BHS Stage 1 - my exam experience!

nikkitodhunter

Visit site
When I was prepping for my BHS stage 1 I found a few threads on here where people had written up their experiences and found them really helpful, so I thought I'd do the same.

I did the full exam last November at Bold Heath Equestrian Centre, I got distinction in the care modules but have just retaken the riding module (I'll update with my result asap!).

Read on if you're interested! It'll be long, but hopefully useful.

Preparation:
I'll be brutally honest - I'm bad at revision! I'm in my final year of uni so I neglected a lot of the theory until the last minute and ended up cramming on the train home to take the exam (I still have to consult a chart to know weight to feed ratios etc., never learned that off by heart). Luckily I helped at a yard as a kid and owned my own pony for many years, so the practical & common sense aspects came pretty easily - I knew the points, colours, tack and so on from being a horse-obsessed kid. My main tip here would be - don't wing it like I did! I'll get on to how you can make up for weaknesses in knowledge, but honestly I feel bad for having done so myself, as it means I didn't get the full learning experience out of these aspects of the exam that I could have done (and I have more work to do when aiming for stage 2) and I do regret that.
Unless you have very little practical experience around horses, for stage 1 I don't think the courses offered by some riding stables are necessary - the practical module covers things you should pretty much be familiar with if you have been around horses at a riding school (if not, just get there early and help out after, they'll appreciate the help probably and you'll learn the grooming & tacking up). I already had the BHS Stable Management Manual from when I'd owned a horse, so that helped me revise. This is a good investment - I suspect the stage 1 specific book is useful, but I didn't want to spend any more money than I had to. Unless you really want to splash the cash I doubt you need the whole specified reading list! I also found youtube videos really, really helpful - whack anything that you're not sure of in there and you're sure to find soemhting, e.g. the way to adjust the stirrups or do a tail bandage. Just try and check the way you're learning is 'accepted' - it is a great tool for visual learners like myself, though.
Also, while I don't think there's as much importance placed in 'the BHS Way' that some people mention, there are certain things you should know - the list of the rules of feeding & watering, for example, or the slightly more old-fashioned things such as wisps that are still on the syllabus. (One girl in my group had very clearly never looked at a book published by the BHS and it really showed.)
I'll probably mention other things about prep later, but let's move on!

On the day:
I was very worried about the dress code as I've never shown and, being a student, couldn't really splash out for a new outfit. However, a couple of more experienced horsepeople advised me that for the stage 1 exam the dress code is much more relaxed. While most people in my group were in the standard - showing jacket, long boots or leather gaiters, etc - I ended up in an M&S shirt, navy v-neck jumper, black jods and just black polished-up jod boots, no gaiters - oh, and my dad's tie (not to mention thermal layers underneath for warmth)! I can't speak for all centres, but having been to this one twice now with different people each time, none of the assessors batted an eyelid - at the end of the day, I was smartly turned out (and in my opinion in much more practical gear fr the majority of the day, after all only 1 module is riding!) in accordance with the minimum dress code for the stage 1, so don't stress if you haven't got a fancy showing jacket. In fact, while it says boots must be worn the whole day, the assessors told several girls they would change into wellies for the practical sections, so I wish I'd brought mine. (Tip: if you go this route, and buy a cheap non-equestrian-specific shirt, maybe go a size larger than usual - the first one I got was far too fitted to ride in, so thank goodness I gave myself time to exchange it for a more suitable one. Under a jumper you can't see the poor fit really.)

The assesors were all fine - I found the gentleman who took the practical oral module very encouraging and forgiving, some were a little more standoffish but it seemed like professional detachment rather than rudeness. The riding assessor on my second attempt at that module was very welcoming and understanding. When interacting with them, I'd say be forthcoming with info that you know - but don't be tempted to show off too much beyond the syllabus if you know it, as my riding instructor warned me that they can often drill you a bit of you do this with tricky questions, so you're only making life harder! That said, don't feel self-conscious if you talk a lot, and speak up if you know something, even if they don't ask you - on the grooming section, my horse had been tied with a granny knot rather than quick-release, so as the instructor was walking past I pointed out to her that I'd fixed this. I felt like such a bloody know-it-all, but they like it if you point it out to them, as it shows you know your stuff and you're confident in it! It seemed that they did try to very subtly unsettle us - one responded to my answer about a part of the saddle with 'are you sure?' which really threw me off and I started second-guessing myself, but having looked it up afterwards I was completely correct - I think she was just checking I was confident in my answer, which clearly I wasn't! Think before you answer, but stick to your guns. The best tactic is the be forthcoming with the things you are string on, as if you do that they'll get the impression you are string in that module and leave you be. I barely saw the assessor during the grooming/tack section, having reeled off the parts of the saddle and explained how I felt about the fit of the tack very confidently, so she left me alone after about 30 seconds - she then spent a good ten minutes grilling the girl in the next stall who was clearly not as knowledgeable :/

On that note: Unit 1 grooming/tack:

This was easily my strongest module as I had the most experience with it! We were the final group to go so the horses were utterly immaculate - grooming was just going through the motions. Don't do it so fast it looks lazy, just illustrate the correct use of each tool so the examiner can see you doing so if they're watching. DO look for ill-fitting tack - they will do things like adjust the fit of the bit, the bridle I put on was a tad ill-fitting, only a bit but I said what I might adjust to the examiner and she seemed happy. Know the signs of good/bad fit (of tack and rugs) and why they're important.

