Blackthorn splinter in thumb help

PurBee

Visit site
Well yesterday turned out to be a blooper!

I’ve got a teeny piece of blackthorn splinter left in my right thumb, after having pulled out the main piece. Thought i got it all. It’s swollen my thumb, cant bend it well. I soaked it in iodine plaster overnight but still hurts, and I cant squeeze it out. Was getting rid of branches from electric fence lines and was battling brambles, gorse, blackthorn etc

Any suggestions? Its way too small, literally a fibre from the tip of the thorn, to tweezer it out. Will my body absorb it and deal with it? Should i leave it?
(im reminded of a carpenter at work - hardwood splinter - week off work, infection, hence me soaking it in iodine overnight)

Then after that, in the afternoon, i cut my left thumb tip with secateurs, stopping short of cutting it right off! ?

JackFrost

Visit site
I'm not medical, but I know you can get blood poisoning and I think septicemia from it. Blackthorn contains some toxic substance.
A farmer friend had serious problem from it. So maybe ring 111 or your doctor's surgery - if you can get through.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Well yesterday turned out to be a blooper!

I’ve got a teeny piece of blackthorn splinter left in my right thumb, after having pulled out the main piece. Thought i got it all. It’s swollen my thumb, cant bend it well. I soaked it in iodine plaster overnight but still hurts, and I cant squeeze it out. Was getting rid of branches from electric fence lines and was battling brambles, gorse, blackthorn etc

Any suggestions? Its way too small, literally a fibre from the tip of the thorn, to tweezer it out. Will my body absorb it and deal with it? Should i leave it?
(im reminded of a carpenter at work - hardwood splinter - week off work, infection, hence me soaking it in iodine overnight)

Then after that, in the afternoon, i cut my left thumb tip with secateurs, stopping short of cutting it right off! ?

You might have to grit your teeth an get digging with a needle and fine pair of tweezers

Blackthorn splinters really bl**dy hurt, you have my sympathies

PurBee

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice. The problem is that my thumb is now a deep orange colour from the iodine so me nor anyone else can see it.
Can i bleach iodine off skin? A scrub with household bleach?
I thought an overnight plaster would moisten the skin so i could squeeze it out but woke up with it dry!

Rokele55

Visit site
I got a blackthorn splinter in my thumb a few weeks ago. Like yourself, OP, a tiny splinter I couldn't even see. Hurt a bit (lot, ow,ow,ow). Within 24 hours it had created a pus filled bump and then burst out, the bump went down and all was fine. Had it not burst joyfully to the surface I was going to hot tub my thumb in salt water and apply a hot animal lintex, or germoline on a plaster.

Kaycee

Visit site
Speaking from experience, you won't dig it out if it's very small and you can't see it. You need to put something on to draw it out. You can get over the counter drawing cream but I used baking soda (make a paste with a drop of water) and then a plaster to keep it in place. It may take 12 hours or more. Good luck!

PurBee

Visit site
I got a blackthorn splinter in my thumb a few weeks ago. Like yourself, OP, a tiny splinter I couldn't even see. Hurt a bit (lot, ow,ow,ow). Within 24 hours it had created a pus filled bump and then burst out, the bump went down and all was fine. Had it not burst joyfully to the surface I was going to hot tub my thumb in salt water and apply a hot animal lintex, or germoline on a plaster.

great idea - i have animalintex...that could help draw it out. Its lodged in at the the tip knuckle joint on the inside, so bending is compromised. hot compress is needed and puss!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Need to make sure the Animalintex is really wet to start with, and change it regularly. I tried it but it didn't help massively.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I also suggest soaking in hot water, and then putting the old fashioned elastoplast tape, no dressing, and leaving it on for 12 or even 24 hours. I have found this quite successful in the past for drawing out splinters or even stubborn spots and infections.

Animalintex is a good idea though I've never tried it.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Another vote for trying a poultice- if you can draw it a title closer to the surface you might also be able to dig it out with a needle or a Stanley knife type blade (I find a blade is a bit more precise than a needle- just as long as you have a steady hand! ?)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Don't use Animalintex on yourself it can cause blood poisoning.
the best thing for this is magnesium sulphate and glycerine paste .
However if it was me I would excavate it with a penknife .
But that’s not for everyone .

Reactions: J&S

rextherobber

Visit site
This! They generally resolve themselves fairly quickly...Hope yours does too!

Michen

Visit site

Oh but it did a brill job on the boil I came back from Indonesia with a couple of years ago... it burst in the bath ?

Baywonder

Visit site
When I was little, my mum used to slap on some Black Jack Drawing Ointment and a plaster if I had a stubborn splinter!

Disgusting stuff, but it worked. ? ?

ETA I would probably seek medical advice too - and please look out for worsening reddening and / or tracking.

Ceifer

Visit site
Gosh that’s good to know. I’ve used it on my own human ailments before. Not that it actually worked. How does it cause blood poisoning? Just out of interest

hobo

Visit site
Another Magnesium sulphate and covered with the real heavy duty sticky plaster all bought for the horse but used just as much on humans. If not much better quickly you will need to see a doctor blackthorns are nasty buggers.

PurBee

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice - really useful!

A hot poultice sounds best....Will gaffa tape be ok?...as i dont have sticky plaster elastoplast stuff, just regular cloth plasters. Then a scalpel if i can get the skin softened!

This is all going to be done tonight as i have 1 cut thumbtip already out of action, the other thumb is the splinterd one is currently needed, got lots of ‘hand’ work to do!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice - really useful!

A hot poultice sounds best....Will gaffa tape be ok?...as i dont have sticky plaster elastoplast stuff, just regular cloth plasters. Then a scalpel if i can get the skin softened!

This is all going to be done tonight as i have 1 cut thumbtip already out of action, the other thumb is the splinterd one is currently needed, got lots of ‘hand’ work to do!

Have you got any vet wrap?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Get some sulohate paste from the chemist and put it over the area with a plaster or anything covering it - usually if it isnt too far down it will draw out in 12 hours or so. If that doesn't work definitely get it checked out - blackthorn can be very serious if not dealt with properly.

I had one in my knee joint many years ago and ended up almost unable to walk with the swollen knee because I refused to go to A&E with it! I had to go on antibiotics the lot, so please dont shrug it off.