Best grooming brush for scurf - Haas??

Jo1987

Visit site
Hi all, hoping there are some grooming brush gurus on here that can tell me the best brush for shifting scurf in an unclipped, rugged, field kept horse.
I have a 26 year old retired pony who I will soon be rugging, however once he's rugged he suffers with an abundance of white scurf that I can't seem to get on top of despite daily grooming. He has a very thick winter coat and has always had dry skin and has sweet itch so he seems a little worse than your average oldie.
He has brewers yeast daily but it doesn't seem to make much difference?
Not rugging at all is unfortunately not an option although I've put it off as long as he'll allow!
I've heard good things about haas brushes, but is this just good marketing?
Any tips and tricks appreciated!

Leo Walker

Visit site
The Schimmel made my Haas takes scurf off my cob like nothing else. No amount of scrubbing has the same effect. I'd try some linseed in his diet as well. Mine only gets a handful but it does help with his skin

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've just succumbed and purchased the bay/chesnut set of four Haas brushes (the Military, the Cavalalier, the unpronounceable one beginning with F and the Diva.).

They're brilliant! I haven't clipped my bay mare yet. She tends to get a superficial layer of scurf which is difficult to shift without bathing her, which I don't like doing at this time of year.

The scurf is gone! She positively sparkles now. 10 mins grooming was plenty to see real results.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I stumbled across Haas brushes today and I'm seriously tempted to invest... so thank you for such a well-timed post :D

I'll be following with interest!

McFluff

Visit site
I bought the grey Haas set based on reviews here. They are great brushes. Bought a couple for a friend as a prezzie and she loves them too. They do remove the 'scurf' and I've stopped using all my other brushes now.

Ponio_lover

Visit site
Stumbled across this thread but very glad. Definitely going to try some. I own a scurfy monster!!! My usual brushes just bring some to the surface and move it around.

emmad96

Visit site
Have now managed to convince myself to buy the schimmel... Sorry for hijacking post, but I don't suppose someone could tell me whats in the 'pack' for the grey/white horses made by that Equlisve company? I won't be buying from them but would like to know which brushes to go for!

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I'll invest in the schimmel to start with!
FrankieCob, yes he's on linseed as well, he's the same whatever he eats unfortunately - I've investigated this as I thought it might be diet related!
Where is the best place to buy haas brushes from?

McFluff

Visit site
I got mine from Eqclusive. Thought the service was great. Can't remember the names of the brushes - will check when on the yard - but the grey pack has a brush with stiff bristles (great for removing mud), a schimmel (my favourite), a short white bristles one (horses favourite when clipped!) and a diva (lovely, but I only bother for shows or lessons). I also bought the curry comb to clean the brushes. They do need washed too - probably because they are so effective.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not tried the Haas brushes, but the best thing I've used to bring up scurf on unclipped horses is one of those plastic Magic brushes. Want a schimmel now, and I'm usually highly resistant to advertising whiles.....

Leo Walker

Visit site
Please dont buy from Ecqlusive! The owner joined here twice under fake names and started threads trying to stealth sell the brushes. She claims to be the only distributor and to be the creator of the brushes. Its not a business you want to be supporting.

Polished Ponies sell them as do Horze.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not tried the Haas brushes, but the best thing I've used to bring up scurf on unclipped horses is one of those plastic Magic brushes. Want a schimmel now, and I'm usually highly resistant to advertising whiles.....
I've just upgraded to Haas from my old rather rudimentary brush set - Magic brush, body brush and plastic curry.

It's just wow! My bay/chesnut set has a military brush instead of the schimmel, which does the same scurf lifting job but is less harsh.

They are tough and functional brushes.

I bought mine from polished ponies. Go on, just try one to start with...

Cornish

Visit site
Whoops! Have been looking at the rave reviews on these for a while, and this thread tipped me over the edge...Parcour, Lippizaner, Schimmel and Cavalalier on the way for my scurfy black cob and dirty muddy grey mare! Hoping they'll arrive in time so that I can return said cob to his usual summer shiny glory for a winter show on Saturday - can't wait!!! For those of you who already have them, do you think this is enough to cover the two? Thinking the Lippizaner can be used on both?

Cornish

Visit site
A drop of oil daily in his feed should sort out a scurffy coat really quickly. Either linsead or corn oil.

Thanks amymay - he does get linseed daily (a relatively modest amount - he's a bit porky at present!), but no matter what I do he always seems a bit scurfy despite regular thorough grooming and regularly working to a good sweat (he's a typical 'hot' cob) and being well washed off. He's better in summer but I'm really keen to see if these brushes make difference - love a proper winter evening grooming session when you can't do much else, great for the bingo wings! As for the mare, well, she's iron grey at the moment, god help us when she's white grey as she revels in mud and does like to pee through her tail too... :)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I've been admiring the HAAS brushes for several months now but am so confused which brushes would be best. My gelding is buckskin varnish roan so doesnt fit into any of the colour packs definitions, he's not bay, black, chestnut, grey or coloured!

No idea which brushes to get! Any advice?

pinkie.pie

New User
Visit site
Would somebody mind posting a link to where we can get these brushes please?! I have a dark roan and not sure what category he'd fall in to but would love to try these as he's suffers with the same!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

gallopingby

Visit site
Any good quality grooming brush should do the same job as the highly promoted Haas brush sets. I'm amazed how everyone thinks a set of different brushes will produce results in 3 minutes! If you buy a good enough quality brush and use it correctly combined with good feeding and regular grooming/strapping you should get a good result and improved muscle tone as well. Unfortunately these days many people don't know how to strap or else don't have the time. Obviously Haas have exceptional marketing skills and I suspect have been making quality brushes under whatever brand name they choose for many years!

9tails

Visit site
Any good quality grooming brush should do the same job as the highly promoted Haas brush sets. I'm amazed how everyone thinks a set of different brushes will produce results in 3 minutes! If you buy a good enough quality brush and use it correctly combined with good feeding and regular grooming/strapping you should get a good result and improved muscle tone as well. Unfortunately these days many people don't know how to strap or else don't have the time. Obviously Haas have exceptional marketing skills and I suspect have been making quality brushes under whatever brand name they choose for many years!

You say buy a good quality brush and and use it correctly then say that Haas has exceptional marketing skills. Maybe they sell good quality brushes?

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site

What other good quality grooming brushes would you recommend please? Are the Haas brushes not a reasonable price for good quality brushes?

Casey76

Visit site
Wonder brushes now come shaped and in "hard" and "soft" bristles. They are AMAZING, and by far the most comfortable to hold brushes I have ever used!

https://www.felix-buehler.ch/Wonder...kraemer-pferdesport.20-CH&pi=431733&ci=253416

Wonder-Brush-HARD.htm

I got mine from my Swiss tack shop, so they should be available from Kramer.co.uk