Bloat :( zephyr rip x

emma21

Visit site
I noticed weds evening that my 11 month old husky x lab had a very swollen tummy- instantly worried but he was still play fighting with my other dog and eating and when I touched it it didn't bother him so I rung my boss at the kennels who is an ex-vet and she said if he's not in pain then leave over night. The next morn he was fine eating playing etc and it had gone down abit.

I went to work for 2 hours came home and he wasn't right so I took him straight to my vets; she felt him and said instantly it was bloat. She Said she had never seen a dog hide that amount of pain so well :( he went straight into surgery but it was too far gone and she couldn't do anything.

My poor baby was only 11 months old! So please don't ignore any small signs like I did because it would have saved his life :( rip xx

65cc6744.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

08062011250.jpg

My other dog is really really missing him :( keeps looking for him and is really moping which makes me worse :(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's awful Emma :( so sorry for your loss, he was no age x
Don't feel too bad, as your vet says, he must have been very stoic, usually bloat and torsion come on very quickly and you need to catch it in time, there are things you can do to help prevent it, staggering feeding times and exercise etc but some breeds and some types of dog are more prone to it than others (large dogs with deep chests seem to be more susceptible) and often there is genuinely nothing you can do, hugs for you x

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh god I am so sorry. We lost one to bloat, had him to the vets within minutes of him starting to blow up and he still didn't make it so please don't blame yourself. RIP Zephyr.

Fools Motto

Visit site
So sad to read this. Poor dog. Many hugs to you <<>>

I've never heard of bloat before, which seems stupid considering I've owned dogs for years and years. Is it a common illness? Is it often fatal?

Sorry for your loss again. x

millimoo

Visit site
So so sorry for your loss.
My mums bullmastiff had it, and if you saw the state of him he was hunched, tucked up, severely panting and couldnt lie down. It was an awful sight, and he was clearly in a lot of distress ... Unlike you dog.
We were lucky and my mums dog was operated on at 1.30am in the morning, 2 years ago and he's still with us thankfully.
You must be so devasted to lose such a lovely dog. You have my deepest sympathies xxx

smiffyimp

Visit site
I am so sorry. Mt Setter got bloat and 360 o torsions about 18month ago, 6 month from finishing chemo for meningitis. I had no idea what it was, but thankfully she shouts when she is in pain. We got her to the vets at 1am and I was told - say goodbye. By some miracle she is still here but one thing is for sure, when you've experienced a dog with with bloat you'll never forget it.

My thoughts and hugs are with you. XXX

smiffyimp

Visit site
I just thought I might add, for readers info, bloat does not always mean the dog will bloat up - often it doesnt, think of a horse with colic and twisted gut. One thing that does happen more times than not is the dog trying to be sick, but nothing comes out.
DO NOT give water
Get to vet ASAP
Most (sadly not in this case) sever pain will be seen.
Time is off the essence
No real reason for cause, but if fed a dry feed, best soak with water
Usually seen in breeds with deep barreled chests (such as Setters!)

OP - not hijacking, but the more warnings of this horrible condition, the better.X

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Oh bloody hell, Emma, I am absolutely devastated for you. :( My biggest hugs, this is just appalling. I'm so terribly sorry for you. Run free, beautiful boy.

Alexart

Visit site
That's awful poor puppy, am so sorry!:( Don't beat yourself up they are hard to spot and can appear in a very short space of time, I used to work at a vets and out of the 6 torsion ops I've ever helped with only 1 survived which was down to luck more than anything, and as others have said it is usually deep chested breeds that get it more often than not, so it is just really unlucky that your pup got it.

emma21

Visit site
Thank you so so much for all your kind messages and support it really means alot to me x he was a lovely puppy and ill remember all the good times x its just horrible how much my other dog keeps looking for him and is just moping :( makes me all upset again. Thank you again xxxx

oh how awful, rip puppy!! dont blame yourself, try and remember the happy times!! :)

his paws in the first pic are huuuugggge! hes very cute :)

I know :) he did have rather large feet and all claws on one paw were white and all claws on the other foot were black :)

I just thought I might add, for readers info, bloat does not always mean the dog will bloat up - often it doesnt, think of a horse with colic and twisted gut. One thing that does happen more times than not is the dog trying to be sick, but nothing comes out.
DO NOT give water
Get to vet ASAP
Most (sadly not in this case) sever pain will be seen.
Time is off the essence
No real reason for cause, but if fed a dry feed, best soak with water
Usually seen in breeds with deep barreled chests (such as Setters!)

OP - not hijacking, but the more warnings of this horrible condition, the better.X

Not a problem hijack away :) I wish Id known more and hopefully it can help other doggies and their owners.

Brownmare

Visit site
So sorry for your loss :( I too have never seen bloat in a dog but I have seen it in cattle and it is treated by inserting a stomach tube to release the gas. Does anyone know if this can be done with a dog too? Obviously not once a torsion is already present but if you spot it in time would it work?