BHS exam dress code, oh dear!

Lolo

Visit site
Call me old fashioned, but I don't regard a shirt and tie as being "trussed up" or inhibited. It's smart and not impractical in my opinion. High heels and a low cut, super-tight blouse you're practically popping out of would be impractical ;)

I also think you'd have to be acting rather recklessly (and peculiarly!) to hang yourself with it on a door :eek3:

It would be a lot of effort as well, you'd have to plan it. Especially if you do the sensible thing of safety pinning the tie to your shirt... Or is that just me and Al who do that? Cheapest tie pins ever...

Reg managed to hang himself on a door with a headcollar once, the one time we risked putting him in there for 5 minutes still wearing one. He appeared in the main yard with the door attached to his face with his best "I have a good explanation" expression on... If you are less intelligent than Reg then you probably shouldn't be allowed out of a padded room!

FWIW, a shirt that properly fits with a tie correctly tied shouldn't be uncomfortable. It's smart and shows some respect. Men's shirts are much more comfortable than women's too, designed for more movement and have broader shoulders and a wider neck so you aren't trussed in. And seeing as this is a winter exam I imagine they'll be letting you wear a jumper :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Tie either pinned down or the ends tucked in through the buttons of the shirt if it's come loose / lost pin here too. Drilled into me in science lessons - ties waving about in flames are a bad idea ;)

Pigeon

Visit site
Call me old fashioned, but I don't regard a shirt and tie as being "trussed up" or inhibited. It's smart and not impractical in my opinion. High heels and a low cut, super-tight blouse you're practically popping out of would be impractical ;)

I also think you'd have to be acting rather reckessly (and peculiarly!) to hang yourself with it on a door :eek3:

I managed to whip myself in the eye the other day. With a short stick, while I was riding. Anything's possible!

Lolo

Visit site
I managed to whip myself in the eye the other day. With a short stick, while I was riding. Anything's possible!

I broke a finger once shortening my reins. It really hurt and no one was nice to me about it because it was so ridiculously stupid :(

Pigeon

Visit site
Exactly - natural selection. This is why I strongly disapprove of the use of clip on ties in schools ;)

Love it!!

I agree though that a shirt looks good, just don't think a tie is crucial for looking smart. I went to a state school with a fairly casual uniform, so I find it weird seeing girls/women in ties, because you never see it in the workplace.

JFTDWS

Visit site

I managed to poke myself in the eye with a sword while doing some at arms riding stuff. Life is full of little risks!

I agree though that a shirt looks good, just don't think a tie is crucial for looking smart. I went to a state school with a fairly casual uniform, so I find it weird seeing girls/women in ties, because you never see it in the workplace.

I think most women in the work place look horribly unprofessional and I think aesthetic standards would be greatly improved by wearing appropriate shirts and ties, rather than skin tight blouses, un-buttoned to expose far too much flesh! I'd also be a lot more inclined to dress that way than in the current "professional" attire that women seem to sport.

But that puts me firmly in a minority :D

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ties and shirts are totally ridiculous.

When I started riding you had to wear a shirt, tie , hacking jacket and hairnet for all lessons. Modern textiles hadn't been invented then. You wouldn't see a golfer wearing plus fours now, they wear practical designs with fabrics designed for an outdoor hobby.

What other sport hangs on to outdated and impractical clothing ? No wonder its seen as an elitist sport. Equestrianism will never have the appeal of cycling until we are dragged into the 21st century and start looking like sports men and women.

khalswitz

Visit site
Referring to the health and safety aspect, in a previous job with animals we had to wear a tie as part of the uniform. To stop ourselves being killed by mad animals they all had to be clip on. My argument was that a clip on tie does NOT look smart, and if they were that worried about health and safety why not let us wear polo shirts when handling animals? Plus the trials and tribulations of ties getting dragged through feed/ anything at table height/ anything we Lean over resulting in looking very unsmart even with a tie on!!!

case895

Visit site
I have yet to see a single professional (i.e. paid full time) AI or II deliver a lesson whilst wearing a shirt, tie and jacket so the garb cannot be described as professional attire. I suspect that the reason the clothing is stuck in the 1950s is the same reason that parts of the syllabus are (single feeds, bran mashes, duvets for stable rugs, obsolete tack you would struggle to buy). The examiners are of a different generation that still thinks these are the norm.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP if you're looking to economise is there anyone who could lend you the requisite gear??

i.e. pair of boots if you're worried......... or a jacket etc.

