Best no fill for a hot horse.

EJJ999

Visit site
Current rainsheet has given up.

Looking for a new one. I ordered the Shires Air Motion which I like but no leg straps. That for me is a no no.

Anyone found similar but has leg straps option.

He seems to overheat easily but isn't happy getting wet !!!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a 0g Mio for mine who pathetic in the rain but doesn't actually need any fill as fat.

One of these - Horseware Ireland Mio Lite Turnout Lite 0g – GS Equestrian

So far it seems fine, though how long it would last in hours of pouring rain I don't know. She hasn't been wet underneath it yet from all the showers we have been having. If you want more waterproof you will need a higher denier than 600.

lottiepony

Visit site
Will follow this as I need to have leg straps too due to horse having zero tail to keep a filet string in place and the thought of what would happen if his rug was to blow up over his back makes me feel unwell! lol!

I have just bought a John Whitaker 50g rug which I'm really pleased with, quality and fit is good. There is a 0g one so am tempted to give that a try.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Thank you. A friend has this and likes it but said it doesn't have leg straps?
I hate leg straps so suits me that they do not have any. I actively try to avoid them. I have never noticed any issues and this horse loves a good roll.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The best LW with leg straps I had was a Bucas one. I wish that Rambo came with the loops for leg straps as they really are the best IME.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
can you not just get a rug repair business to pop on some loops for legstraps?

Yes the sensible thing would be to have that done when the rug is new. Sadly I'm not sensible and always end up using the rug as it's only in high winds that I personally need to rug my horses in rugs with leg straps. Once the rug is worn my local rug repair insists on washing the rugs before any repairs or alterations are done. I find they never come back as waterproof. So that's why I have never had loops sewn on. Bad planning on my part entirely.

ETA - if anyone is looking at Bucas LW rugs, I personally found the Sunshower to only be showerproof. It is a very light rug and is really designed for hot days with the occasional bit of light rain. The colour is good though and definitely holds the heat less than darker coloured rugs.

AFB

Visit site
I have just bought a John Whitaker 50g rug which I'm really pleased with, quality and fit is good. There is a 0g one so am tempted to give that a try.

All 3 of my JW rugs gave up their waterproof within a few months - save your money!!

ihatework

Visit site
By far the best for not overheating a horse are the Bucas sunshower - but they are not that robust, and don’t stand up to heavy rain.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes the sensible thing would be to have that done when the rug is new. Sadly I'm not sensible and always end up using the rug as it's only in high winds that I personally need to rug my horses in rugs with leg straps. Once the rug is worn my local rug repair insists on washing the rugs before any repairs or alterations are done. I find they never come back as waterproof. So that's why I have never had loops sewn on. Bad planning on my part entirely.

ETA - if anyone is looking at Bucas LW rugs, I personally found the Sunshower to only be showerproof. It is a very light rug and is really designed for hot days with the occasional bit of light rain. The colour is good though and definitely holds the heat less than darker coloured rugs.
sorry I had meant that to the OP as it sounded like the first rug they had was bought new :)

I have added small things like this to my rugs with a speedy stitcher sewing awl which gets round the dirty rug problem ;)

Annagain

Visit site
I bought a second hand Gallop no fill rug for Charlie when he arrived as I knew he'd probably outgrow it (he's still just squeezing into it after 8 months) so didn't want to spend a fortune. For a cheap rug, it's been great. It has leg straps, has stayed waterproof in quite heavy rain and never moved. Charlie did manage to put a small rip in it fairly early on but it's not got any worse and there's no point in me spending money on getting it repaired as I only paid £15 for it and he won't be able to wear it for much longer.

TGM

Visit site
Maxima Equestrian do a 0g turnout rug that has detachable leg straps, and is reasonably priced. You could also think about getting a waterproof fly rug if he is a really hot horse.

Widgeon

Visit site
I bought a second hand Gallop no fill rug for Charlie when he arrived as I knew he'd probably outgrow it (he's still just squeezing into it after 8 months) so didn't want to spend a fortune. For a cheap rug, it's been great. It has leg straps, has stayed waterproof in quite heavy rain and never moved. Charlie did manage to put a small rip in it fairly early on but it's not got any worse and there's no point in me spending money on getting it repaired as I only paid £15 for it and he won't be able to wear it for much longer.

I have a Gallop no fill too, full neck version - it's been in use all winter and only wets out in the heaviest of persistent rain - but I just sling another (old, no-neck) no-fill on top of it if the weather's looking particularly bad. For something that cost about £20 it's done a brilliant job.

Alibear

Visit site
I have both weatherbeta no fill and loveson (from go outdoors) no fills; they came with leg straps and see OK in the rain. I do get them reproofed annually.

EJJ999

Visit site
Agree the Gallop ones are great. It's just given up but it was cheap and has prob lasted 4 years. As this one is such a hot horse I thought I would aim for a nicer rug as it will see him into winter.

As suggested above. Have found a rug repairer who will put leg straps on for less than £10. I would cost £6 to send it back and I do like the rug (airmotion).