'Big Name' in NH kills horse

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I may be sceptical but the writer certainly writes with the style of a fiction author. The contact address is not in this country but somewhere "NV". The methods of training and talk of "big barn" don't seem to fit with this country either. I'm not sure about the authenticity.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Finally in 1992, after so many years of successful but dictatorial horse handling, knowing there had to be other options, Rebekka discovered Pat Parelli in a clinic. That was the beginning of what there is today. A life-long quest for continuously expanding knowledge on horses, and developing what she and her husband Mark now call "CentaurGenics™ " – Horse-Human-Harmony in action.

The above is an extract from Rebekka's biography on the same website.

Enough said.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Whilst the writing style is a little overblown, it does not seem to be impossible that this is indeed a true story. One wonders how many more there are......

Jennyharvey

Visit site
Finally in 1992, after so many years of successful but dictatorial horse handling, knowing there had to be other options, Rebekka discovered Pat Parelli in a clinic. That was the beginning of what there is today. A life-long quest for continuously expanding knowledge on horses, and developing what she and her husband Mark now call "CentaurGenics™ " – Horse-Human-Harmony in action.

The above is an extract from Rebekka's biography on the same website.

Enough said.

I do hope your not implying pat parelli killed her horse. She also cridits him at the bottom of her biography, along with other trainers.

I think it would be silly to accuse anyone without knowing the facts.

minkymoo

Visit site
I *think* what Double_choc_lab is insinuating is that it *may* be a Pro Parelli Person trying to rubbish A.N Other Big Name Trainer... If not DCL, apologies, but that is what it seems like to me anyhow.

stroppy

Visit site
I do hope your not implying pat parelli killed her horse. She also cridits him at the bottom of her biography, along with other trainers.

After what that complete **** did to 'Catwalk' i wouldn't be at all surprised if he had Killed a horse, Pat Parelli and all associated with him should not be allowed anywhere near any animal full stop!!

Jennyharvey

Visit site
After what that complete **** did to 'Catwalk' i wouldn't be at all surprised if he had Killed a horse, Pat Parelli and all associated with him should not be allowed anywhere near any animal full stop!!

I understand why you feel this way about him and his followers. I dont much like the guy or his wife, much either.

But again, i dont think its fair to name names just yet.

MENTORS
Rebekka credits her current success to folks such as Mark Rashid, Pat Parelli, Linda Tellington-Jones, Tina Hutton, Lynn Salvatori Palm, Kyra Kirklund and John Lyons, to name a few. Books from folks like Sally Swift’s "Centered Riding" and "Problem Solving" by Marty Martin have influenced her teachings. Currently her most profound influence has been found in Mark Rashid, author of "A Good Horse Is Never A Bad Color", "Considering The Horse" and "Horses Never Lie: The Art of Passive Leadership". In him and his teachings, she has found even more meaningful and clearer ways to communicate with horses on ever-higher levels. Mark Rashid clinics are brought to Reno and sponsored by CentaurGenics®.

If she credits this lot, i dont think any of these people killed her horse.

caramel

Visit site
Poor horse :( Totally uncalled for. I'm very much anti-parelli, don't agree with it and what happened with Catwalk put me off for life. People think I should try it with my horse but I keep saying no and making excuses. I do however respect those at the yard who do use it (many do.).
Without being disrespectful these methods do sound parelli like. May not Pat himself but one of his students perhaps??? There's plenty of them about.

Natch

Visit site
I didn't pick up on the word "she" (is it really in there in relation to the trainer and not the informer?) but I can think of a big name which is a "he", would fit the bill and isn't in her list of credits. Some may say he is the founder of all NH. Sad if it is true, but there's not a lot to say this isn't all the product of someone's fantasy.

I understand why you feel this way about him and his followers. I dont much like the guy or his wife, much either.

But again, i dont think its fair to name names just yet.

MENTORS
Rebekka credits her current success to folks such as Mark Rashid, Pat Parelli, Linda Tellington-Jones, Tina Hutton, Lynn Salvatori Palm, Kyra Kirklund and John Lyons, to name a few. Books from folks like Sally Swift’s "Centered Riding" and "Problem Solving" by Marty Martin have influenced her teachings. Currently her most profound influence has been found in Mark Rashid, author of "A Good Horse Is Never A Bad Color", "Considering The Horse" and "Horses Never Lie: The Art of Passive Leadership". In him and his teachings, she has found even more meaningful and clearer ways to communicate with horses on ever-higher levels. Mark Rashid clinics are brought to Reno and sponsored by CentaurGenics®.

