Best headcollar for yearling

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m looking at a yearling filly who is high percentage Arab and has a tiny little face. Vetting next week.

She leads nicely and has great manners. She wore a fleecy le mieux type headcollar when we viewed her.

Happy to get the same but thought I’d find out if anyone had strong recommendations in a particular direction. I’d like something that would come in brown preferably as that’s about the most exciting colour my horses wear ?

Keeping myself busy waiting for vetting day by pre-shopping for things.

Eta, contemplating leaving a field safe one on her for the first few days after she arrives. Am I mad?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I used a padded leather one in yearling size that was made by a local saddler.

I did put a field safe on at one point and it was the Aerborn one. I replaced any broken rings with leather shoelace because I couldn't get the replacement rings to glue together properly.

TPO

Visit site
I'd put a fieldsafe on with a short plaited length of twine on the ring that a lead rope would go on. It makes it easier to catch a new horse as generally when they feel that wee bit pressure they feel "caught" and you can slip the real headcollar on to lead.

I like a nice brown headcollar too. Horseware used to do a nice soft padded nylon one. My current headcollar was from Equisessentials Fressage but I've just checked and they dont appear to carry headcollar anymore. I also have the Mark Todd leather headcollar and I like it. Although it might be a bit chunky on a delicate arab face.

Good luck with the vetting and looking forward to hearing about her and her breeding

windand rain

Visit site
I would use a leather one not keen on youngsters in nylon but thats my hang up. I bought filly slips in various sizes and dont usually leave anything on in the field. I prefer the leather slips as they are designed to keep the cheek pieces away fom the eyes and with a tiny head I am sure you will find one to fit.
Shires do them in up to yearling tb size for less than £25

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I forgot to add that I'm so excited to see photos of her. :D :D :D I really hope that she passes that vetting. I may not be able to buy a youngster for myself at the moment *sobs* but I can definitely enjoy everyone's posts and updates about their youngsters. :)

daydreamer

Visit site
hi,

I bought one of these ... https://www.gibsonsaddlers.com/product/weanling-to-yearling-leather-head-collar-silver-range-190n/ for my youngster when he was 6mo. I had to add some more holes to make it smaller as I think they are aimed at TB's! The leather is really nice and quite narrow which I felt fitted a little head better. It still actually fits him now as a 3yo and is in good condition (apart from the bit he chewed) despite complete neglect!!

Edited to add I have a Morgan so probably a similar size to an Arab I would guess.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
hi,

I bought one of these ... https://www.gibsonsaddlers.com/product/weanling-to-yearling-leather-head-collar-silver-range-190n/ for my youngster when he was 6mo. I had to add some more holes to make it smaller as I think they are aimed at TB's! The leather is really nice and quite narrow which I felt fitted a little head better. It still actually fits him now as a 3yo and is in good condition (apart from the bit he chewed) despite complete neglect!!

Edited to add I have a Morgan so probably a similar size to an Arab I would guess.

I’d love a Morgan! And yes, probably very similar in size - narrow leather is definitely better. She has a very fine head.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Second the Gibsons They are well made and easy to adjust. I'm another that cringes to see anything nylon left on in the field even for older horses. If you must leave something on then make sure it's a cheapy leather one.
BTW. Those with a rigid back ring that doesn't slide about is always better for youngsters, it has a more definite action.

Shoei

Visit site
How exciting Lady Gascoyne!!

I have no advice but was being nosy as I'm off to hopefully finalise the purchase of a foal at the weekend.... but I have much longer to wait before I can think about headcollars.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I got the Hy one in large and am very happy with it although might need a smaller size.

Mimosa modeled it for me. I’m not sure she appreciated being a clothes horse!

A57FB8AB-C41B-4957-B32C-8C00ACEB1F0C.jpeg

You have to love Arabs- 5’9 rug and a foal head collar nearly fits ?