Bit of an 18+ Question...

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks guys for the... encouragement? ? I ventured into the darker side of these toys looking for something sturdier and I have found the one in the below photo.. I won’t even tell you the name of the website it is advertised on because believe me you don’t want to know ?

it looks simple enough to make - just bend some 6mm steel rod and then fashion a handle out of rubber or something else that won’t impale me if I fall off... wish me luck.

I absolutely will report back on any funny looks... would leather tassels be pushing my luck? ?

B84BC25B-3462-416C-AFE6-2DD2621593A3.jpeg

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks guys for the... encouragement? ? I ventured into the darker side of these toys looking for something sturdier and I have found the one in the below photo.. I won’t even tell you the name of the website it is advertised on because believe me you don’t want to know ?

it looks simple enough to make - just bend some 6mm steel rod and then fashion a handle out of rubber or something else that won’t impale me if I fall off... wish me luck.

I absolutely will report back on any funny looks... would leather tassels be pushing my luck? ?

View attachment 49590

You definitely need tassels. Oh yes. Red ones? Sparkly ones? And that just made me think - wouldn't tassels also then make it kinda Spanish-y? So ycbm should probably get one too to be all matchy-matchy with the bridle she definitely will get at some point soon. Or it could go via HHO Secret Santa one year...

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thanks guys for the... encouragement...
would leather tassels be pushing my luck? ?

View attachment 49590

Everything looks better with tassels!

f2VD00F_d.webp

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
would leather tassels be pushing my luck? ?

View attachment 49590

Depends on where you're thinking of attaching the tassels ? But my friend Babs ( who knows about these things ) says that , with a bit of practice , you will be able to use them to indicate right/left etc to other road users , without taking your hands off the reins .

Tarragon

Visit site
I used to carry a piece of rope around with me for a bit and found it very helpful when opening gates. You could use it to loop over the gate latch to help pull it open and over the gate itself to keep it open. As it was just a piece of rope, you could easily stow it away, and sometimes it came in use as a makeshift (and cheap!) whip-wop.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Why is there an anvil in that photo?

Exactly how dark was this place?

It's an Etsy shop called SteamForgeBerlin. Lots of leather and metal, but none of it looks hand forged. That is a tiny little bench-top anvil that is OK for a small workshop, but no good for serious forging.

The idea of bending a piece of 6mm round bar into a loop is good. If you manage to get the ends straight and parallel, you could make a wooden handle, drill two 6mm holes and glue the ends of the loop in there with epoxy.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I reckon the discipline loop is going to be disappointingly floppy and useless (not that I know).
How did I miss this thread? Surely the point of the paddle is to prevent "disapointingly floppy and useless" Oh dear, I did click on the link, hope it doesn't give OH ideas, we're both far too old for that malarkey!