If she credits this lot, i dont think any of these people killed her horse.

spaniel

Visit site
Obvious who this is about. Wont name them but anyone who has any knowledge of the methods and the 'competition' mentioned in this piece will easily work out who this husband and wife team are.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Terribly sad. I doubt this is an anomaly. Trainers are paid to get results. How they get the results are not often questioned. At least Matisse is no longer in hell.

Matisse did not commit suicide. A very irresponsible comment made by the author, I feel. His demise was due to the actions of the handler and if they had an ounce of integrity, they will know this.

Polo*Pony

Visit site
Very, very sad. :(

I had a Parelli lesson with my gelding once - had to stop it after ten minutes as I was crying! :eek: A bit pathetic maybe, but I couldn't take watching my lovely, sweet-natured horse being kicked and having mud thrown in his face to make him "know his place" when all he wanted to do was sniff her hand - he is a very affectionate pony and does like to be close to people, not to nibble or pester but just to be with. I hate the thought that she tried to make something he saw as 'safe' into a 'permission only' zone. (If he did bite or kick, I suppose I might have been a bit more understanding with her methods).

CathySirett

Visit site
erm mymare -- it is clear that whatever sentiments anyone may hold about pat parelli, this event is nothing to do with him.

the trainer is specified as "her" at several points -- and elsewhere in the site the writer includes many people among those she supports and admires and PP is in that list

just to clarify

the story itself is horrible -- and goes to show that WHATEVER type of training people SAY they do -- youcan only really know by going to SEE them in action

Cathy

mymare

Visit site
erm mymare -- it is clear that whatever sentiments anyone may hold about pat parelli, this event is nothing to do with him.

the trainer is specified as "her" at several points -- and elsewhere in the site the writer includes many people among those she supports and admires and PP is in that list

erm Cathy - where did I say it did?? If you read my comment I said I was ALREADY anti-parelli! And how DOES he get allowed to continue??

unbalanced

Visit site
Very, very sad. :(

I had a Parelli lesson with my gelding once - had to stop it after ten minutes as I was crying! :eek: A bit pathetic maybe, but I couldn't take watching my lovely, sweet-natured horse being kicked and having mud thrown in his face to make him "know his place" when all he wanted to do was sniff her hand - he is a very affectionate pony and does like to be close to people, not to nibble or pester but just to be with. I hate the thought that she tried to make something he saw as 'safe' into a 'permission only' zone. (If he did bite or kick, I suppose I might have been a bit more understanding with her methods).

Polo*Pony, sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience with someone doing that to your horse. I would be fascinated to learn who the instructor was as those methods are not what I understand Parelli to be about. We have a Parelli instructor at our yard and she is all patience, understanding and communication. I also do Parelli and I can't imagine ever kicking my horse or throwing ANYTHING at her. If the person that taught you was a Parelli Professional you should make a complaint about them.
I hope you and your horse are ok now and that your relationship is stronger for your experiences. Well done for standing up for your horse and not putting up with what this so called professional was trying to make you do.

Tinypony

Visit site
Why are people talking about Parelli? The writer is talking about an NH trainer, and if you read other parts of the site clearly endorses Parelli, so what's Parelli got to do with it?
NH does not equal Parelli.

Tinypony

Visit site
..and that just makes me even more anti-parelli. Poor horse.

Why is he allowed to continue?
I don't know why this would make anyone even more anti-Parelli as the writer is clearly not talking about a Parelli trainer and certainly doesn't appear to be anti-Parelli themselves. That's what I meant...

Double_choc_lab

Visit site

I think it would be silly to accuse anyone without knowing the facts.

I don't think in any way I was accusing Pat P of killing this horse. I think that was more the original OP. I had mistakenly thought that NH meant "National Hunt" and that's why I was saying it wasn't in this country as the methods of training didn't fit with out racing training.. I'm afriad I'm not into Natural Horsemanship but having seen all the threads on here I think enough has been said of Pat P and their methods.

I still maintain that the style of writing is more of a fictional author.