BHS exam dress code, oh dear!

maggiestar

Visit site
I'm taking my Stage One in December and am slighty amused by having to wear a tie again at the age of 38! Does anyone else think this is over the top and impractical? I fully understand the need to look smart for professional examinations but surely a smart polo shirt would look the part. I mean, in which other sport would you have to wear a tie?
Also, does anyone know if I'd be allowed to wear black leather half chaps or do I need to buy full length boots?
(Sorry for mini rant!!)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I work on the principle that if there is a dress code, then that is what you wear. If a tie is required then wear a tie, can't see a problem with it. I wear a tie when showing, a stock when doing dressage, I also wear a hair net when showing, not something I would dream of wearing at other times. Also I have to say IMO there is no such thing as a smart polo shirt.

TelH

Visit site
I work on the principle that if there is a dress code, then that is what you wear. If a tie is required then wear a tie, can't see a problem with it. I wear a tie when showing, a stock when doing dressage, I also wear a hair net when showing, not something I would dream of wearing at other times. Also I have to say IMO there is no such thing as a smart polo shirt.

^^^ This (well apart from the dressage bit as I only do showing, but I agree with the rest) :)

maggiestar

Visit site
Thanks for your perspective everyone, I think I needed that! It's just that I haven't worn a tie since school and associate them with feeling restricted and scratchy... It can't he helped though so I'll grin and bear it!

Capriole

Visit site
You don't need to be comfortable you just have to look spiffy :D

It's only for a matter of hours :) You could start wearing one about the house so you're used to it by then, lol!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
To make the whole experience of tie wearing less unpleasant, buy a boys shirt with the right size collar for your neck, much more pleasant than trying to make a blouse neck fit. You can buy boys school uniform shirts from most supermarkets (I got a cream/yellow one from BHS) works a treat.

caseycat

Visit site
When i took my BHS exams, it was a very long time ago, it was compulsory to wear a head scarf for all of the stable management sections!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
haha, hope you don't need to handle a horse like mine!! my 3 yr old puts everything in his mouth, a tie would be rather fun for him! he had my scarf the other day. last night he tried to get the strings on the farmers hoodie!!

caseycat

Visit site
I believe it was mid-80's, the year of the first live aid. Unbelievable to think you couldn't feed a horse or groom him without a head scarf.

Good luck with your exam, on the day your tie will be the last thing you are thinking of x

TandD

Visit site
I have worn a coloured stock to my exams....had no problems and I am horrified at the state some people turn up in!!!!!!

I also wore smart black boots and chaps....both polished! Couldn't wear my long boots for a day, the zip would have broken...... Others were in chaps and there was no problem in this either.

Kat

Visit site
The thing is it isn't a sport exam it is a professional exam so you are expected to wear professional dress. For my advocacy exam I wore a charcoal skirt suit, court shoes, tights and a blouse - I don't wear that daily in the office but I did for a professional exam.

maggiestar

Visit site
I believe it was mid-80's, the year of the first live aid. Unbelievable to think you couldn't feed a horse or groom him without a head scarf.

Good luck with your exam, on the day your tie will be the last thing you are thinking of x
Thank you :) I'm now imagining how much worse it could be - doing the stables dressed like the queen in her headscarf, hee hee! x

ruth83

Visit site
The thing is it isn't a sport exam it is a professional exam so you are expected to wear professional dress. For my advocacy exam I wore a charcoal skirt suit, court shoes, tights and a blouse - I don't wear that daily in the office but I did for a professional exam.

This!

Black leather gaitors will be absolutely fine, fabric half chaps are not but jod boots alone are acceptable (obviously with Jods, not breeches).

maggiestar

Visit site
I have worn a coloured stock to my exams....had no problems and I am horrified at the state some people turn up in!!!!!!

I also wore smart black boots and chaps....both polished! Couldn't wear my long boots for a day, the zip would have broken...... Others were in chaps and there was no problem in this either.
Oh good, I'm glad about that - was dreading having to fork out for boots...

maggiestar

Visit site
I understand what you mean as about it being a professional exam but I do see it as a sport exam as well, after all we are tested on our physical abilities. That's why it seems strange to be trussed up on shirt and tie...

Clare85

Visit site
I love getting dressed up tbh! A tie is very smart IMO. And I don't think you are allowed to wear half chaps in bhs exams - I think it's long boots only but don't quote me. Good luck with it :)

Pigeon

Visit site
I think it's silly, as a tie isn't practical or flattering, and in fact is a risk (could get caught in a stable door and throttle yourself) but unfortunately I agree with others, if it's the dress code you'll just have to wear it.

I think stocks look silly (or rather, I look silly in a stock) and wish I didn't have to wear one for dressage, but c'est la vie!

Capriole

Visit site
I did stages in the 80's as well and headscarfs weren't compulsory for me either.

I love getting dressed up tbh! A tie is very smart IMO.

Me too :D Tbh it's the only time I ever get to dress up, never go anywhere non-horsey anymore, lol.

Pigeon, I never get to wear a stock, kind of would like a navy one but the way I imagine I will look in it and the reality of what I would probably look in it are probably vastly different :p Not in a good way.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Call me old fashioned, but I don't regard a shirt and tie as being "trussed up" or inhibited. It's smart and not impractical in my opinion. High heels and a low cut, super-tight blouse you're practically popping out of would be impractical ;)

I also think you'd have to be acting rather reckessly (and peculiarly!) to hang yourself with it on a door :eek3:

Capriole

Visit site
I also think you'd have to be acting rather reckessly (and peculiarly!) to hang yourself with it on a door :eek3:

That's why they do it, obviously. It's to weed out the people who can't get through a door without damaging themselves. Makes perfect sense actually now I think of it :D