Big decision is paying off!

Wimbles

Visit site
So a few of you in here will possibily remember my exploits with Dangerous Brian, my crippling lack of confidence and the extremely slow recovery from my injury.

I have tried so, so hard all winter to try and conquer my fears. I've ridden in the most horrendous cold and dark nights but as Spring came I realised, sadly that I was no further along, in fact my confidence levels were actually lower and this in turn was starting to affect Brian. Open spaces terrified me and trotting over a pole on the floor left me in tears. I didn't have the wonderful Tiger to show me the way, my fabulous horseball horse Sam had endless niggling issues that put him out of action and after over 30 years in the saddle I started to think that maybe riding wasn't for me anymore.

My yard owners have been incredible through all of this and on some of my darkest days, the light shining from the yard down the lane was still my complete salvation. The topic of maybe looking at getting a schoolmaster came up and it got me thinking and then all of a sudden everything took off!

By chance I saw a message from one of the ladies in our ROR dressage group asking if anyone knew of any tall thoroughbreds that were available. After much soul searching I replied offering for her to come and meet Brian which she did and even through a foot abscess and bad behaviour she saw the same potential that I do.

About the same time my YO sent me a link to a horse for sale nearby. It just so happened that this particular horse was everything that I wasn't looking for. I didn't want another grey, certainly not a mare and she was a big clumpy Irish Draught, very different to my TB's. I soon forgot about the horse and tentatively started having a look what else was around.

My YO isn't one to let a good idea go though, so somehow she convinced me to go and have a look at the grey mare as she was literally just a few miles away.

Like a sullen child I stood in the stable with the horse looking at it's hogged mane, huge feet and big head not even wanting to get on. YO rode her first saying how wonderful she was but I was unconvinced. I grudgingly and nervously swung my leg over the saddle and then something amazing happened. Within a few minutes I was cantering round the arena grinning like a fool and then from nowhere we popped a little fence. The onlookers sat there with mouths open!

Fast forward four short weeks, Brian has gone off to start his new adventure and Koko is fully installed. We have completed a small hunter trial and last weekend I jumped my first competitive showjumping round since my accident as we completed a local one day event, coming second.

I now realise that she is just the most beautiful horse in the world and what she has done for not only my riding confidence but also for my own self confidence is quite staggering. I feel like a different person and literally cannot wait to finish work to go and ride.

Next Wednesday we are off to riding camp at Keysoe and I just cannot wait, amazing considering I have been dreading it all winter!

I think sometimes that it's easy to forget that we spend all this time and money on a hobby that is meant to be fun and I had definitely lost this.

j1ffy

Visit site
What a fabulous story! Only one thing is missing - photos!!

I think this is a great example of why it's not always right to persevere with the wrong horse. Often the right person is out there for that horse, as well as the right horse being out there for you! Well done on being brave and moving on.

Wimbles

Visit site
EvyVfjO.jpg

UGUN15L.jpg

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Brilliant news. Well done for cracking on. She is gorgeous. Irish draughts really are the best horses EVER !! Hope you have lots more fun, and don't forget to post updates.

Crackerz

Visit site
What a brilliant thread!!

So pleased for you, a massive change but it's really worked out for the best! You will thank this mare forever :D

dixie

Visit site
That's a great story and shows that we all need to keep an open mind when looking for horses. She is a beauty too.

Sophire

Visit site
Oh she's really very beautiful. Well done you for making the decision! Good luck with your future endeavours with her!

Bernster

Visit site
Wow, what a story. I love your description of you being sullen and now wanting to try or like her. So glad you did though and lovely to hear how you are getting on now. And that Brian has found a new home. All very serendipitous!

And she’s gorgeous. I bet you love her big old feet and head now! I sympathise on the grey thing though. I am resigned to endless bouts of washing when we are off to pony parties. IDs really are a marvellous sort.

tatty_v

Visit site
She's absolutely gorgeous! This was the loveliest post to read, so fantastic to see the effect she's had in such a short time. Congratulations!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh Wimbles! This is great! I was wondering where you'd been :( She's so gorgeous and I'm so pleased for you :) :)

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
This has literally just had me sobbing my socks off sat at my desk!!!

This is me too - glad to know I am not entirely nuts - or at least I have a companion!

Wimbles What an amazing journey and well done to you! What a beautiful girl you have too, worth her weight in gold!

I must say I have a massive soft spot for Irish draughts, they are just so easy to do anything with/on.

I hope you have many years of happiness together and lots of shows/fun/stories to share with us here too :)

Embo

Visit site
This is fantastic, a really uplifting story - and one that I can totally relate to as I've been there myself!

Well done on making a difficult but brave decision to let your other horse go. Lovely to see you having fun and enjoying riding again! That's what it's all about!

SEL

Visit site
Blaming the teary eyes on my hayfever! What a fabulous update, very happy for you.

Love it when fate takes a hand and it all works out so brilliantly :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I'm pleased that you had the courage to make the change and it has worked so well for you. Hope it inspires others who are no longer enjoying it.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
What a lovely story! And fab photos - I can't see big feet and huge head, I see one gorgeous mare and one confident, ecstatic owner! So glad it has worked out well for everyone.

Kat

Visit site
She is very very beautiful!

And well done, fantastic that you have conquered your nerves! Really lovely post

Flyermc

Visit site
well done, she's lovely :)

wheres tiger?

i lost Flyer in October, last year :( its very strange being horseless after so many years

Nicnac

Visit site
What a wonderful uplifting post. So pleased for you and agree - she is gorgeous! Grey ID's are really the very best :)

eahotson

Visit site
What a fabulous story.I discovered a few years ago that any horse you enjoyed riding would be beautiful to you and that is all that matters.

claracanter

Visit site
Fantastic. Your story sent shovers up my spine. You must be chuffed to bits and isn't incredible how quickly you got your confidence back. So pleased for you