Bitch in season - out for walk. I'm furious

hardtimes

Visit site
I have three dogs - 2 lurcher bitches, both spayed, and a castrated Patterdale terrier. Was out for a walk today on common, both lurchers off lead, Patterdale on lead as he tends to disappear down rabbit holes etc. We were approached by a woman with a small dog on a lead who started shouting and hitting one of my lurchers with a stick. My dog had not paid her or her dog any attention, but the woman starting yelling at me to control MY dog as HER dog was in season. I pointed out that my dog was nowhere near her dog, and was a bitch in any case. I was told that my dog should be on a lead at all times and it was very worrying for her as dogs tended to follow her home. I didn't know whether to laugh at her or hit her. I just told her that I would take action if she touched my dog in any way.
Would anybody here walk their dog in a public place when it's in season?

Fools Motto

Visit site
TBH yes, I have walked a bitch on heat. I can't confine her to the garden only for 3 weeks! Slightly different as it was on a farm, but said farm does have rights of way through.
However, I have full control of the dog, whether on lead or not, ALWAYS within eye sight. If any other dog was seen, then on lead, to heel. If said other dog was interested then I just make sure 'he' couldn't do anything, and make mine sit down and wait for other owner, but would certainly not be hitting it and yelling abuse at other owners!

Mine is speyed now, but still gets male unwanted attention! She must have a sexy bum!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Lots of people do and tbh, if I had an entire bitch, I would but it would be on the lead. I can't imagine where people should walk a in season bitch that would go crazy if not walked? My pack get antsy by 10am, so not walking one at all would be mad! It's a bit like having a DA dog: someone told me I ought not to walk him in public. Perhaps I should walk him on the moon at midnight! :rolleyes:

The woman should not have hit your dog, I guess she thought it was a male? Other owners can be a nightmare! She is stupid if she had her bitch off lead and why approach you? I'd be avoiding others desperately if I had an in season dog, but I'd still be walking it.

PorkChop

Visit site
I do take my bitches out if they are in season, however mostly on my own farm, though there are alot of public footpaths.

They are completely in control and close to me. Though I wouldn't take them to a busy public place, I don't think that would be fair.

PorkChop

Visit site
Btw I completely feel for you, I wouldn't have been happy either. It is up to her to control her dog, she does sound like a complete plonker :p

Nicnac

Visit site
Of course bitches in season should be walked :rolleyes:

You wouldn't not compete/hack a mare in season just in case you came across a stallion.

Stupid woman for going after your dog though - for that you have every right to be upset.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Yes, I do walk my in-heat bitches in public places and off-lead BUT I also keep them under control and don't let them tease others. I'd get a bit sharp if someone's dogs came over and hassled mine when I'd recalled them to sit next to me to avoid a situation, but that would be the case if they were on the lead or off it, in-heat or out of it. Given how limited some other people's control is over their dogs, I do try to stick to the farm tracks and fields or go out when very few other people are likely to be about. It doesn't sound like your dogs were doing anything wrong here though...

ladyearl

vvv
When mine was in season I walked her away from busy places and early in the morning and later on. I kept her on an extending lead too. Wouldn't keep her in for three weeks but tried to minimize the risks. I gave her some herbal stuff and used bitch spray too but tbh not convinced that works...

Echo24

Visit site
It is incredibly irresponsible to walk a bitch in season, let alone let it off the lead! It surprises me the fact people feel the need to walk a bitch in season - there are plenty of things you can do in a home to keep a dog mentally stimulated that does more than a long boring walk. If it's an inconvenience keeping your bitch housebound when it is season then you should really consider neutering, or opt for a male!

Of course if you have a great set up with private land where your bitch would never meet another dog, then that's understandable.

OP if I was you I'd have been fuming!

hardtimes

Visit site
This woman walked out of her way to attack my dog, which was passing her without paying any attention, apart from a glance and brief tale wag. I think she should expect unwanted attention from other dogs if she walks on that particular common, about 100 acres and where people go to let their dogs off lead as it's safe. There are other areas she could go where dogs are kept on lead.

Annette4

Visit site
Tia would destroy my house if I didn't walk her in season....but she only goes around the streets and mine tend to go out very early or very late so dont meet other dogs. If another dog showed no interest I'm not bothered but if it was hassling her I'd be miffed but that applies all the time not just in season.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
OP does say that the in season bitch was on lead, and presumably as the woman hit the lurcher with a stick the lurcher had gone over, so whereas I think the owner of the bitch acted unreasonably, perhaps its a case of 50/50 here.
I wouldn't walk a bitch at the height of season, but I do have fields to walk in. You certainly can't keep a bitch confined throughout their season, people show bitches in season in single sex classes!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
When mine was in season I walked her away from busy places and early in the morning and later on. I kept her on an extending lead too. Wouldn't keep her in for three weeks but tried to minimize the risks. I gave her some herbal stuff and used bitch spray too but tbh not convinced that works...

When we had a stud dog the anti-mate spray was like Chanel No 5 to him, he could smell it at a 100 yards.:p

hardtimes

Visit site
OP does say that the in season bitch was on lead, and presumably as the woman hit the lurcher with a stick the lurcher had gone over, so whereas I think the owner of the bitch acted unreasonably, perhaps its a case of 50/50 here.
I wouldn't walk a bitch at the height of season, but I do have fields to walk in. You certainly can't keep a bitch confined throughout their season, people show bitches in season in single sex classes!

