Bitting a youngster

PSD

Visit site
Now it’s been a long time since I’ve had a youngster to start off, I have successfully done a few though and never encountered the issue I’m having with my current one.

She isn’t happy when I’m trying to get her to accept the bit, it’s not the actual having the bit in that is the issue though. She’s happy to open her mouth after a little encouragement and happy to mouth on the bit when it’s in - it’s when I go to take the bit out she freaks. Clamps her mouth shut and goes backwards with it and gets herself into a tizz. Now she’s not headshy, never had any bad handling and her teeth are fine. So I’m baffled as to why she’s reacted this way.

she’s a sensitive soul, no particular reason that’s just her personality. So sometimes she gets herself into a bit of a state when asked to do something new. I’ve bought a pressure/release rope headcollar but haven’t used it yet, as I thought maybe this would help. She’s only had the bit in twice, first time it was the “normal” way, bridle on and off the normal way. Second time I had the cheek piece undone and did it up once the bit was in and then it was undone to release the bit.

any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Is it a case of persistence?

I’m tempted to just stop with the “trying to do the basics myself” and let the professionals do it when she goes away for backing in summer.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
has she maybe dropped it once and knocked her teeth with the bit when taking the bridle off?
I have one that is funny about letting go, she sort of panics and will clonk it on her incisors and then gets unhappy. i have to deliberately hold the bridle up once it's off her ears, and wait for her to open her mouth and let it go in her own time. she wears a double bridle now, works well in it, no other issues in her mouth or around her head, it's just like at some point in her life that process has gone wrong and she's paranoid about it now.

I'm assuming it's a metal bit, have you tried a plastic one just to see if the different feel might change her reaction?
but yeah i think if you are sending her away, it does perhaps make sense to not push the issue.

PSD

Visit site
has she maybe dropped it once and knocked her teeth with the bit when taking the bridle off?
I have one that is funny about letting go, she sort of panics and will clonk it on her incisors and then gets unhappy. i have to deliberately hold the bridle up once it's off her ears, and wait for her to open her mouth and let it go in her own time. she wears a double bridle now, works well in it, no other issues in her mouth or around her head, it's just like at some point in her life that process has gone wrong and she's paranoid about it now.

I'm assuming it's a metal bit, have you tried a plastic one just to see if the different feel might change her reaction?
but yeah i think if you are sending her away, it does perhaps make sense to not push the issue.

possibly, I hadn’t thought of that. I tried her with a metal one initially as I’ve always done that. But when this issue arose I swapped to the harder rubber ones used for in hand youngsters. Still the same issue.

I’m unsure whether to persist until she’s happy or just let her “forget” and leave it to the pros. Wasn’t really sure if they require them to be bitted before they go or not? I’ve never sent one away to be broken before!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
do you know who you will be sending her to? probably worth having a brief chat now if so, then you can ask what they would prefer you to do.

PSD

Visit site
do you know who you will be sending her to? probably worth having a brief chat now if so, then you can ask what they would prefer you to do.

haven’t fully decided yet but I have chatted with the locally highly recommended breaker and they have no issues with how they arrive. Be it feral or ready to sit on! Obviously the length of time she will be there will depend on where she is at when she goes.

half of me thinks persist as I did with her picking feet up (but this is a necessity that she needs to learn) or leave her

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Mine gets a treat when I’m taking his bit out. Means his mouth is working and moving so he’s less Likely to Clamp down. Having had this previously with a horse I was riding for someone, she was 17hh so throwing the head up and running backwards wasn’t ideal when I’m only 5ft1 ??‍♀️ Clearly someone had clacked her teeth with the bit when bitting her. I was keen not to let it happen to my boy.

What bit are you using? I tried a little rubber straight bar and he hated it. Bought a loose ring cyprium drench link and he’s been fine and accepting of it from the first moment I put it in.

I only use treats for training so he gets one before I put the bit in, gets the mouth working, one for accepting the bit whilst I’m doing up the bridle and one when I’m about to take the bridle off. I use the equerry minty treats as they are handy sized and I split a big bag with my friend so you don’t have to buy them often.

Reactions: PSD

southerncomfort

Visit site
My boy is generally very mouthy and chompy.
Anything and everything goes in his mouth for a good chomp and a chew!

Because of this I was really concerned about him clunking his teeth with a metal bit and upsetting himself, so I went for a happy mouth bit which is apple flavoured!

He was very keen to get it in his mouth although slightly surprised to find that he couldn't drop it again!

He's done really well with it but I will be transitioning to a metal bit now as he's nearly ready for backing.

Lyle

Visit site
I’ve found letting them have a mouthful of grass/hay/feed useful, they are chewing anyway and you time the dropping of the bit.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d imagine she has banged her teeth early on. It’s not uncommon. I’d use a thin, light, flexi bit for now, nathe etc.

Have a treat ready for when you remove the bit, get her mouth naturally inclined to open.

Could consider undoing a cheek and taking the bit out sideways rather than down if she persists in running back.

I’d try a few more times but if it’s becoming an issue you aren’t progressing on then stop and leave it for the pro to deal with

PSD

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

it’s possible that she has clunked herself and I just didn’t realise, I’m going to persist for a while and take it slowly with her. She’s a quick learner and once she realises things aren’t too much of a drama she happily accepts.