bitches burn?

Luci07

Visit site
Now I have 2 bitches my garden is taking a hammering. I take the dogs out first thing, lunchtime (normally dog walker) and most evenings as well when up at the yard. I did see something about some sort of rock in the water but having just googled "bitches burn"... well lets just say the answers were nothing to do with dogs!.

Staffie boy is on Hills mobility, girls are on JWB (senior and puppy respectively). All get nature diet meat as well plus the requiste liver biscuits, bones and dental chews.

My garden is a long garden so fencing off around the conservatory doors isn't an option.

Ideas?!

soloabe

Visit site
You can get a food supplement instead of water.

Don't fertalize the grass.

Get out there and spray it down with the hose right after she goes.

Ahh I'm so glad me have a sandpit for peeing :D

willhegofirst

Visit site
We have two large bitches, and one medium one, new lawn in the spring Dog rocks were no use what so ever!!! Only thing that seems to work is to dilute the urine with a large amount of water.

Luci07

Visit site
We have two large bitches, and one medium one, new lawn in the spring Dog rocks were no use what so ever!!! Only thing that seems to work is to dilute the urine with a large amount of water.

b**ger!. oh well, will have to follow the girls outside and pour water over where they wee now then!

lula

Visit site
luci, this is a subject close to my heart! my bitch would leave burns on my lawn and if the unsightly burns werent bad enough the nitrogen in the urine acts as a fertiliser around the edges of the burn so you end up with a bright green ring of lush grass highlighting the dead patch - i despaired as being a bit sad, i do like a nice lawn!

anyhoo, i did some research online and found a product recommended called 'Dog Rocks' which you add to your dogs drinking water. Its about £12 from Pets at Home and promises to start working within 5 weeks. they do seem to be working,
The packaging does say the rocks need replacing every 2 months however and about 6 weeks in i noticed another burn had appeared so I supplemented the Dog Rocks with an other product recommended to me, a B Complex vitamin supplement called 'Green-ums' (got 'em at Pets at Home also although sure you can find elsewhere)

they seem palatable and i my bitch happily eats them out of my hand twice a day so no messing mashing into feed and hoping they will get eaten by fussy eaters..

i can say through my own experience using first dog rocks then both these 2 products together (just to be sure!) for 2 months now that my lawn is now green and no burn patches :)

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Oh will try that then.. better than running out following the girls with water everytime..! many thanks for the information.

lula

Visit site
you're welcome luci

all i can tell you is they have definitely worked for me since i started in july and my lawn looked a mess before.

I tried water too but i also have along garden and unless you see where they wee while they're actually doing it or can train them to do it in a certain place, its not easy.

Clodagh

Visit site
When I lived in Australia, where a lawn was a preciuis thing they said that a low protein diet solves it. It really did seem to help. We have 3 bitches now (back in England), all on Harringtons (don't know if thats low or not) and our lawn is fine, even where they always go in the morning.

snopuma

Visit site
I know it sounds like an 'old wives tale' but apparently if you put a small amount of ketchup in the in their food like half a teaspoon then they won't burn the grass, my vet actually told me that one!

lula

Visit site
I know it sounds like an 'old wives tale' but apparently if you put a small amount of ketchup in the in their food like half a teaspoon then they won't burn the grass, my vet actually told me that one!

i tried this too, in fact i think i tried everything my research on the internet suggested! bitch didnt like the taste though, althoiugh i must admit i only tried a bit of ketchup on a spoon to start with to see if she'd lick it - no! :(

also heard of tomato juice but someone told me these concentrated tomato products aren't good for a dogs kidneys - maybe too high in salts?.. but as a vet recommended ketchup to you snopuma perhaps that isnt true.

EllieAtkin

New User
Visit site
we've been using dog rocks as well - i had been previously trying to follow her around with a watering can but as our garden is paddock sized it was quite a feat! no more burn patches over here and still a happy healthy excitable dog! :D

ecrozier

Visit site
My dog was terrible for this, our lawn was a hideous sight last year. Tried dog rocks, ketchup, greenums etc etc. Nothing fixed it - he's now on a raw food diet and lo and behold, no burns at all. Lawn looks fab! May not work for bitches perhaps but definitely sorted his problem out!

Luci07

Visit site
The dog rocks work for my 3 ( 2 bitches, 1 dog) though making sure they walk first thing also seems to really help - maybe the first wee of the day is really acidic?

EllieAtkin

New User
Visit site
Haha we did have that problem for a while, but we just put the rocks in a big jug with water in and poured their water bowls from that - so they never saw the rocks. They are used to them now though so we just put them in the bowls.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Mine have a sulphur rock in their water bowl at the mo and have just ordered the rocks - I expect the dogs will wonder what is going on :D

Toast

Visit site
My dog was terrible for this, our lawn was a hideous sight last year. Tried dog rocks, ketchup, greenums etc etc. Nothing fixed it - he's now on a raw food diet and lo and behold, no burns at all. Lawn looks fab! May not work for bitches perhaps but definitely sorted his problem out!

My girls are raw fed and my lawn is a state!! =(