Bitting solutions for a nappy ass

scruffyponies

Visit site
I'd try a mullen mouth rather than the kimblewick
His kimblewick has a mullen mouth, so without the curb chain it's just a mullen snaffle with D cheeks.

spinning and napping in one direction is worth a further look
I agree, although at this point I'm 80% sure it's a reaction to a rider with one side stronger than the other.

Much of what you say about Archie rings true for him. The last time I hacked him he was the sweetest ride you could wish for. There was nothing to school out!
He does present some of the napping behaviours (not the extreme ones) more often when driven, so I have taken to doing that instead. I can set him up with several unwelcome turns, knowing that he will try at least once or twice to nap in the direction of home, or the usual route. I have to win using voice, and a simple steady contact (not leg or seat) which is harder for me, but a nice low-pressure lesson for him.

Fortunately he is the type where if it all goes pear shaped and I have to jump off to his head, he's a good as gold.

maya2008

Visit site
New Forest ponies (or ponies in general tbh) and weaker riders... I think they just get fed up of the lack of adequate, clear direction. I think also, kids sometimes get over enthusiastic, miss the signs that pony is tired/bored/has had enough, and the pony has to learn to 'shout' stop, rather than asking politely by slowing down etc.

I have an angel of a 13hh New Forest, who I can lead off, get on and off from anywhere, lean down to the floor and retrieve dropped whips/hat silks with my whip/whatever I need. She will hold a steady canter while son and shetland lose their minds and zoom past, without blinking. Even allowed me to pull up (no bucking or shenanigans) when both kids' ponies left (kids decided to have a race...!), and I was leading nervous husband on coblet many months ago. Put a weaker rider on her though and it's a whole different story. She HATES it. Hates the lack of direction, the unclear instructions, the lack of a clear 'boss' keeping her safe. So she'll ditch the useless rider and that will be that.

Old 13.2hh New Forest became child safe in her old age...but would tank with a novice rider (adult or teen) in her younger years. She also had a great 'how many bucks does it take to unseat the rider' game. It came into play if you were boring her in the school, but she never hurt anyone. Just said, 'enough now'.

My son's shetland would run off with a lightweight adult in a snaffle without blinking. Son can ride her in one if she is in a lot of work and is tired. Otherwise, something stronger is needed so he doesn't end up in the next county! She makes her displeasure clear if not keen on the rider, bored or tired. After all, how else do you tell the kid you've had enough?

Bits we've liked:
- Dutch gag (with bit guards/biscuits or they can pinch and cause rearing/bucking)
- Tom Thumb (you need gentle hands, but it's effective - again with bit guards unless for an adult).
- My friend has her New Forest in a Waterford with full cheeks. She says the Micklem is good for him too.

Nosebands:
- We used a grackle on the first New Forest, in combination with a Dutch Gag. Only for a year while she learned to behave though.