Unit 2 husbandry/identification/handling:
Part of this seems to always be done after the riding - the trot up, and asking about colours/points etc. With the trot-up- be confident you know which way to turn the horse! In addition, revise your points, and the difference between skewbald/piebald, and also know what various shades of chestnut and bay look like so you don't confuse the two - these seem to be the things that tripped people up in my group.
In some posts read people were left to muck out stalls in pairs, but in our group we were led round as a group and the assessor picked people at random to demonstrate various things e.g. putting up a haynet. This brings me to another point - don't be afraid to contradict/correct another candidate if you think they are wrong. Once example: a girl in my group tied up the haynet quite incorrectly, and the assessor asked the rest of us if it was ok. In this case you have to be critical, even demonstrate how to do it right - if you just stay quiet that's as good as doing it wrong yourself in some ways. You feel like a bit of a cow doing it, but it has to be done :/ you can always apologise afterwards (as I did, the poor girl was having a really bad day of an exam, due to lack of knowledge!)

Unit 3 caring for horses
We did this in a classroom, where the assessor swapped between asking people t volunteer answers, going round the table asking for examples, and just picking people out. For areas where there are a variety of answers, learn them all not just one - you might be the last to be asked and someone will take yours! Recognising feedstuffs is one where you can't really hide - also, if you pick a super easy one, you may be asked to swap it, so be confident! They may well have stuff you won;t have seen before, but try to look at pictures of a lot of things at least, and know the different forms they can come in (e.g. sugar beet in flakes as well as cubed).

[See post below for the riding module...]

nikkitodhunter

Visit site
Riding!
In my opinion this is the module which it is easiest to fail and hardest to pass! That's not to put you off - but it's kind of like a show/competition, ideally you should be able to ride above the level asked for in both cases. You don't need to be a star dressage rider to do well, but - and I'm basing this on experience & assessor feedback from failing first time! - you first & foremost need good balance and a good seat, and to be happy riding new horses.
My first exam was not enjoyable - I'm a small rider and ride at a yard with mostly smaller ponies, so the bigger cob I roe first was a big shock. He was a bit of a plodder, and having ridden my fave school horse who is quite forward-going for the past few months, I wasn't used to riding a lazy horse. This got me really flustered and meant I didn't ride him very well! He also had a bigger stride than I was used to, making me tense up and not do great in the work without stirrups. It also highlighted that I had an issue with sitting to the canter and canter transitions. These are things my assessor flagged up in the feedback for why I failed. I'd stress that I don't at all blame the horse for being 'lazy' - I'm of the firm belief that a good rider can cope with a plodding horse, and I let my nerves get to me on the day which meant my riding was not up to scratch. Before I even rode the second horse I knew I'd failed!!
This was obviously really disappointing, but ultimately it helped me improve my riding really rapidly between then and now - it gave me a shake-up and pointed out flaws it would have taken longer to notice in my normal riding environment. So, I went back to my instructor with that feedback, and we worked a lot on sitting to the canter (even doing it without stirrups a few times), improving my transitions, and most importantly riding every horse on the yard!! This made me much happier adapting my riding to new horses, which meant I felt more prepared and far less nervous the second time around. The canter thing was something that surprised me at first, but was a subtle thing in my riding that needed addressing - before I started lessons again in 2013 I'd been a happy hacker on my speedy little pony for many years, so I was very used to adopting the light seat but not so much to staying with the movement and sitting with it. I'd probably still be riding that way if I hadn't had the motivation of retaking the exam to improve it.
Bearing in mind that I don't know if I passed it yet, I'm still really happy with my second attempt. Though I was still nervous I rode a lot better, focussing on hat I was doing rather than how others were doing, and riding the horse positively rather than being disheartened. As it happened, this horse was a polar opposite - *very* fizzy, and it was spooking every time at one particular corner. I stayed really calm and rode the horse as I would any other spooky horse, but as we came nearer to the sitting trot work I spoke to the caller (who tells you what to do while the assessor watches) and asked to switch to a different horse for that section, as I didn't feel happy doing it on such a spooky horse. He totally agreed and basically said he'd already decided to do that, they had no issue with me asking for a different horse in that circumstance. As I got off to swap the assessor even said I had done a great job on him, which was encouraging! They then put me on a lovely horse for the second half, who was just the right balance of calm but forward-going. Obviously this all helped, being able to show the examiner I could cope with a trickier horse and getting easier horses to ride off the leg, but I think mainly I rode a better exam because I was more prepared. Ultimately, even if I failed again, I'd be happy as I can still see an improvement in my riding from where I was last time. It seems like a fair number of people fail this module, so don't be disheartened, and think of it as (a bit of an expensive!) learning experience.