Err no, my dog didn't deviate from the track she was on, the other dog owner walked over to my dog to hit her. It's quite a hilly area with narrow tracks through heather and other undergrowth, so this woman had to walk about 12 - 15 feet out of her way to get to my dog.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Err no, my dog didn't deviate from the track she was on, the other dog owner walked over to my dog to hit her. It's quite a hilly area with narrow tracks through heather and other undergrowth, so this woman had to walk about 12 - 15 feet out of her way to get to my dog.

Ah sorry,in that case not sure what the womans problem was.:p

ladyearl

vvv
When we had a stud dog the anti-mate spray was like Chanel No 5 to him, he could smell it at a 100 yards.:p

Yeah I heard that from another person who shows - she said dog's ears would prick up when they got that scent. I never met another person when she was in season thankfully. I think it would have been cruel and unmanageable to keep her (Border Collie) off for three weeks but I did try to be responsible. ps neutered now and that was always the plan!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I walk mine when she is in season but always up the mountain behind my house and to be honest very rarely see anybody else up there anyway so not really a huge problem. She did come into season once while we were on a caravan holiday in West Wales and that was a bit of a nightmare but kept her on a lead at all times and just had to be really careful. Lots of dogs came near her but I would never hit out at someone else's dog.

_jac_

Visit site
I have 3 entire bitches and 1 entire male. I walk mine week 1 and 3 when in season, but they are walked around a local industrial estate where no one walks their dogs. Week 2 they are housebound and never give me any hassle about it.

I have met a few in season bitches with my boy, but he will only bother a bitch if she is ovulating, and thankfully he is a good lad who doesn't go against my wishes.

I think as your bitch didn't approach the other bitch at all then the woman is a bit of a fruit loop tbh, and best avoided!

People do walk their in season bitches, but I do wish they would choose the areas wisely, mine go directly into the car and off to a concrete area, I don't want males following scent to my home and possibly being injured on roads in pursuit of my girls .

hardtimes

Visit site
I have 3 entire bitches and 1 entire male. I walk mine week 1 and 3 when in season, but they are walked around a local industrial estate where no one walks their dogs. Week 2 they are housebound and never give me any hassle about it.

I have met a few in season bitches with my boy, but he will only bother a bitch if she is ovulating, and thankfully he is a good lad who doesn't go against my wishes.

I think as your bitch didn't approach the other bitch at all then the woman is a bit of a fruit loop tbh, and best avoided!

People do walk their in season bitches, but I do wish they would choose the areas wisely, mine go directly into the car and off to a concrete area, I don't want males following scent to my home and possibly being injured on roads in pursuit of my girls .

Thank you, you have written exactly what I wanted to write about this woman yesterday, but at the time was too annoyed to think clearly. :)

satinbaze

Visit site
I pavement pound when girls are in season. Boring but they do have to b exercised. I don't go on the park as there are a lot of our of control dogs in my area.

Becky&Ollie-x

Visit site
Theres this one guy in my street who will persistantly hits my ruby dog if we are out on walks (live right by hills / fields/ tracks)

Now I know my dogs (or dog rather) should be better behaved - Roxie and Sooks are brill and ignore other dogs unless told they acan go play, but I have to check each field is "safe" for Ruby to play (greyhound/whippet mix) as she wants to be EVERYTHINGS best friend. She will run over to say hello and only recall when shes had a sniff, she is never aggressive always just playful, and everyone in our street knows this, so those who have socialble dogs just let them play and those without will choose oposite field as to not tempt her, theres this one guy tho whos dogs is lovely (if its his son they all play fine) but him he picks up his dog n hits / kicks ruby which just excites her even more. Surely he would just go on the other field if Roo causes too much of a problem??? but no EVERY time he chooses ours then shouts at me fo rhe rbehaviour - I get shes naughty and should come back but im having to face the facts shes a nosey cow and wont - I cant only walk her on a lead as she needs a sprint round. I try to keep eye out for him and bring her into heel if I see him but cant walk the full root looking behind me.

Basically - I know how u feel. I am outraged (hes done it 6 or 7 times now!) thing is my OH plays rough with her, and she mouths (not bites lol) and I know fo r afatc he he waves his arms roudn her face n starts slapping her she will probs think hes playing they Im guessing he will request shes PTS for being "dangerous" dog.

RANT OVER.

:D xx

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I used to when I had a bitch. I had this conversation with a woman the other day. Her entire male dog was off the lead and ******ed off after two bitches in season (both bitches were on the lead). She says it's the unwritten rule if your bitch is in season you don't walk it :confused: I said I thought the unwritten rule was to have control of your dogs :p

Twizzel

Visit site
I walk mine when in season although at quieter times of the day. Always on a lead. My thoughts- if you can't recall your entire dog off the lead, keep it on a lead too. All those who are saying don't walk your bitch in season, try telling a high energy breed like mine that she is housebound for 3 weeks, she goes loopy after being in the house for 4 hours even with mental stimulation...