Best. Natured. Youngster. Ever. Rant.

Arizahn

Visit site
:( T'Khasi is an absolute darling, he really is. And he proved it again, yesterday evening. Got to yard to be told he appeared lame in his off hind leg. Went to check, and it's his stifle.

Called vet, in tears, and somehow held it together long enough to lead him, hopping lame, back up to the yard. Alone, since the person I asked to walk with us in case I went to pieces was offered a lift by another livery who drove down to see if they needed a lift back up. And accepted it without a word to me either way. Thanks a lot for nothing then.

Vet came straight out, examined him thoroughly - it isn't broken but there may be a hairline fracture if it has been a kick. However it could just be a strained muscle or four from galloping. He is to have box rest until Tuesday and just be led in hand daily. Then limited turnout, in a small paddock to prevent hooning about. Except apparently this cannot be offered at current yard...

Poor baby was a saint, vet was having to poke and prod and it was obviously sore, but he never made a move to lash out. Vet was even stood behind him at one point to feel both stifles - pony stood like a rock for him. The exam was being done in the indoor school, and someone else was in with a metal detector looking for their keys. He never even flicked an ear at the beeping!

Am sick of it. He is allegedly now on full livery until Tuesday. I say allegedly as I have frankly lost all faith in yard staff and am very ticked off with other livery - the same one that wanted him to meet their horse in hand, btw. They generally blank me. Despite our having helped them when they first got their horse - last summer, it was going bonkers in the field and they were scared to go near it.

Regarding the lift, I had sent husband up to get the member of staff as I needed a second opinion for the vet and also because I knew I was about to break down in tears and didn't want to panic T'Khasi. Who as it turns out does not panic when his human starts sobbing. So if they needed a lift back up, husband was there. Other livery had no need to be there at all, certainly they were not concerned for T'Khasi.

Yes, this is a rant. Feel free to be snide if you must but be aware that I am very, very upset and cross and will give as good as I get. Vibes would be appreciated, as would opinions on whether I should move yard. I am seriously considering it.

Arizahn

Visit site
And also, that vet is a wonderful human being and I cannot praise him enough. He did not charge me for it being out of hours, and made certain to tell my husband to get me home afterwards and give me strong sweet tea, as apparently I was verging on shock.

Arizahn

Visit site
Thank you, I am hoping he will eat his feed - he hates danilon! Am not to give him too much just in case it is a hairline fracture, as that would spell disaster.

Arizahn

Visit site
We also met a parked tractor on the way to the yard, which was new for him. Had to explain how tractors bring hay from the fields...I think it was more help to me than him.

Husband is on two crutches currently so could not walk us up. He did hobble back down and find us as we approached the yard after realising we had been abandoned. Meanwhile little blind dog sat good as gold in the car.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Oh bless you, I'm not surprised you are upset. T'Khasi sounds a wonderful little chap, I hope he will be ok. Just shows how selfish others can be. You just concenttrate on your youngster. Poor husband, on crutches and doing his best, and bless the little dog. Lots of ((( hugs))) for you, and vibes for T'Khasi. Things will be ok, I'm sure. Your vet sounds wonderful. Have the strength and the faith. He will come through for you x

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Many ((((((VIBES))))))) but start looking elsewhere for your youngster, where you both will be happy at as there's nothing worse than an unfriendly yard when you need help.:(

RLS

Visit site
Oh poor you, and I hope your boy heals quickly.
Hope this cheers you up a bit. My youngster got a mighty kick from his field mate, which gave him hairline fracture on a back leg just below the stifle (thank god - if it had been ON the stifle would have been disaster). He had to be on 5 or 6 weeks box rest, then gradual increase turn out and exercise, etc. He healed well and 4 years down the line he's had no further problem with that leg. This injury happened 3 weeks after I had first backed him - so not perfect timing to be off work! But he settled and was good as gold when we went back to work.
Best of luck with your horsey.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Many ((((((VIBES))))))) but start looking elsewhere for your youngster, where you both will be happy at as there's nothing worse than an unfriendly yard when you need help.:(

Ditto! I had a young 2 year old did a nasty injury to her stifle in Januay last year after a fall in the field. Initial x-rays showed no fracture so she went on box rest! It was SO painful that for more than a week suring the worst of the January weather I had to go down several times through the night to help her get to her feet - she couldn't get up unaided and she stiffened up! She was on complete box rest for 3 months and was still lame when we started a little walking exercise. By July, she finally looked sound so we took her to 3 Counties for further x-rays to determine if there was damage to the joint - which would have been likely if it was the cruciate ligament. X-rays - thankfully - were 100% clear. She was weak and wasted behind, of course - and it's taken more than a year for her hindquarters to develop and muscle up again to the point where they match her rather good front end.

I HOPE your horse's injury is not as severe (this filly was so bad we had to take the trailer into her large field and bring her back to the yard in it.) BUT - stifles can be a bu**er to mend - it WILL take time.

Arizahn

Visit site
Thank you everyone, and sympathies to all of you that have faced similar situations. Am off to vet with Labrador this morning, then up to yard to check on T'Khasi. Will update this afternoon.

Circe

Visit site
I hope your boy is ok, and heals well
I would think seriously about moving yards tbh, I've had a very badly injured horse on a yard where I had lost faith in the staff, and it added to the stress that I was already feeling about my horse.
Kx

puppystitch

Visit site
Why did they wait until you arrived at the yard tot ell you he looked lame? And why had they done nothing about it? Could they not have phoned you to let you know?
Fingers and toes crossed for good news.