I really hope at least some of this helps people taking their exams - the link to the other similar thread below, as they mention some stuff I've left out.
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?615841-BHS-Stage-1-Exam-My-Experience

Feel free to ask me any questions!! x

sjb10

Visit site
Yes thanks for sharing. I'm far too old and doddery to think about doing the exams but interesting to read about experiences and requirements. Daughter might start doing them soon so will look at getting the books for her to start reading!

Echo24

Visit site
Well done! Thank you for sharing, I've done loads of stage one courses at riding schools but never had the bottle to apply for my exam! Unfortunately the nearest test centre to me is about an hour and a half away which gives me even less motivation to apply for it. Please write another post when you do your stage two - it would be extremely helpful and informative! :)

DiNozzo

Visit site
I got bucked off a nappy horrible horse doing my stage 2 at Blackdyke, after asking him to move forwards from the leg going away from the gate...

'well trained and quiet horse's' apparently.

nikkitodhunter

Visit site
I got bucked off a nappy horrible horse doing my stage 2 at Blackdyke, after asking him to move forwards from the leg going away from the gate...

'well trained and quiet horse's' apparently.

Poor you! Yes, my first horse wasn't too 'quiet' - but the people at the test centre were very good about recognising it and switching him for a different horse, so I didn't say anything on the feedback form (frankly I was happier to have him than the plodders I'd been stuck with the first time round - I mentioned them in my feedback form, perhaps that was my comeupance!!)

Echo24, go for it!! There's no test centres near where I live really, so I combined my exams with trips home from uni so I could use the parental taxi service for the 45 minute drive ;P But honestly, if you have the training you will do brilliantly I'm sure - you should do it!

Stage 2 could be a while away, so many more units to revise, for a start! I've never ad the chance to lunge, though I'm hoping to find a training course for that somewhere fairly close. The jumping section will also have to wait, as the yard I ride at currently is brilliant but doesn't do a lot of jumping - it's probably been about a decade since I jumped a course!! But it's nice to have a goal to work towards :D

teacups

Visit site
Congratulations!
sjb10 - I did stage 1 and 2 as an evening class a few years ago. Didn't bother with the exams as I really won't need them and they are not cheap: it was the practical knowledge I was after, as a non-horse owner who one day hopes to own one.

I thought I would be the only person over 21: couldn't have been more wrong!
All bar one were between 35-55 (rough guess)...so don't go around thinking you're too old. Several people had a lot of experience, but wanted to 'update' their knowledge, and also took it as a chance to have some riding experience of different horses.
OP, the course of jumps in stage 2 is actually only 2 jumps, so don't get too worried.

Farma

Visit site
Congratulations!
sjb10 - I did stage 1 and 2 as an evening class a few years ago. Didn't bother with the exams as I really won't need them and they are not cheap: it was the practical knowledge I was after, as a non-horse owner who one day hopes to own one.

I thought I would be the only person over 21: couldn't have been more wrong!
All bar one were between 35-55 (rough guess)...so don't go around thinking you're too old. Several people had a lot of experience, but wanted to 'update' their knowledge, and also took it as a chance to have some riding experience of different horses.
OP, the course of jumps in stage 2 is actually only 2 jumps, so don't get too worried.

sorry just incase anyone reads this doing stage 2 it isn't 2 jumps! I did mine recently and it was a few jumps on one horse then a whole course on another!

teacups

Visit site
That's what the tutor told us - I didn't do the actual exam though, so can't comment on that. It was BHS Riding and Care. It'll be on the BHS site - the syllabus is on there. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

spookypony

Visit site
Interesting to read your experiences, and congrats on the pass! I sat my Stage 1 a few years ago more or less for a lark, never did sit the Stage 2 and onwards, but may yet get round to it...

I was most worried about the oral/theory part, because identifying straights (beyond the obvious) in jars isn't my strength, never having fed them! Also, I was worried that they would ask questions about things where I disagree with certain aspects, where management techniques either have changed or where there are different ways of doing things, for different reasons. I grew up in an area with about three parallel cultures of horsemanship, so am fairly open-minded. Thankfully, such questions didn't really appear. I was browsing in the Manual again recently, and was a little taken aback at how out-of-date some of it seemed.

In the practical bit, I was given a treeless saddle, so I had to go ask for an appropriate girth for it. I lost one point for calling a plastic curry comb "rubber". Slip of the tongue; don't think anyone took it seriously! There was one lady, clearly experienced, who had nerves so horrible that she couldn't remember what the hock is called.

The ridden bit was fine. One horse I had didn't want to stay in canter and broke to trot on his circle. For some reason, I ended up leading the ride most of the time. Our instructor had said that people regularly riding different horses, e.g. at a riding school, have an advantage in this portion. I did once swap my short stick over as though it were a dressage stick (just force of habit, as I rarely carry a short stick day-to-day), but no-one saw that, so it didn't happen! :p .

JustKickOn

Visit site
Great post NT :)

sorry just incase anyone reads this doing stage 2 it isn't 2 jumps! I did mine recently and it was a few jumps on one horse then a whole course on another!

Yep that's correct. You'll warm up over one or two fences, and maybe a grid, then swap horses and jump a course. Maximum 2'6".

Don't forget you need your riding and road safety in order to progress to stage 2 riding though!