I say this because a few years back when I'd "given up" horses and hadn't got any gear, a friend who drives asked me to "groom" for her when she did a driving class; and I hadn't got a stitch to wear (horsewise that is!!!).

We managed to beg, steal and/or borrow an outfit for me (including OH's shirt and a tie :)) and we got in the ring, and we strutted our stuff.

Strangely, and I've no idea how it happened, we won first prize for turnout!!! And THEN, after the class, handed all the stuff back to the rightful owners again:)

Good luck for your exam anyway.

Goldenstar

Visit site
When ever I put my horsey tie on I am forced to remember the french and Saunders pony club sketch.
Just remember that OP and have a quiet smile to yourself as you do your exam.

Patterdale

Visit site
I suspect that the reason the clothing is stuck in the 1950s is the same reason that parts of the syllabus are (single feeds, bran mashes, duvets for stable rugs, obsolete tack you would struggle to buy). The examiners are of a different generation that still thinks these are the norm.

When in doubt, just make it up to suit your own ends eh? :rolleyes3:

Had you taken a BHS exam or picked up a syllabus recently you'd know that it's your information actually that is outdated.

And FYI, most examiners are accredited trainers who are very much with the practical horse world, not old fuddy-duddys messing about with jute rugs as some people like to claim.

case895

Visit site
I did do an exam recently and all the examiners were in their 60s or 70s. One said during the tack test that this (holding an item up) is something none of you will have probably seen as its obsolete. He was right too. Another tested us only on single feeds even though she had compound examples.

A friend did an exam recently at the same centre and reported similair experiences.

That's what is called evidence.
When in doubt, just make it up to suit your own ends eh? :rolleyes3:

Had you taken a BHS exam or picked up a syllabus recently you'd know that it's your information actually that is outdated.

And FYI, most examiners are accredited trainers who are very much with the practical horse world, not old fuddy-duddys messing about with jute rugs as some people like to claim.

teacups

Visit site
Ties and shirts are totally ridiculous.

You wouldn't see a golfer wearing plus fours now, they wear practical designs with fabrics designed for an outdoor hobby.

What other sport hangs on to outdated and impractical clothing ? No wonder its seen as an elitist sport. Equestrianism will never have the appeal of cycling until we are dragged into the 21st century and start looking like sports men and women.

Completely agree.
Clearly many of you are completely accustomed to the sight, but to the vast majority of people in this country, and to people from abroad, the sight of someone on top of a horse in a tweed jacket just looks as though it belongs in the Downton Abbey era. Good for tourism, perhaps!

IMO there is a difference between dressing smartly and dressing as though you're an extra in a costume drama or 'the office'. Why not just have a colour code? Plus a basic rule e.g. 'upper arms covered, no cleavage, no midriff'. Done.

The cost of these extra outfits will also be yet another barrier to the accessibility of the sport.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I did do an exam recently and all the examiners were in their 60s or 70s. One said during the tack test that this (holding an item up) is something none of you will have probably seen as its obsolete. He was right too. Another tested us only on single feeds even though she had compound examples.

A friend did an exam recently at the same centre and reported similair experiences.

That's what is called anecdotal evidence.

1. Maybe you were just not well educated in matters of tack? Without knowing what the item was, we can't exactly judge whether it is inappropriate for inclusion on a BHS exam!

2. Lots of folk feed straights. I do. That's not out of touch with the horse world, only out of touch with the feed company advertising :confused3:

Patterdale

Visit site
1. Maybe you were just not well educated in matters of tack? Without knowing what the item was, we can't exactly judge whether it is inappropriate for inclusion on a BHS exam!

2. Lots of folk feed straights. I do. That's not out of touch with the horse world, only out of touch with the feed company advertising :confused3:

Thanks, saved me some typing there :D

Also, you're saying the examiners were in their 70s!?? Ok ;)
Lots of the examiners are over 35, granted, but that's usually because it takes that long to get the type of practical experience and peer respect needed to be a BHS examiner.

