BHS vs UKCC

Rebeccak

New User
Visit site
I've been looking through the forum but all the UKCC/BHS posts seem outdated. I have a few questions as I'm trying to decide on which one I should follow. I want to become an instructor (most likely freelance) but currently teach up to Novice riders at an ABRS approved yard.

1) To complete the UKCC level 2 you must have your BHS stage 2 anyway, so is it worth just sticking to BHS?

2) Is the BHS really outdated? I'm in the midst of my level 1 and so far they seem to be quite accepting of answers so long as you can explain why.

3) Does anyone know the prices of each UKCC level? I can't seem to find them anywhere (it'll be through ABRS)

4) Do you prefer BHS or UKCC?

ruth83

Visit site
In my experience, the UKCC is only beneficial if it is discipline specific and level 3+

The BHS system has been revamped and modernised. Some will say it is still not as modern as they think it should be, but it is definitely no longer all jute rugs and sewn on bandages.

In general yards, the BHS system is most clearly recognised. UKCC focusses on coaching alone, there is no assessment of riding or stable management capability. Overall the costs are comparable. The cost for assessment through Pony Club are £150 for level 1, £300 for level 2 - but most of these have mandatory training courses pre assessment. The PC course are £500 and £650 respectively.

I hold both BHS and UKCC (generic equestrian) qualifications. I find the BHS ones more sought after, especially for riding school/riding club and similar work. Unfortunately, far too often, freelance clients couldn't give a monkeys what (if any) qualifications you hold.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any further

EventingMum

Visit site
In my experience, the UKCC is only beneficial if it is discipline specific and level 3+

The BHS system has been revamped and modernised. Some will say it is still not as modern as they think it should be, but it is definitely no longer all jute rugs and sewn on bandages.

In general yards, the BHS system is most clearly recognised. UKCC focusses on coaching alone, there is no assessment of riding or stable management capability. Overall the costs are comparable. The cost for assessment through Pony Club are £150 for level 1, £300 for level 2 - but most of these have mandatory training courses pre assessment. The PC course are £500 and £650 respectively.

I hold both BHS and UKCC (generic equestrian) qualifications. I find the BHS ones more sought after, especially for riding school/riding club and similar work. Unfortunately, far too often, freelance clients couldn't give a monkeys what (if any) qualifications you hold.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any further

Totally agree with this, I find the same. The BHS qualifications cover much more, I know those with UKCC qualifications who don't have the necessary knowledge to pass BHS Stage 2.

Littlebear

Visit site
I did the bhs exams and they have been what I have needed to cover riding schools not ukcc, I am freelance but cover several riding schools, I would have struggled with only the ukcc. Most private people couldn't care less what you have to be honest most people book me through having been recommended or through seeing me ride/ compete or whatever - nobody private has ever asked me what my qualifications are.

teapot

Visit site
The UKCC is dying out - the BHS now no longer support them the way they used to. The new BHS Pathways are cracking and the teaching exams now require A LOT of what the UKCC did. I cannot tell you how much the BHS exam system has changed, both content wise and how the exams are run/organised. Please try to ignore the 'outdated' view as they really have done their best to change this, and from personal experience they have!

From an employment point of view, BHS trumps UKCC every time.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
teapot how do you see this changing the registered trainers available for the affiliated disciplines?
at the moment only UKCC holders can be registered trainers for BD for example. This is annoying if you want to try out for the regional teams etc as you have to do ridden training sessions with recognised or accredited coaches with UKCC.
I train with an FBHS but as he's not done UKCC i can't count it towards my regional training.

teapot

Visit site
teapot how do you see this changing the registered trainers available for the affiliated disciplines?
at the moment only UKCC holders can be registered trainers for BD for example. This is annoying if you want to try out for the regional teams etc as you have to do ridden training sessions with recognised or accredited coaches with UKCC.
I train with an FBHS but as he's not done UKCC i can't count it towards my regional training.

I can see it dividing up the world of coaches and having a knock on effect if I'm honest with people going down one route OR the other. The old II/new Stage 4 coach complete costs around £1000 in total for all five exams, the BD UKCC Level 3 costs around £2000 for a training course and exam, and no riding! If you are a Stage 4 coach, why would you spend a further £2000 just to be an affiliated organisation recognised coach? Is there much benefit to it?

That said it wouldn't surprise me if people start only doing their UKCC training though BD/BE/BS (as I believe they all offer the training for all levels of UKCC in the relevent discipline) and ignoring the BHS pathway, as it may seem easier (no riding, plus the training courses and exams are linked).

UKCC only coaches would struggle to find employment in the big where to train centres, who are the most likely places to have riders to the level they are used to coaching. I live in hope that maybe one day BE/BS/BD, and PC and RDA work WITH the BHS when it comes to coaching and training. The BHS comes in for a lot of stick, but the new Stage 4 coaching exam (the old ITT) is incrediblely modern and forward thinking across all three phases.

ruth83

Visit site

It is hugely frustrating for those of us who hold BHS and/or non discipline specific UKCC.
As has been mentioned, the UKCC level 3 through BD costs around £2000. Technically, I am eligible for direct entry for the UKCC level 3 assessment in any discipline. I enquired to BD and was given confirmation that this is the case, but I would need to wait for a stand alone assessment day which was not linked to any training. I asked how often they hold these and was told they have never held one!!