Bit help

lovecharles

Visit site
17year old 16.2hh IDxTB needs some brakes! When his old owners came to see him the other day, they went pale when i told them I ride him in a snaffle. I alwasy thought he was a bit strng :p
anyway, they said to get him in a Kimblewick with chain and a market harborough.
confused.gif
i have never ridden in anything other than snaffle and cavesson or falsh noseband. Any information on either pieces of tack and how to use them will be much appriciated!

CastleMouse

Visit site
A Kimblewick might be an option, but certainly not with a market harborough which is a training aid!

What exactly does he do? Does him put his head down or throw it up in the air etc.?

mazziek

Visit site
ditto, above, who needs the brakes them or you? i once sold a horse i rode in a snaffle when i went to see it year later it was ridden in dutch gag at bottom! same thing they had no brakes! do you use a jointed or straight bar? maybe using a straight bar might help but sounds like you dont need anything

Persephone

Visit site
I didn't think a Market Harborough was strictly a training aid?

Isn't it legal in BSJA? I agree I wouldn't want to use it with anything other than a snaffle though.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Please don't use a kimblewick with a market harborough......as you will always be riding on the curb. Try and borrow a bit from some friends or a bit bank to see if you have better brakes.

Persephone

Visit site
Can you have lessons to teach him to work in an outline? I don't think wanting an outline is a reason to use a Market Harborough tbh.

In what way is he strong? Does he take hold or ignore?

lauraandjack

Visit site
There's no use putting a training aid on a horse to make him work in an outline.

Sure, he'll put his head in the right position, but he won't be working through from behind.

Personally I'd experiment with a few bits and find one he's happy in, then get some basic schooling going before resorting to strapping his head down where you want it.

How about a hanging cheek snaffle? Gave my boy just the extra bit of brakes I needed.

lovecharles

Visit site
i have already tried. my instructor couldn't do it and his old owners couldn't either. it's to bring his head down as he holds it up so high.

he takes hold.

Persephone

Visit site
Maybe you could give a loose ring waterford snaffle and possibly a running martingale a try in safe circumstances?

If neccessary you could add in the market harborough, but I bet he doesn't really need it.

Out of interest what was he in when you tried him?

Have you ridden him in a Kimblewick? It does have a head lowering effect. Maybe you are a more secure rider than they were and that will be enough.

I assume his teeth and back are up to date?

lovecharles

Visit site
He was always ridden in a kimblewick with his old owners (of 8 years and 3 years)
i tried him in a snaffle but he was a bit of a rescue so wasn't very lively as he is now (and how i like - so no 'change his feed etc' please)

i have never tried him or any other horse in anything else than a snaffle.

he has a very long neck and the running martingales never seem to give him enough room.

and yep, up to date.

i will try a kimblewick on its own.

dopeesophee

Visit site
hard work and hard work

my mare came to me and was ridden in a cheltenham gag
i now ride her in a snaffle at all times
yes shes strong, and i probs will change to a different snaffle for xc

but she works in an outline now, and prefers to work that way

lots of lessons, a consistent contact and lots of pushing forwards, getting him to flex both ways will lighten him in both hands and should help with the control

i can now canter her out on a hack in a french link full cheek snaffle with keepers and no martingale

Persephone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Generally kimblewicks are used with a curb.

Without one I guess the action is similar to a hanging cheek snaffle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bit (haha) of a hijack.

I am always confused by the hanging cheek. I was of the opinion that they give no poll pressure. Am I right? I know it comes up often and I thought it was a bit of a fallacy. Surely if it gave poll pressure you couldn't use it under BD rules?

Agree with the Kimblewick without a chain statement. I would think it would be best to go for a Uttexeter (or whatever it is!) to give the variation of curb pressure.

monkeybum13

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I am always confused by the hanging cheek. I was of the opinion that they give no poll pressure. Am I right? I know it comes up often and I thought it was a bit of a fallacy. Surely if it gave poll pressure you couldn't use it under BD rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hanging cheek does give poll pressure. It is normally used by horses that are that bit strong for a snaffle but do no need a bit that is too strong. It is BD legal and I have seen many people riding in them (myself included)
grin.gif

Persephone

Visit site
I use a KK tranz angled doodah on my mare. I have three bits with exactly the same mouthpiece but different cheeks.

She wears a full cheek for flatwork and SJ because it gives me good turns, a hanging cheek for lunging because it doesn't matter and a universal for XC because I need brakes more than steering.

I personally have never noticed any difference in flexion between the full cheek and the hanging cheek. The full cheek just gives me more accurate turns.

monkeybum13

Visit site
it's funny you say you havent noticed a different in flexion becuase i didnt notice any on one of my boys so stuck to full cheek for steering but then on my mare there was a huge difference. I think i depends on the horse however my mare is a funny one for bitting she has a hanging cheek for flatwork/hacking, dutch gag on the 1st of the small holes for SJ and then onto the bottom hole for XC/hunting, she is the only horse I have ridden needing something other than a snaffle

Persephone

Visit site
How odd lol!

My mare is very soft and happy to flex so you would think I would see a difference!

Perhaps we should start a new post and leave poor Lovecharles in peace lol! It would be interesting to see other opinions.