I have seen older examiners, but never one in their actual 70s, never mind every single one being 60+. But because you said it on the Internet, I suppose it MUST be true....:rolleyes3:

Patterdale

Visit site
To those of us who did not live all our lives with horses the dress codes seem hilarious. And for Stage 1? can it possibly be true?

Why is being smart hilarious? Do you think people in the show ring look 'hilarious'?

It's standard smart equestrian wear. It's not like they're asking you to wear white tie and tails, or a bathing suit.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Completely agree.
Clearly many of you are completely accustomed to the sight, but to the vast majority of people in this country, and to people from abroad, the sight of someone on top of a horse in a tweed jacket just looks as though it belongs in the Downton Abbey era. Good for tourism, perhaps!

What a load of codswallop!

You obviously do not:
Show or compete
Go hunting or drag hunnting
Or have ever done BHS exams

Sweeping statements like the above, make you sound like an ignorant silly-billy!
There are many differnet dress coeds foe many differnet sports, clearly each is adhered to.

No need to bring general puvlic into a discussion about what to wear for a BHS exams.....

OP - hope it goes well :)

Visit site
6 pages over wearing a tie?!? Jeezo! Now don't I feel silly when I go showing "trussed up"!

It may seem outdated to some but it is tradition and dressing smartly shows respect. I would never dream of going into the show ring without shirt, tie, boots and either smart trews/breeches and waistcoat/tweed jacket!

A little respect goes a long long way!

Jo_x

Visit site
What a load of codswallop!

You obviously do not:
Show or compete
Go hunting or drag hunnting
Or have ever done BHS exams

Sweeping statements like the above, make you sound like an ignorant silly-billy!
There are many differnet dress coeds foe many differnet sports, clearly each is adhered to.

No need to bring general puvlic into a discussion about what to wear for a BHS exams.....

OP - hope it goes well :)

Did you read what teacups actually said?

The vast majority of people in this country do not show, compete, go hunting, or do BHS exams.

Ties are the most ridiculous item of "clothing" in existence. At least stocks provide some degree of neck support

Jo_x

Visit site
Why is being smart hilarious? Do you think people in the show ring look 'hilarious'?

It's standard smart equestrian wear. It's not like they're asking you to wear white tie and tails, or a bathing suit.

Many people think that "standard smart equestrian wear" is hilarious because it is laughable how far it is from practical attire.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ties are the most ridiculous item of "clothing" in existence.

Really? Even more ridiculous than boob tubes or mini skirts or mankinis?

Ultimately, a shirt and tie are traditional (but not antiquated) equestrian attire, which are still worn for tradition-rich activities in this country. It really doesn't matter what the general public think. I reckon there's a wide tract of society reckons cyclists look daft in their lycra body suits. That's not a valid reason to for them to change either!

Lolo

Visit site
Dunno. I've work ties outside of the horse world more than I have in it. I went to a state school where we all wore ties (and they still do) and all the other local state schools had the same uniform style, I play in several bands where our uniform is shirt and matching ties (and blazers for one!) and I've attended a few courses where the uniform for the presentation was shirt, tie and smart skirt.

It's how we do smart in this country. Everyone I knew, knew ties meant smart. So while I do agree it does seem outdated, and I really believe for the Olympics especially the jacket and tie look wasn't good because it didn't allow for people picking out riders and being able to support them with no knowledge, it's no big deal. It's an exam, you look smart for them. Simples. No one is forcing you to do them!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
my tuppence worth ;)

I did my stages back in the 80s. As a working pupil, I was expected to wear a shirt and tie, navy/cream jods, long or short boots and a navy V or round neck jumper at all times on the yard after breakfast (ie when clients were about) as we taught and rode in lessons daily. Hairnets, gloves always for riding, body warmers etc had to be approved by the yard (Patchetts EC). Ridiculous? in some ways maybe, but it was about discipline as well as looking smart. I'd like to see more modern attire in some of our disciplines but I like to see staff and pupils at equestrian centres look business like-unfortunately not many of them do. That discipline that I learned from a BHS training yard has stood me in good stead I think, if only more people learned about consistent and safe handling of horses and basic stable management!