Best way to wash a half pad?

Copperpot

Visit site
I put my full sheepskin ones in machine on wool wash using Woolite. I also smother them with human hair condition before I put them in. Keeps them soft!

Izzwizz

Visit site
Get yourself some Nuumed Nuuwash from your tack shop and wash on a delicates cycle, 30deg. The wash is designed for Nuumed products in particular, is soap based and will last you forever! Air dry out on the line. Thats all I do and all my numnahs etc are still like new.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I just chuck my nuumeds in with my jods and use non bio liquid. I use Melp on anything that still has the skin attached, or if I've run out I've also smothered with hair conditioner and then used a wool detergent :)

I always air dry away from heat and then brush out when dry.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Stick it in the washing machine on a delicate wash with a good quality washing liquid/powder. Dont tumble dry it and allow it to dry naturally. You may need to fluff the dead sheep up while its drying, but they never look the same afterwards.

Griffin Numed make a shampoo to be used specially for half pads and sheepskin numnahs, which I have used, but its expensive and doesnt necessarily do a better job than any other washing liquid etc, unless your horse has sensitive skin (neither of mine do).

Goodness, I have just admitted I have some dead sheep.

0ldmare

Visit site
Any non-bio liquid detergent that's designed for wool will do fine - eg woolite, boots own, whatever. Don't waste money one 'special' detergents ;)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Forgot to say the Nuuwash is £4.95 for a litre, you only need around 50ml which is a very small amount, esp if your washing anything else too. It does last a long time. Is good for coats and other waterproof clothing as it doesnt strip the waterproof layer from them. Also good for sensitive skinned horses.

Rocky01

Visit site
Please don't use wool detergent on sheepskin half pads with the hide on. Nuumed are generally okay as they are only the wool and cotton but many others have the hide attached. Wool detergent and many others will actually damage the hide which over time causes the pad to fall apart. Leather Therapy do a leather wash for the washing machine that protects the hide, there must be some others but that's all I can think of at the moment.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I put conditioner on it before going in the wash and it has come up lovely. Its a brown half pad so don't have to worry about trying to get white spotless!

Is good for coats and other waterproof clothing as it doesnt strip the waterproof layer from them.
That's good to know, might buy a bottle for using on coats as well then :)