BHS in safe hands?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters

PAK

Visit site
BHS Members - There is an important meeting planned for 5 Jan 2019. This was announced via a very small enclosure in the recent magazine. In my opinion, this is the latest set of changes in a strategy spanning several years to centralise control, weaken the role of members and reduce democracy. The proposed changes to the constitution may appear minor but are significant. Given that there is no longer any requirement for AGMs, the proposed increase in the number of members required to call an EGM will make it quite difficult for members to call a meeting. Another proposed change to the constitution requires candidates for Trustee to be approved by the Nominations Committee. FYI -Two well known, respected qualified members were recently deemed unsuitable. Check the public information about the industrial tribunals for respected senior staff members dismissed in the past 3 years including that of a "whistleblower" who was then dismissed. Her "whistle blowing" letter was not circulated to the Board. When the accounts are finally published, we should be able to see the impact of the legal fees and settlements on the bottom line. Members - please look into what has been happening. In my opinion, there are serious questions to be asked regarding both the leadership and the governance of the charity.

PAK

Visit site
Please check out Pammy Hutton's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/janet.geor...V0DWXhmAhKMSK5GxGzhsBJ_qFT159ixnTUD4yMwGQZjwp

Janet George is with Pammy Hutton.
9 December at 10:28 ·

To All my friends who are BHS Gold Members:
Do you know about the Members' Meeting on 5th January - or did you throw out the teensy envelope announcing it with the other advertising stuff included with British Horse? Changes to the Constitution are proposed which - if they go through - will mean BHS Members have even LESS voice than they do now. This WILL be detrimental to the aims of the British Horse Society. So please ensure you fill out your proxy and get it in BEFORE 21st December and vote against the changes. Please do NOT give your proxy to the Chairman. If you are not up-to-datewith the problems, please check out HHO -

FORUMS.HORSEANDHOUND.CO.UK

Another British Horse Society c**k-up
I thought that after Sheila Hardy won her unfair dismissal case, there MIGHT have been an improvement in employer/employee relations. But now - Wendy Suddess - who has worked her backside off for the BHS for 17 years - has been sacked. I'm slowly gathering facts - but far too many people seem...

PAK

Visit site
Something is out of alignment if the recruitment of new trustees has to go outwith the membership!

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
And while you are in Facebook, have a look at David Sheerin's page to see how he spends his time as Chairperson.
Does he not know that perhaps there is a conflict of interest that he is plugging a brand of saddle on his personal page as well as saying where he has been a Chairperson? Very unprofessional.

Reactions: PAK

PAK

Visit site
Does he not know that perhaps there is a conflict of interest that he is plugging a brand of saddle on his personal page as well as saying where he has been a Chairperson? Very unprofessional.
Eureka! I see we have 10 votes against "BHS is in safe hands". Two more and we can trigger an EGM under the current constitution.

PAK

Visit site
To paraphrase Edmund Burke - Dear BHS members -
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good women & men to do nothing.

PAK

Visit site
What if the World of Horse Welfare offered insurance like the BHS, I wonder how many members would drop BHS now?

PAK

Visit site
OK readers - we now have 12 votes against "BHS is in safe hands". Under the current constitution, if we translate that into actual signatures we have enough to trigger an EGM. Before I try to tackle this, please reply - do you think there are 12 good people who would now sign a document to require an EGM to discuss concerns about the governance and leadership of the BHS with an emphasis on what needs to be done to restore membership confidence?

PAK

Visit site
I agree completely. It may be tough to pull the objectives together but with some help I will try. As a starter, for example, what I believe is needed - an organisation that meets the needs of its member first and foremost. Those needs should be determined by the members themselves. All activities & services should be designed to meet those needs. A "grass roots" organisation that is membership centred, locally led, and regionally & nationally coordinated. A not for profit organisation with democratic principles in action, "checks and balances", and fully transparent ways of working.

PAK

Visit site
Further, like great charities, every penny of its income from members must be spent on the purpose of the organisation - not in high profile events and high salaried staff.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I've retrieved my tiny white envelope from the recycling bin (I really hadn't seen it in all the advertising stuff which I never look at and simply drop straight into the bin) and happy to put my cross in the 'Against' box but who can I nominate as my proxy or can I trust the chair?

Do we really believe the chair we have no confidence in, actually open his own post? So really, all I need to do is trust his exec admin? What is everyone else doing?

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Yep, I will.
But I think we have to be clear as to what we want to make us happy, and have a objective, not just a list of moans. I will pm my email address.

Other ideas, did I remember correctly that the BHS doesn't have AGMs anymore, so reintroducing them would be a good idea.
Perhaps a formula for deciding salaries and other major purchases? I don't know if that's practical though

PAK

Visit site
I've retrieved my tiny white envelope from the recycling bin (I really hadn't seen it in all the advertising stuff which I never look at and simply drop straight into the bin) and happy to put my cross in the 'Against' box but who can I nominate as my proxy or can I trust the chair?

Do we really believe the chair we have no confidence in, actually open his own post? So really, all I need to do is trust his exec admin? What is everyone else doing?

Best case - fill out the paper & give your proxy to Loraine Young. Let me know that you have done so and message me with your name & membership. Second best case - fill out the paperwork, keep a copy, and send it in voting against.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had a very long e mail with links to various subjects which i havent read yet.,so dont understand people saying it has not been publicised enough, as i assume every member would have received this.....what exactly are the membership wanting to change?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
People were saying it hadn't been publicised enough before the email was sent. Until that point you would have only known about it through forums or if you had thoroughly checked the junk mail collection with the magazine.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have no received no email at all. I too never noticed the envelope and would have been absolutely none the wiser had it not been for this forum. Happily the envelope had missed the recycling bin so my proxy vote has been sent :)

Reactions: PAK

PAK

Visit site
i had a very long e mail with links to various subjects which i havent read yet.,so dont understand people saying it has not been publicised enough, as i assume every member would have received this.....what exactly are the membership wanting to change?
The changes to the constitution are not being proposed by the membership.

PAK

Visit site
As they say, it's "throwback thursday". Here's a letter I wrote in 2014 on behalf of the BHS Ayrshire Committee. Sound familiar! And in response to this letter, I have a very interesting tape & transcript of the voice mail I received. The "caller" thought to have ended the call but it was still live & recorded onto my answering machine. Reported to the Chair and nothing happened!

Attachments

• Letter 2014.pdf
    55.5 KB · Views: 8