually released in the UK. If this isn't what we hope it will be then we may go for a Discovery Sport which has replaced the Freelander. If that works out too ££££ then it may be a Kia Sorento as I only need to tow with one horse on board.

I've been toying with this idea (although the teenagers are still to grow) and had a good look at the Disco Sport vs GLC (used)... very impressed with the model that has 2.5t towing capacity of the GLC! (IW505 + 2x15.2)

At the moment I'm deliberating between the brand new PHEV xc40 and keep the gas-guzzling monster truck or trying the compromise..... decisions, decisions...

honetpot

Visit site
It depends how often you tow. I had a very old Discovery 1, which I bought to tow a 2tonne 12ft box trailer. Yes it was not very fuel efficient for every day use, but it would tow and it would not feel the weight, it felt totally stable and consumed the same amount of fuel with the box on.
As I have always driven scappy cars, I would buy two and have a run around for every day. I bought the Disco for £725 from ebay and sold two years later for £650. It had cost me about £600 in repairs to keep it on the road and had never let me down.

tallyho!

Visit site
It depends how often you tow. I had a very old Discovery 1, which I bought to tow a 2tonne 12ft box trailer. Yes it was not very fuel efficient for every day use, but it would tow and it would not feel the weight, it felt totally stable and consumed the same amount of fuel with the box on.
As I have always driven scappy cars, I would buy two and have a run around for every day. I bought the Disco for £725 from ebay and sold two years later for £650. It had cost me about £600 in repairs to keep it on the road and had never let me down.

I tow every weekend near enough in summer and once or twice a month in the week for lessons. I had a LWB Defender which was so much fun... buuuuttt... I spent at least once a week under the bonnet with a wrench and a crowbar +/- a few jumpstarts at venues - always fun! So got an early 00's tow-mobile. I do love it's grunt - and like yours couldn't feel I was towing two hippos in the back, and once, three in a very cool three-horse trailer (almost bought it).

I also do roughly 300 motorway miles a week.

Kat

Visit site
Try a pick up, they are part time Four wheel drive so more efficient. They are also cheaper to tax as they are classed as commercials. Boot space would not be a problem, you probably wouldn't even need to fold your buggy! 😂

We currently have a Dmax but had a Navara before and they will do almost as many mpg as my little Petrol car if you aren't towing.

EventingMum

Visit site
Depending how much non towing driving you're doing I would also suggest a pick up although may not suit your dogs. They're ideal for towing, loads of room for a buggy and horse stuff and are very well equipped. We've just changed from a Toyota Hilux to a Ford Ranger which has every comfort we could want - heated windscreen, heated seats, reversing camera and sensors plus loads more. It's cheap to tax and as we're both self employed we run it as a business vehicle and got the VAT back on it's purchase price. Ours is not that economic in terms of mpg as it's 3.2 automatic but our son's is a 2.2 manual and it's very good while still having plenty of power and towing beautifully - two horses in an Ifor 510 are no problem. The Rangers are also relatively cheap to service as many parts are the same as Transit ones.

Kat

Visit site
Food for thought.....

The newest d max is only 1.9l but can still tow 3t. You will get better mpg from a manual.

You can get different tops for the flat bed so should get something suitable for the dogs. Have seen dogs in ones with truckman snugtop or ifor Williams tops or with a crate in the open flat bed.

tallyho!

Visit site
The newest d max is only 1.9l but can still tow 3t. You will get better mpg from a manual.

You can get different tops for the flat bed so should get something suitable for the dogs. Have seen dogs in ones with truckman snugtop or ifor Williams tops or with a crate in the open flat bed.

Well, I've done a bit of research... the best mpg was around 46mpg (Navara). The GLC returned 56mpg. (I tend to reduce these figures by 10 for realistic driving) and the GLC can still do 2.5t...

I tell you what's piqued my interest though.... the BIK! It's 50% less compared to a GLC... off to chat to fleet :)

p.s. and sorry OP didn't mean to hijack your thread!

[59668]

Visit site
Try a pick up, they are part time Four wheel drive so more efficient. They are also cheaper to tax as they are classed as commercials. Boot space would not be a problem, you probably wouldn't even need to fold your buggy! 😂

We currently have a Dmax but had a Navara before and they will do almost as many mpg as my little Petrol car if you aren't towing.

This. I have a dmax. I get 34mpg normal driving and about 33 towing. It's great.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would echo trying a pickup. Ive got an Isuzu Rodeo double cab. Loads of inside room for people, dogs, feed, hay and horsey stuff can go in the pick up bit. I used to tow with it and it was fab, dont need to now but kept it as our main car and wouldnt be without it. Pretty economical, lovely to drive, loads of space and great in bad weather.

coss

Visit site
I have a vauxhall antara - 2tonne tow capacity. mpg is in the 30s unless it's doing an engine regeneration (clearing the dpf) and i don't do normal driving, very short journeys which are terrible for fuel economy. Towing one horse in a single ifor doesn't seem to affect the mpg either. Large turning circle for the size of car and a few other gripes but in general i've found it a good car.

spookypony

Visit site
I had an Outlander dual-fuel (petrol/LPG) for a while. 1 505 with 1 small horse was about its limit, but it did feel very wussy (LPG doesn't help towing capacity). Its fuel economy was 5h1tty, but that was made up for by the LPG being about 60p/litre. It was ok, but I really wouldn't recommend. I miss my Pajero.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I love my Xtrail. Great car to run, very reliable and tows my 505 and 500kg boy with ease. Never any issues. 2200 towing capacity even though I’ll never use it as I only ever tow one.