Arizahn

Visit site
Why did they wait until you arrived at the yard tot ell you he looked lame? And why had they done nothing about it? Could they not have phoned you to let you know?
Fingers and toes crossed for good news.

They rang when I was two minutes away from arriving, as apparently they had just been informed by another livery. They did not go to check him and my husband had to drive up from the field to the yard to find anyone to come and take a look: vet advised over phone to get a member of staff to watch him trotted up in hand. As it turned out he could not trot :(

Today, they have given him haylage and water, but his box had not been done, despite my paying for full livery whilst he is in. The staff are being very odd - they have not informed the yard manager, who gets back on Tuesday - and did not as much as ask how he was today.

Some of the other liveries did come and ask, and one of them gave me the number of someone with stables and grazing available. Have viewed it, and all seems okay. He will have a stable and his own paddock with horses on either side so they can touch noses etc.

So I will be moving him there as soon as vet says he can travel. Already have transport arranged and will just live off noodles until livery bills are sorted. Current yard require two months notice, so that is two month's grass livery, plus a week's full livery, plus wormer costs...arghhhh! New yard just want deposit for stable, all other charges can be settled at the end of the month.

T'Khasi is sore and fed up, but still behaving himself. Offered his feet to have them picked out. Grazed him in hand then took him back to his box as he was too sore to go further.

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh bless him I hope it is not too serious and he gets better soon! How insensitive of the yard people and glad you have found somewhere else that sounds better.

Your husband sounds lovely and supportive, hope him and little blind dog can provide comfort for you when you are so upset.

Much love and healing thoughts xxx

Arizahn

Visit site
Thank you everyone :) I am a bit worried in case the current yard are unpleasant over my deciding to move, but given that they cannot offer me the sort of rest/turnout arrangements he needs, there is no way I can stay!

Husband actually wants to complain in writing about how they have behaved. Doubt that it would do any good. Keep head down and chin up, only talk to them if needed, and move asap is my plan! As if I spoke my mind at this point, I would probably end up hurting a few feelings...

springtime1331

Visit site
but given that they cannot offer me the sort of rest/turnout arrangements he needs, there is no way I can stay!.

This is what I would say to everyone if you want an easy life. For added good nature you could even smile and say how much you'll miss the place. Venting anger etc, how ever well placed will make the rest of your stay difficult and you may find your horse's care is compromised. Possibly a bit gutless, but its what I'd do in situation anyway.

Arizahn

Visit site
This is what I would say to everyone if you want an easy life. For added good nature you could even smile and say how much you'll miss the place. Venting anger etc, how ever well placed will make the rest of your stay difficult and you may find your horse's care is compromised. Possibly a bit gutless, but its what I'd do in situation anyway.

Aye, smile and nod! Will not be back at this yard again, very disappointed in it.

SusieT

Visit site
to be honest, I would not be paying them their notice if they are not providing fulllivery as agreed (i.e mucking out! most important bit of box rest) as that is not fair. I would also be ringing yard manager to tell her what is happening and that you are not getting full livery but are paying for it.

Arizahn

Visit site
to be honest, I would not be paying them their notice if they are not providing fulllivery as agreed (i.e mucking out! most important bit of box rest) as that is not fair. I would also be ringing yard manager to tell her what is happening and that you are not getting full livery but are paying for it.

She is on her yearly week off at the moment, so will get her mobile number tomorrow and ring her. She is back on Tuesday thankfully. Expect to be gone before then, as long as vet gives go ahead - waiting to hear back.

Think the best idea is to get T'Khasi safe and argue the money side later. I do feel that given the circumstances, they ought to allow some leeway on paying them full notice. If they will accept this month this week, and next month at the start of October, then that would be fine. If they want it all in one go, it will be tight, but I will manage it.

SusieT

Visit site
Am I right in saying you are brand new to the yard? So I wonder if a 14 day cooling off period could be applied? Have you signed anything? Is full livery now being provided? I agree, move him and then argue the money but I would really not be paying 2months notice when he's not being mucked out on full livery!

mjcssjw2

Visit site
I wouldn't be paying 2 months either, if he is on full livery I would expect just that and if there are not providing it they are breaking the contract.

Arizahn

Visit site
Am I right in saying you are brand new to the yard? So I wonder if a 14 day cooling off period could be applied? Have you signed anything? Is full livery now being provided? I agree, move him and then argue the money but I would really not be paying 2months notice when he's not being mucked out on full livery!

I was there with my previous horse last year. I had looked forward to going back but am shocked by the way things are, tbh. I have signed a grass livery contract. Reminded them before I left today that he is on full until Tuesday, so to please make sure he has haylage and water. Have given up hoping they will muck him out :(

We are going to move him asap, and inform the YM in writing. I do not think she will be pleased at what has happened in her absence, as she is very professional and a great manager. As to the livery bill, I will pay them for September (this month, only arrived a few days ago!) before we go, and hopefully they won't demand October in advance, given that we won't be there!

Arizahn

Visit site
Okay, so I will need to pay current yard £250 all in, well unless they decide to say this entire month now counts as being full livery! In which case, double that amount. I may be able to ask for a refund or something regarding October's livery bill. Thankfully it is the manager who organises the bills and I will talk to her in person on Tuesday regarding the whole awful mess. Cannot get number from staff and am concerned about looking through the diary for it without permission in case this causes uproar...

New yard wants a deposit up front for the stable, but will give me hay and shavings free until end of month, when they will bill me as normal :) After that, bill will be the end of each month.They also have donkeys!

Just going to scream now for a while: Aaarrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

atropa

Visit site
Gosh well done you for being the bigger person and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings when they have so obviously hurt yours. Hopefully this new yard suits your needs and your poor horse heals quickly.